DD scoring for the OT Lou4Gehrig! 2-1 vs Flyers

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
I for one cheered loudly when DD scored since I want the Habs to WIN. I don't care who wins it for us.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
I'll just wait to see if we enter the playoffs under "status quo", and let the answers reveal themselves. I can talk about it all you want, but it'll be easier when you see for yourself (again). At least Pricer seems ready this year to make up for the mistake of leaning on Desharnais to lead the offensive charge.

Ya, DD is not built for playoff hockey. There's a reason teams in the west and Boston in the east do well in the playoffs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Ya, DD is not built for playoff hockey. There's a reason teams in the west and Boston in the east do well in the playoffs.

How do you explain the Rangers and Habs in the east final? ...and Chicago with 2 cups the last 4 years(or is it 5)?

Skill beats size.

That being said, the Habs have moved a lot of small players out and added bigger players...Gionta Cammalleri Bouillon Weber Diaz out. Gonchar Beaulieu Emelin Gilbert Weise Sekac Eller Galchenyuk in. Overall the Habs are pretty average sized.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
I'll just wait to see if we enter the playoffs under "status quo", and let the answers reveal themselves. I can talk about it all you want, but it'll be easier when you see for yourself (again). At least Pricer seems ready this year to make up for the mistake of leaning on Desharnais to lead the offensive charge.

1) What does that mean?

2) I'm pretty sure Pricer doesn't give 2 ***** who's "leading the offensive charge". And for the record, that's Pacioretty. Not DD. But whatever you say!

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Skill beats size.

Absolutely.

But an equally skilled larger player will do better in the playoffs than a smaller player and DD doesn't have the skill to overcome his size disadvantage come playoff time.

He certainly didn't carry Montreal on his back.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
1) What does that mean?

Regular season Davey without a change in role turns into a ghost in the playoffs, and our team goal scoring suffers for it. We know this. And yet again we'll be faced with emergency line/role juggling trying to find the right formula for playoff production - something good teams start setting the ground work for in the regular season. DD has not yet shown the ability to make up for his lack of size with skill in the playoffs, and I doubt he ever will. It would be a serious bonus if he did, but at this point in his career, we've probably seen his best already.

2) I'm pretty sure Pricer doesn't give 2 ***** who's "leading the offensive charge". And for the record, that's Pacioretty. Not DD. But whatever you say!

I'm pretty sure that Price would enjoy the odd insurance goal here and there, with fewer nights of standing on his head until the final buzzer to preserve 1 goal/tied games. Desharnais continues to get the most offensive zone starts at centre and is used preferentially on the first wave of the powerplay... which sucks. Desharnais is sent out as the setup man for our best forward... which sucks, but at least Pacioretty can score playing with anyone.

In this game, for example, despite being completely invisible for over 60 minutes with goose eggs across the entire stat line, he played more minutes than Plekanec (every forward except Pacioretty, actually) as we squeaked out a 2-1 OT win against Philly, for god's sake, and he managed to set up Max with 2 whole ES shots all game (with DD at the PP's helm, I think we managed 4 shots over 3 PPs).

But his errant pass ended up in just the right place for some luck in OT, so it's all good, right? I guess so...

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Regular season Davey without a change in role turns into a ghost in the playoffs, and our team goal scoring suffers for it. We know this. And yet again we'll be faced with emergency line/role juggling trying to find the right formula for playoff production - something good teams start setting the ground work for in the regular season. DD has not yet shown the ability to make up for his lack of size with skill in the playoffs, and I doubt he ever will. It would be a serious bonus if he did, but at this point in his career, we've probably seen his best already.

You're basing this on:

1) A 5-game series against Ottawa ridiculed by injuries (including Patches).

2) A 17-game stretch last year where he scored at .45 PPG pace, which I think is close to his career Regular Season average???

I think the real test will be this year's playoffs. But go ahead and make some early assumptions based on 22 GP. Remember when people did the same thing with Carey Price?

I'm pretty sure that Price would enjoy the odd insurance goal here and there, with fewer nights of standing on his head until the final buzzer to preserve 1 goal/tied games. Desharnais continues to get the most offensive zone starts at centre and is used preferentially on the first wave of the powerplay... which sucks. Desharnais is sent out as the setup man for our best forward... which sucks, but at least Pacioretty can score playing with anyone.

In this game, for example, despite being completely invisible for over 60 minutes with goose eggs across the entire stat line, he played more minutes than Plekanec (every forward except Pacioretty, actually) as we squeaked out a 2-1 OT win against Philly, for god's sake, and he managed to set up Max with 2 whole ES shots all game (with DD at the PP's helm, I think we managed 4 shots over 3 PPs).

But his errant pass ended up in just the right place for some luck in OT, so it's all good, right? I guess so...

A lot of people had goose eggs across their entire stat line.

What was his Corsi?

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2014020801

It was 6. Pacioretty was 7 and Weise was 5. That line wasn't doing all that well the entire game until OT. So you're blaming this on DD? Again, I'm not following your logic here...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad