Post-Game Talk: De Ja vu 4-3 in shootout

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You know it's a bad year when we can't even beat Columbus at home, a team that we usually pad our stats against.

I harken back to the night Hemsky/Penner/Gagner had like 13 points against them.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
That Hamilton play where he froze the goalie and himself, couldn't put the puck in a wide open net he made for himself. He probably had nightmares last night!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That Hamilton play where he froze the goalie and himself, couldn't put the puck in a wide open net he made for himself. He probably had nightmares last night!

Funny thing is, he's had many chances to score from Yak's dishes that he couldn't score on as well.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Funny thing is, he's had many chances to score from Yak's dishes that he couldn't score on as well.

Yak has 10 more points on the season if Hamilton could put away the easiest set ups ever.

It reminds me of Hemsky and Horcoff. Hemsky would do all the work, deke through, and set up Horcoff who has a goal on a platter, and he'd whiff. Two 100 points scorers if Horcoff didn't have the heaviest hands in the league.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm still sore about this one since Perron's underlying reason for leaving was management (MacT's brilliant mandate that the tight three stay a unit and we only need two NHL centers) and that we sold him off during the Eakins era when the return was poor.

At least Perron was the only casualty during Eakin's time, imagine if we had sold Yakupov around then as well...
It really is scary how close we came to a complete disaster. Not that what happened during his time here wasn't bad enough but I remember Stauffer saying shortly after Eakins first season started that if the team struggled it would be players moved out before the coach. He was making it sound like the organization had felt that after so many different coaches that if problems continued then it must be the players themselves. He implied that core players were included in this. Thank God that somewhere along the line somebody got smart and wouldn't let evaluations under Eakins decide the future of these kids and put some restrictions on Mactavish. It sure looked like he was ready to start dealing some of the core in the month before he fired Eakins.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It really is scary how close we came to a complete disaster. Not that what happened during his time here wasn't bad enough but I remember Stauffer saying shortly after Eakins first season started that if the team struggled it would be players moved out before the coach. He was making it sound like the organization had felt that after so many different coaches that if problems continued then it must be the players themselves. He implied that core players were included in this. Thank God that somewhere along the line somebody got smart and wouldn't let evaluations under Eakins decide the future of these kids and put some restrictions on Mactavish. It sure looked like he was ready to start dealing some of the core in the month before he fired Eakins.

To me MacT's love of "the core" is the one thing keeping him being a truly terrible GM. He had a blindness about Eakins and was very devoted to him (and maybe still is), but his devotion to the idea of "the core" is greater. So no matter how many bad moves he's made, he hasn't made a stupid trade to ship Eberle out of town, even when the fans were demanding it just to balance out the roster better.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
To me MacT's love of "the core" is the one thing keeping him being a truly terrible GM. He had a blindness about Eakins and was very devoted to him (and maybe still is), but his devotion to the idea of "the core" is greater. So no matter how many bad moves he's made, he hasn't made a stupid trade to ship Eberle out of town, even when the fans were demanding it just to balance out the roster better.
I don't know this for a fact but with the serious rumors that were circulating towards the end of November and beginning of December it really looked like Mactavish WAS shopping some of his big names around. I can't remember the exact game it was right now but the Oilers laid a big egg and Twitter blew up over that weekend with rumors of just about everybody involved. That was when Bob Nicholson went on Primetime Sports that Monday and announced he was now involved on the hockey side and the team wasn't trading any of the kids. With the timing of that I really believe something came close to happening that weekend and somebody higher than Mactavish stepped in and put a stop to it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I am surprised so many are down about this game. We killed them really, Mchilleny (or however you spell his name, the goalie) had a great game.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't know this for a fact but with the serious rumors that were circulating towards the end of November and beginning of December it really looked like Mactavish WAS shopping some of his big names around. I can't remember the exact game it was right now but the Oilers laid a big egg and Twitter blew up over that weekend with rumors of just about everybody involved. That was when Bob Nicholson went on Primetime Sports that Monday and announced he was now involved on the hockey side and the team wasn't trading any of the kids. With the timing of that I really believe something came close to happening that weekend and somebody higher than Mactavish stepped in and put a stop to it.

stands.jpg

could be either one....my bet is on ginge-zilla though

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

You know the idea that too many coaches have been fired and eventually it has to come back to the players is good logic as well... trouble is it is contingent on not hiring a Pejorative Slur as head coach. If you struggle with a solid head coach then yes address the roster but Eakins was so obviously a terrible coach. Shame that McTavish probably still doesn't realize how badly that man set this team back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad