Post-Game Talk: De Ja vu 4-3 in shootout

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just back from game.
Just some observations:

Nikitin is an AHL defenceman making 4.5m
Scrivens just doesn't have it to be a #1, a decent back up but no more.
Felt a little sorry for Lander stuck with 2 plugs.
Yak is really figuring things out now. I think his bad times are behind him (**** *** Eakins)
Really liking Klefbom's game, been pleasantly surprised he is bringing some offence too.
Noticed so many players whiffing on shots and passes tonite, was anything said on TV about state of ice?

Late first period the sports net guys mentioned the bad ice. Oilers have a badly out dated ice plant I've heard. One that is in dire need of replacement but won't be because new arena is on the way.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Would you guys trade for Robin Lehner. Looks like Ottawa has 3 good goalies. Anderson is their #1 and Hammond would be a cheaper back up than Lehner. Don't know what it would take to acquire him.

I wouldn't mind taking a go at him. Whenever Ottawa goalies are brought up though, Sens fans start throwing Hall and Eberle's names around as returns. If the cost is anywhere near that, **** no.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn't mind taking a go at him. Whenever Ottawa goalies are brought up though, Sens fans start throwing Hall and Eberle's names around as returns. If the cost is anywhere near that, **** no.

Don't get me started on the Anderson ones especially. Those trade proposals lately are just downright embarrassing. I thought the Backlund one was the worse. People say we overvalue our players, but then I see how overrated flame fans rate him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'll give Scrivens some leash here.

First goal was a corner snipe from a guy allowed to walk right into low slot with all kinds of time. Just sinful Defending on the play. Deserved GA.

Second goal was screened by Bourque who was screening Scrivens for too long and needed to be picked up. No D cleared him or even thought about it dispute Scrivens trying to push Bourque out himself. Message to NHL D, when your goalie is repeatedly trying to clear a player from in front of the net this is 100% evidence you're not doing your job. Klef and Schultz ftr.

3rd goal kind of weak but also screen. But heres the deal. Look at the Oilers on ice. Its all AHL forwards, really a bad line, and backed by Nikitin in his first game in months and Ference who is all NHL horrible. With apologies to Lander this is the worst 5 players that an NHL team will ice at ANY point in a game all week. Nelson put this config out the shift after taking the lead. That is HORRIBLE bench and game management and I'll call Nelson out on that entirely. That was a gongshow shift and nobody will remember but Scrivens saved the day earlier in that shift punching out a puck with 2 jackets in area waiting to pounce on the puck in an outnumbered situation. That was a goal right there if SCrivens doesn't get that puck out. As it is the 5 oilers on the ice continued to fail and the inevitable GA occurred.

That's the kind of unit you throw out on the ice if your org truly is 100% committed to the tank. Just abysmal. Your #1 pick scores a huge 3rd period goal and you follow it up with that unit which throws the game. I'm still pissed at that.

I'm a Nelson fan saying that. This is textbook why you don't just rotate lines all the time. Nelson needed to shorten the bench with minutes left there and a 3rd period lead at home. This was our game without that lack of game management.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Would you guys trade for Robin Lehner. Looks like Ottawa has 3 good goalies. Anderson is their #1 and Hammond would be a cheaper back up than Lehner. Don't know what it would take to acquire him.

I don't think he's much better than what we have. I'd rather go after a Nuevrith/Enroth type goalie and also I'd move the pit 1st for a fucale or subban type prospect

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I'd take a run at Lehner, depending on cost. He's still very young, and has all the tools you'd want from a NHL goalie. Problem is I don't want Scrivens/Lehner as the tandem next season, so if they did manage to grab him I'd want Scrivens gone and someone else in there.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

First goal was a corner snipe from a guy allowed to walk right into low slot with all kinds of time. Just sinful Defending on the play. Deserved GA.

Second goal was screened by Bourque who was screening Scrivens for too long and needed to be picked up. No D cleared him or even thought about it dispute Scrivens trying to push Bourque out himself. Message to NHL D, when your goalie is repeatedly trying to clear a player from in front of the net this is 100% evidence you're not doing your job. Klef and Schultz ftr.

3rd goal kind of weak but also screen. But heres the deal. Look at the Oilers on ice. Its all AHL forwards, really a bad line, and backed by Nikitin in his first game in months and Ference who is all NHL horrible. With apologies to Lander this is the worst 5 players that an NHL team will ice at ANY point in a game all week. Nelson put this config out the shift after taking the lead. That is HORRIBLE bench and game management and I'll call Nelson out on that entirely. That was a gongshow shift and nobody will remember but Scrivens saved the day earlier in that shift punching out a puck with 2 jackets in area waiting to pounce on the puck in an outnumbered situation. That was a goal right there if SCrivens doesn't get that puck out. As it is the 5 oilers on the ice continued to fail and the inevitable GA occurred.

That's the kind of unit you throw out on the ice if your org truly is 100% committed to the tank. Just abysmal. Your #1 pick scores a huge 3rd period goal and you follow it up with that unit which throws the game. I'm still pissed at that.

I'm a Nelson fan saying that. This is textbook why you don't just rotate lines all the time. Nelson needed to shorten the bench with minutes left there and a 3rd period lead at home. This was our game without that lack of game management.

I agree that Scrivens wasn't to blame. I thought Nelson ran the bench well. We outplayed them badly. More often than not you get a W from that effort.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
I don't think he's much better than what we have. I'd rather go after a Nuevrith/Enroth type goalie and also I'd move the pit 1st for a fucale or subban type prospect

Want nothing to do with Fucale. Bust waiting to happen IMO.

Neuvirth probably the best option out there right now.

What we really need is another Roloson to fall into our laps.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree that Scrivens wasn't to blame. I thought Nelson ran the bench well. We outplayed them badly. More often than not you get a W from that effort.

like I said I'm a Nelson fan. But in solid game management experienced coaches would not follow up that potential game winning goal with a unit composed of 3 AHLers and NIkitin and Ference. putting those 5 together being even worse.

No reason not to shorten to 3 lines there and ride out the result. Jackets already had heads down after Yak goal. Then salivate as Nelson throws up the next unit.

Also, anybody blaming Klinkhammer and Hamilton for pure misses of wide open nets. Klink staring at 4 feet of empty net and hits the post. Hamilton has all kinds of time on his forehand staring at an easy tuck in with goalie beat on a wide open break and loses puck. Why are some of these guys even in the NHL? Been asking this since they've been in the lineup.

Klink isn't even hitting much anymore and when he does taking stupid penalties. Multiple players in the lineup that shouldn't be in the NHL period.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just back from game.
Just some observations:

Nikitin is an AHL defenceman making 4.5m
Scrivens just doesn't have it to be a #1, a decent back up but no more.
Felt a little sorry for Lander stuck with 2 plugs.
Yak is really figuring things out now. I think his bad times are behind him (**** *** Eakins)
Really liking Klefbom's game, been pleasantly surprised he is bringing some offence too.
Noticed so many players whiffing on shots and passes tonite, was anything said on TV about state of ice?

I did hear something mentioned about the ice in the first period but wasn't paying close enough attention to remember exactly what it was. Sorry.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
like I said I'm a Nelson fan. But in solid game management experienced coaches would not follow up that potential game winning goal with a unit composed of 3 AHLers and NIkitin and Ference. putting those 5 together being even worse.

No reason not to shorten to 3 lines there and ride out the result. Jackets already had heads down after Yak goal. Then salivate as Nelson throws up the next unit.

Also, anybody blaming Klinkhammer and Hamilton for pure misses of wide open nets. Klink staring at 4 feet of empty net and hits the post. Hamilton has all kinds of time on his forehand staring at an easy tuck in with goalie beat on a wide open break and loses puck. Why are some of these guys even in the NHL? Been asking this since they've been in the lineup.

Klink isn't even hitting much anymore and when he does taking stupid penalties. Multiple players in the lineup that shouldn't be in the NHL period.
Where are all those people who were saying Klinkhammer is better for this team than Perron? I still puke in my mouth when I think about Mactavish listing him as one of the reasons this team is playing better instead of Nelson's coaching over Eakin's.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

The post saved Scrivens on numerous occasions, although it was post filled game on both sides. For me, it's frustrating because it isn't the goals he gives up that really bothers me (he battles hard), it's the fact that he can't make that key save when it matters. :cry:

I did hear something mentioned about the ice in the first period but wasn't paying close enough attention to remember exactly what it was. Sorry.

They mentioned the ice being really bad towards the end of the first, but that's the case with any ice surface in any building. The ice is bad at the end of a period.

Where are all those people who were saying Klinkhammer is better for this team than Perron? I still puke in my mouth when I think about Mactavish listing him as one of the reasons this team is playing better instead of Nelson's coaching over Eakin's.

I have never read anywhere on this forum where people have said Klinkhammer is better for this team than Perron. Maybe the odd person did say it (I'm not doubting you), but I think it's a given that the majority wish we still had him. :(

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The post saved Scrivens on numerous occasions, although it was post filled game on both sides. For me, it's frustrating because it isn't the goals he gives up that really bothers me (he battles hard), it's the fact that he can't make that key save when it matters. :cry:

They mentioned the ice being really bad towards the end of the first, but that's the case with any ice surface in any building. The ice is bad at the end of a period.

I have never read anywhere on this forum where people have said Klinkhammer is better for this team than Perron. Maybe the odd person did say it (I'm not doubting you), but I think it's a given that the majority wish we still had him. :(
There were a few in particular (they know who they were) who were trying so hard to justify that trade that they were gushing over Klinkhammer's physicallity saying that alone was worth more than what Perron was bringing. Especially since they knew for a fact he didn't want to be here. Go back and look at that thread it was nauseating.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
The post saved Scrivens on numerous occasions, although it was post filled game on both sides. For me, it's frustrating because it isn't the goals he gives up that really bothers me (he battles hard), it's the fact that he can't make that key save when it matters.

The "key save" thing is a longstanding myth. Every save is "key" and "when it matters" is all the time. Goals will happen but the better goalies or teams just limit them or score enough to give them room.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
There were a few in particular (they know who they were) who were trying so hard to justify that trade that they were gushing over Klinkhammer's physicallity saying that alone was worth more than what Perron was bringing. Especially since they knew for a fact he didn't want to be here. Go back and look at that thread it was nauseating.

I'm still sore about this one since Perron's underlying reason for leaving was management (MacT's brilliant mandate that the tight three stay a unit and we only need two NHL centers) and that we sold him off during the Eakins era when the return was poor.

At least Perron was the only casualty during Eakin's time, imagine if we had sold Yakupov around then as well...

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Someone make a gif of that Hamilton wide open miss, pretty much sums up this game. Dekes goalie out of his pants then having a wide open net no more than 2 feet away he misses?! I lol'ed hard after seeing that replay.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We are racking up huge shot totals and scoring more goals with Nelson and he is putting players in position to succeed (Yakupov, Lander etc).

The team is very watchable now as opposed to losing and being a boring pile of crap under freakins.

Goaltending flat out sucks and has all year other than a handful of games.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Losing 4-3 and 5-4 is something we would have killed for earlier in the season.

We dress a backup goalie, and have 3 bottom pairing D, 2 mid pairing D, and a Captain who should be in the press box bugging media guys about their recycling.

Scoring and losing is what I expect, so I'm fine with the play.

Give Lander NHL players to center, and it will make things instantly better.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Losing 4-3 and 5-4 is something we would have killed for earlier in the season.

We dress a backup goalie, and have 3 bottom pairing D, 2 mid pairing D, and a Captain who should be in the press box bugging media guys about their recycling.

Scoring and losing is what I expect, so I'm fine with the play.

Give Lander NHL players to center, and it will make things instantly better.
If we could land even Chris Stewart in the off season and have a top 9 of,

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
Purcell - Lander - Stewart

Man we would be in good shape.

I think of our shot totals and how many goals we are scoring then remember.... Hall is still out...

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Scrivens may be an issue, but I'm really hesitant to go down that road until the defense gets massively overhauled. There's simply no point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad