Post-Game Talk: De Ja vu 4-3 in shootout

McDeathbyCheerios*

Scrivens may be an issue, but I'm really hesitant to go down that road until the defense gets massively overhauled. There's simply no point.
I'm not. Yes the defense makes mistakes but they have been a bit better. Scrivens let's in far to many goals most games for how many shots he sees. Maybe it's a confidence thing like Dubnyk but right now he has shown he is not starter material.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Scrivens may be an issue, but I'm really hesitant to go down that road until the defense gets massively overhauled. There's simply no point.

A competent goalie makes all your Dmen better as much as the other way around. I keep hearing how horrible our D is and it is poor but half the goals I see go in have nothing to do with atrocious D play but rather stoppable pucks not being stopped.

The tending this year has been as bad as Dubbys horror year last year, the only difference is that dubby looked worse because he was letting in stoppable blue line shots.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The post saved Scrivens on numerous occasions, although it was post filled game on both sides. For me, it's frustrating because it isn't the goals he gives up that really bothers me (he battles hard), it's the fact that he can't make that key save when it matters. :cry:

(

Scrivens is also being overplayed. He was brought here to be part of a 1A/1B tandem. Due to injuries and generally bringing inferior play in every way Fasth hasn't held up his end of the bargain. Which means Eakins is thrown into the fire every night on a very bad team which is exhausting for a goalie. Scrivens is starting to exhibit some mixed focus that we saw so much of in games from Dubnyk where Dubs would loose the puck easily, not track well, not be set well, and would go down way too much.

A goalies game bends to bad habits when theres incoming rubber all the time. You start to get off your game. its natural for goalies that GA can breed bad things, questioning style, bad habits.

The Scrivens that came here was good. We still see that came from time to time from him when he's not overwhelmed. he is getting too much action. I don't think he's a guy that can carry the load. He could be very useful as a guy getting 40 or so games.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Teams don't even have to watch video on Scrivens anymore. Forecheck hard on him if he's playing the puck, and shoot high.

If he was Ben Bishop's size, (or even DD ha ha ha), his style would work, but he leaves both corners wide open every single time.

Granted, we gave them some pretty wide-open chances, but no one in the entire building thinks he's going to steal a game for us.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
A few things bug me about Scrivens:

Big supporter of Dallas "fecal matter" Eakins

Called out his team mates when he was one of the major culprits

His attitude after being scored on. He is always glaring at and giving attitude to his dmen.

Shut your mouth, know your place.

Misplaced nick name

Brutal puck handling

Bad rebound control. Hell, bad decision making in general.

If he cleans this up he can be our back up next year.:laugh:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
During the Oilers/Leafs game, I was watching the Leafs feed and they did mention that Scrivens was known for being weak high and having a poor glove hand. I love how he battles and IMO is a perfectly competent NHL backup, but he's just not starting material...after a few consecutive games his form starts to fall apart and he starts overplaying everything and overhandling the puck (which is hilarious as he's such a poor decision-maker when the puck's on his stick and facing an oncoming forechecker).

The Oilers simply have to get someone better as a starter. As a backup playing 20-25 games a year, no problem.

Overall, I can't really feel too bad about the effort from the Oilers. There were long stretches where they were soundly outplaying Columbus, with even a little luck this would've easily been a 5-2 win.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
That first goal was on Marincin. How is Scrivens supposed to track the puck when his own d is screening him and letting a BJ screen him too.
He is a soft wimpy tweener. This and his block *attempt* on Crosby the other day would be enough to make me send him back to the AHL.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'm still sore about this one since Perron's underlying reason for leaving was management (MacT's brilliant mandate that the tight three stay a unit and we only need two NHL centers) and that we sold him off during the Eakins era when the return was poor.

At least Perron was the only casualty during Eakin's time, imagine if we had sold Yakupov around then as well...

Petry is another.

What is Nelson's record before and after Petry was traded.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A few things bug me about Scrivens:

Big supporter of Dallas "fecal matter" Eakins

Called out his team mates when he was one of the major culprits

His attitude after being scored on. He is always glaring at and giving attitude to his dmen.

Shut your mouth, know your place.

Misplaced nick name

Brutal puck handling

Bad rebound control. Hell, bad decision making in general.

If he cleans this up he can be our back up next year.:laugh:

You know what? One of the most positive attributes of Scrivens when he came here last season was his barking out positions on the ice, giving the defenders verbal instruction in real time and the marked improvement in play during that time that led to a drastic decrease in GA and even shutouts. Its was like seeing a completely different team, and a non Eakins team, for a brief period of time. I really think, and said so at the time that Scrivens kind of took over on the ice and the team bailed on whatever stupid Eakins strategy of the month it was..

Also nothing wrong with a goalie that gets up in peoples face. Ranford did it a lot. Would do it with raw rookies. Its personality based. You don't get rid of somebody just because of that.

In fact the first thing needed on a team with a losing attitude that isn't focused enough, that isn't competing enough, is for players to take control of that and point it out. Which creates dialog if properly done.

I would say of the two Fasth has been far more negative than Scrivens. I mean Fasth broke his stick, was swearing at players and glaring at them after getting pulled one game. To me that meant a guy that didn't even consider himself part of the team or want to.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
During the Oilers/Leafs game, I was watching the Leafs feed and they did mention that Scrivens was known for being weak high and having a poor glove hand. I love how he battles and IMO is a perfectly competent NHL backup, but he's just not starting material...after a few consecutive games his form starts to fall apart and he starts overplaying everything and overhandling the puck (which is hilarious as he's such a poor decision-maker when the puck's on his stick and facing an oncoming forechecker).

The Oilers simply have to get someone better as a starter. As a backup playing 20-25 games a year, no problem.

Overall, I can't really feel too bad about the effort from the Oilers. There were long stretches where they were soundly outplaying Columbus, with even a little luck this would've easily been a 5-2 win.

Yep. Scrivens is a mop up goalie, I think a very good one in that capacity. This is not the ideal set for him as he needs a number 1. That said I think he's done reasonably well here considering. Starting goal here is a task that few netminders do well at here. Context should probably be considered. I wasn't giving Dubs enough slack with that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This is basically the Dubnyk thing all over again. Yeah, Scrivens might be a bad goalie. He probably is. However, there really is zero way of knowing this with the current blueline. Dubnyk has dropped a Vezina like season in Minnesota and looked as bad, if not worse, than Scrivens.

Fix the blueline first and foremost or no goalie is ever going to succeed in Edmonton,

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
If we could land even Chris Stewart in the off season and have a top 9 of,

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
Purcell - Lander - Stewart

Man we would be in good shape.

I think of our shot totals and how many goals we are scoring then remember.... Hall is still out...

U think like I think. I would love to have Stewart. Can you imagine running those 3 lines with the Wagon Line? Take some picks (I believe we have 6 in first 3 rounds) and get our goalie a Dmen. I had big hopes for Boychuk but those were dashed.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2015&pos=ALL

I like MacQuaid and Oduya. Who do u think?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
A competent goalie makes all your Dmen better as much as the other way around. I keep hearing how horrible our D is and it is poor but half the goals I see go in have nothing to do with atrocious D play but rather stoppable pucks not being stopped.

The tending this year has been as bad as Dubbys horror year last year, the only difference is that dubby looked worse because he was letting in stoppable blue line shots.

I reckon this year is worse since Scrivens is good for a goal on every first shot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You know what? One of the most positive attributes of Scrivens when he came here last season was his barking out positions on the ice, giving the defenders verbal instruction in real time and the marked improvement in play during that time that led to a drastic decrease in GA and even shutouts. Its was like seeing a completely different team, and a non Eakins team, for a brief period of time. I really think, and said so at the time that Scrivens kind of took over on the ice and the team bailed on whatever stupid Eakins strategy of the month it was..

Also nothing wrong with a goalie that gets up in peoples face. Ranford did it a lot. Would do it with raw rookies. Its personality based. You don't get rid of somebody just because of that.

In fact the first thing needed on a team with a losing attitude that isn't focused enough, that isn't competing enough, is for players to take control of that and point it out. Which creates dialog if properly done.

I would say of the two Fasth has been far more negative than Scrivens. I mean Fasth broke his stick, was swearing at players and glaring at them after getting pulled one game. To me that meant a guy that didn't even consider himself part of the team or want to.

This. Scrivens is NOT a negative person. He's a very smart, humble guy, who's in WAY over his head. He shouldn't play more than 30 or so games, and he's being asked to be the starter, behind a brutal defense

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

I don't have a problem with a goalie barking at players to help them with their positioning or if they have time to make a play or what not. That's completely different then glaring at and giving attitude in an attempt to mask your own inadequacies.

In an interview earlier in the year Toews said he wouldn't step up and call out his team unless his game was squared away. He said he would be too embarrassed to. Here we have a career back up, self appointed leader, playing like **** ,stepping in there and talking crap. I don't think that helped the situation at all. I'd put that on par with Eakins throwing the team under the bus. I wouldn't be surprised if the master psychologist Eakins put him up to it.

I don't think Fasth will be here after this season. Unfortunately our backup is untradeable at 2mil per.:(

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't have a problem with a goalie barking at players to help them with their positioning or if they have time to make a play or what not. That's completely different then glaring at and giving attitude in an attempt to mask your own inadequacies.

In an interview earlier in the year Toews said he wouldn't step up and call out his team unless his game was squared away. He said he would be too embarrassed to. Here we have a career back up, self appointed leader, playing like **** ,stepping in there and talking crap. I don't think that helped the situation at all. I'd put that on par with Eakins throwing the team under the bus. I wouldn't be surprised if the master psychologist Eakins put him up to it.

I don't think Fasth will be here after this season. Unfortunately our backup is untradeable at 2mil per.:(

Thanks for clarifying. When you stated Scrivens should know his place it threw me off. Because one of the benefits of getting Scrivens last year is he adopted on ice coaching duties on a club where he could see right away everything was out of whack. I considered Scrivens a better coach than Eakins and said so at the time.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
First game I've watched in some time, and overall an enjoyable game to watch (haven't said that too many times this year). Some of my thoughts and what stood out:

Scrivens is not a starting goalie. I counted several chances given to Colombus as a direct result of his decision making/playing the puck. At best, he's a 1B - we need a guy that can start 50+ games next year.

The Oilers in general seem to be laying the body a lot more than even earlier this year. Was nice to see a lot of players throwing their weight around.

I thought our D was ok - few mistakes, but those will happen every game. Just need your goalie to bail you out sometimes, which didn't happen today. Klefbom will be something special - I've really enjoyed watching him play. Plays physical, great skating and has some offensive ability as well. Really hoping he can continue to progress into next season. Schultz was Schultz - made mistakes, and wasn't impressed by him. At this point, he really should be playing on a third pairing, with PP minutes. Fayne was solid. Marincin look pretty good - he's starting to build up his confidence. I thought Nikitin was ok. Looked a little lost in the D-zone, which is to be expected when he's been out for some time. Really liked what he brought to the powerplay. I'm very interested to see how he plays for the last 10 games.

Eberle looked really good IMO. Was buzzing offensively, and noticed him on the backcheck. Made some really slick plays, and looks like he did a couple seasons back. I thought RNH was ok - seemed to be fighting the puck a bit tonight, but still managed a goal. Pouliot is a great compliment for that duo. He gets in on the forecheck, and makes space for his linemates. I really want to see him stick with that line.

Yakupov looked good at times, but also made some stupid mistakes. But can't argue with a 2 point night. The whole wagon line was pretty effective, kept the other team hemmed in their own zone at times, and wasn't shy in laying the body.

Solid game overall. If they continued to play like this, I might have to start watching a little more often.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for clarifying. When you stated Scrivens should know his place it threw me off. Because one of the benefits of getting Scrivens last year is he adopted on ice coaching duties on a club where he could see right away everything was out of whack. I considered Scrivens a better coach than Eakins and said so at the time.

:laugh:...very true... I had a random thought about Eakins last night. So, the worlds are coming up pretty soon. What are the chances he gets picked up to coach that team? View attachment 80717

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Scrivens has cost us too many games with his awful puck-handling skills and bad games sprinkled in with the good ones

we should've won last night but Scrivens let in some bad goals...but maybe thats a positive we only got 1-point
#McEichel

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Scrivens has cost us too many games with his awful puck-handling skills and bad games sprinkled in with the good ones

we should've won last night but Scrivens let in some bad goals...but maybe thats a positive we only got 1-point
#McEichel

My own take is we lost because we have lunchbuckets like Hamilton and Kilinkhammer that are incapable of scoring that can't even put pucks in empty nets.

That's the problem when you have so many outright scrubs in your lineup. its that sometimes the scoring chances fall their way and you get nothing out of it always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad