Movies: DC Universe

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Most of the movies in the marvels franchise have either been pure superhero popcorn flicks, or outright terrible movies.

There are a couple though that are exceptional and are very well done movies (Iron Man, GoTG).

Personally I think the best movies that feature marvel superheroes are not been produced by Marvel. The X-men series (minus the 3rd one) are my favourite superhero movies to date from any company.

Regardless of how people feel about Marvels individual movies, it amazes me how quickly people have come to accept the concept of a "cinematic universe" as an everyday thing. What Marvel did was unprecedented, and they executed it so well right out of the gate. It doesn't matter if you think DC has better characters and a better tone...being able to pull off a shared universe like Marvel did is not going to be easy...I don't get why people just assume it is going to work. I hope they pull it off as well as Marvel did, but there is a lot that can go wrong...thats why as good as these trailers look I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

I tried to enjoy it, but I couldn't get past the 4th or 5th episode. I like the titular character; I liked the actor, but the show simply failed to make me care for that adaptation of the character, even if it was only 4-5 episodes in.

But by far the most disappointing part of the show was Kingpin. My goodness. I had heard great things about the this depiction of the character, so naturally, I was expecting a well-written character and a very solid performance by the actor. But yikes, his scenes were painful to watch. I just couldn't get over the terrible acting and lines. The acting seemed to be on par with the acting in CW shows, and that may be an insult to CW. It was that bad, in my opinion.

Anyways, as you said, this thread is about the DCEU, but I just had to share my thoughts on Daredevil, I am thoroughly disappointed by the show; I find it very overrated.

Kingpin's character is slowly developed. It is strange how they introduce him (as awkward, uncomfortable, trying to impress a girl of all things)...but as the series goes on you begin to understand it more. The episode where they give his backstory is so intense.

Back to DC...for those familiar with Suicide Squad...what is the Jokers role with them? Is he apart of it or is he going to be the villain of the movie?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Regardless of how people feel about Marvels individual movies, it amazes me how quickly people have come to accept the concept of a "cinematic universe" as an everyday thing. What Marvel did was unprecedented, and they executed it so well right out of the gate. It doesn't matter if you think DC has better characters and a better tone...being able to pull off a shared universe like Marvel did is not going to be easy...I don't get why people just assume it is going to work. I hope they pull it off as well as Marvel did, but there is a lot that can go wrong...thats why as good as these trailers look I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

Kingpin's character is slowly developed. It is strange how they introduce him (as awkward, uncomfortable, trying to impress a girl of all things)...but as the series goes on you begin to understand it more. The episode where they give his backstory is so intense.

Back to DC...for those familiar with Suicide Squad...what is the Jokers role with them? Is he apart of it or is he going to be the villain of the movie?

I would not be surprised if the suicide squad feature had a similar plot line to the animated movie Batman: Assault on Arkham.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He doesn't really as far as I know. He is uncontrollable so Waller would never consider him to be part of any iteration of the squad. It is the same reason most pure villain groups keep him out of their clubs.

Really his only connection is because of Harley as she has been in the group for a while now in the comics.

My guess is Joker will be part of what breaks the group up and ruins everything for Waller, and Harley most likely turns on the squad as well.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I think the MCU leaves a bit to be desired as far as connected universes go. Show me any of the standalone films and I couldn't tell you where they fit within the shared universe outside of their own series; Iron Man 3 obviously builds on Iron Man 1 and 2, but it's got ****-all to do with Thor, Cap, etc. I mean, I'm a fan - and I'm particularly interested in Avengers -> Age of Ultron -> Civil War -> Infinity War 1 -> Infinity War 2 - but other than that... the MCU is just a bunch of mildly amusing one-off filler episodes. Not quite the inter-connected home run that I'd look for in the best film universe. [Gonna withhold my Daredevil thoughts because DC thread and I've talked enough Marvel here.]

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I think the MCU leaves a bit to be desired as far as connected universes go. Show me any of the standalone films and I couldn't tell you where they fit within the shared universe outside of their own series; Iron Man 3 obviously builds on Iron Man 1 and 2, but it's got ****-all to do with Thor, Cap, etc. I mean, I'm a fan - and I'm particularly interested in Avengers -> Age of Ultron -> Civil War -> Infinity War 1 -> Infinity War 2 - but other than that... the MCU is just a bunch of mildly amusing one-off filler episodes. Not quite the inter-connected home run that I'd look for in the best film universe. [Gonna withhold my Daredevil thoughts because DC thread and I've talked enough Marvel here.]

Well, if you're going to be worried about lack of interconnection, I'd assume the same for DCU if not worse. It's hard to show a lot of interconnections when you have contracts for the actors involved. Besides Civil War, there haven't been a lot of the big 4 showing up in another movie not under their own title.

And it's weird that you say "Not quite the inter-connected home run that I'd look for in the best film universe."... Marvel's MCU is not the best, it is literally the first studio to ever attempt this, and practically ever studio, especially comicbook related, has been following suit trying their own shared universe franchises. Could it be better? Sure. But they're the trailblazers; there is no comparison until now.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Well, if you're going to be worried about lack of interconnection, I'd assume the same for DCU if not worse. It's hard to show a lot of interconnections when you have contracts for the actors involved. Besides Civil War, there haven't been a lot of the big 4 showing up in another movie not under their own title.
Agreed, I'm not expecting any more interconnectedness out of the... DCEU, they callin' it? And yeah, contracts and scheduling and money and hell, even the desired stories themselves, pretty much nullify any chances of showing off just how factually all the characters live in the same world. Oh well.

And it's weird that you say "Not quite the inter-connected home run that I'd look for in the best film universe."... Marvel's MCU is not the best, it is literally the first studio to ever attempt this, and practically ever studio, especially comicbook related, has been following suit trying their own shared universe franchises. Could it be better? Sure. But they're the trailblazers; there is no comparison until now.
I was calling it 'not a home run' just in response to all the 'omg fantastic execution, nicely done, Marvel' that I've seen. I'm basically of the same mind as what you said, it can be done better. Theoretically.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He's completely accurate about Marvel being a giant pile of trash. And DC could follow. Their saving grace is of course their animated movies.

If that were true, then the movies would not have been so well received by critics(all well above the Fresh rating at RT) and made so much money.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I've been trying to think where DC could do a more light hearted movie, ala Guardians of the Galaxy. For a team film, Legion of Superheros would be perfect, but I'm not sure they would go into the future.

Green Lantern Corps could be a place to lighten things up a bit. Don't go stupid goofy, but you can have some fun with the space cops (and show why the Nova are just a crappy copy).

For a single hero, Flash is the obvious choice. Obvious melodrama with the Flash but overall he just be the most light hearted of the group and he has the most colorful rogues gallary.

Fantastic post. The Legion of Superheroes would be a great idea, and would surely present a a great opportunity for a more light-hearted and more kid friendly film(s) than the Justice League, Suicide Squad, and Green Lantern Corps films.

Hal Jordan's and John Stewart's' contrasting personality would make for a great duo on screen. Marvel did a great casting (as they always do) Chris Pratt for Star Lord, as I think he would have been a great Hal Jordan. I'd also like Idris Elba for John Stewart.

I agree that Flash is an obvious choice for a lightheart (single) superhero film, especially since Phil Lord and Chris Miller are writing the film. However, I think that Shazam is the more obvious choice for that type of film, as Billy Batson/Shazam is a kid. And while I certainly wouldn't appreciate The Rock's Black Adam as a goofy villain, The Rock is at his best in light hearted films. I'd like for him to be a serious villain/Anti-hero in a light-hearted film.

As for Flash, I wonder if Lord and Miller would opt for Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang (from Suicide Squad) as one of the villains in the film. It would be a good idea to do so in my opinion, since Suicide Squad is projecting to become a massive hit for WB/DC; its trailer recently passed the second trailer of Batman v Superman in views.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

In my opinion, the writing and acting in this clip is just unforgivable. I was actually shocked by how awful it was. I am particularly referring to the "You embarrassed me; You embarrassed me in front of her." line. I was already disappointed by the show/Kingpin by that point, but that scene virtually killed any interest I had in the show. All to say that I understand what they were trying to do, but they did a terrible job executing it (by that point anyways) through writing and acting.

*SPOILERS*

I hate to deviate from the main discussion, but I did want to add a little more to that particular topic.

Joker isn't part of the Squad; he is the villain. It's not yet confirmed, but every indication from the trailer suggests that the Squad is trying to stop him. The bad guys we see in the trailer--the guys with the baby masks, batman masks, panda outfit, etc.. are Joker's guys.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
If that were true, then the movies would not have been so well received by critics(all well above the Fresh rating at RT) and made so much money.

Dollars means nothing about the success of movies. Otherwise transformers age of extinction should have cleaned up at the academy awards.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Dollars means nothing about the success of movies. Otherwise transformers age of extinction should have cleaned up at the academy awards.

You completely ignored the part that the reviews are almost across the board positive for all the films. No one jokes about the quality of the Marvel films like they do the Transformer flicks.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
You completely ignored the part that the reviews are almost across the board positive for all the films.
Positive reviews for films like Iron Man 2,3? Cap 1? All Thor movies? Age of Ultron?

Those are all pretty horrible.

I'd say Iron Man 1, GoG, Cap 2 and Avengers were pretty good.

If there are positives reviews across the board for ALL films like you mentioned, then I'd question the credibility of these critics

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Positive reviews for films like Iron Man 2,3? Cap 1? All Thor movies? Age of Ultron?

I'd say Iron Man 1, Cap 2 and Avengers were pretty good.

It's your opinion they were "all pretty horrible". I didn't think all of them were great. But a pile of crap? Please. All of them still scored way higher on an aggregate than any of the Transformer films.

I mean, I thought Man of Steel was not a good film, but it is nowhere near the mindless nonsense of Transformers.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

I'd say Iron Man 1, GoG, Cap 2 and Avengers were pretty good.

If there are positives reviews across the board for ALL films like you mentioned, then I'd question the credibility of these critics

You question the credibility of the critic community at large because the consensus does not match your personal tastes?

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I've been trying to think where DC could do a more light hearted movie, ala Guardians of the Galaxy. For a team film, Legion of Superheros would be perfect, but I'm not sure they would go into the future.

Green Lantern Corps could be a place to lighten things up a bit. Don't go stupid goofy, but you can have some fun with the space cops (and show why the Nova are just a crappy copy).

For a single hero, Flash is the obvious choice. Obvious melodrama with the Flash but overall he just be the most light hearted of the group and he has the most colorful rogues gallary.

Booster Gold maybe?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I have never seen the series, but Vincent D'Onofrio is a pretty highly regarded character actor. He's can be hammy (The Salton Sea with Val Kilmer comes to mind) but I was really looking forward to him as Kingpin.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have never seen the series, but Vincent D'Onofrio is a pretty highly regarded character actor. He's can be hammy (The Salton Sea with Val Kilmer comes to mind) but I was really looking forward to him as Kingpin.

He was great, I think people saying he sucked are in the minority. I thought his performance was unbelievable outside the chinese thing.

But supposedly his pronunciation was good aside from the accent. He just had that thousand yard stare and was laboring with every word. Maybe that was the character.

Last edited:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

I don't remember his performances in other roles, and I am aware that many love his performance as Kingpin, but it wouldn't be the first time a good actor fails in a role; nor would it be the first time fans appreciated a terrible performance, imo. The leading actors portraying Green Arrow and Flash are loved by the audience, it doesn't necessarily make them good actors.

Like I said, that clip was just unforgivable acting.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
For comedy, these two really need to be in a movie:

91fb357bddf57f13fb0ce4da2ba308d6.jpg

Signed,

Proud member of:

841745-boog_cv23.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another question is who do you have as the ultimate big bad that ties all this together? Do you go Darkseid and give Marvel the finger saying the original beats the copy (and hell a New Gods movie could be ****ing awesome).

Or do you just go super bat**** crazy and make it the Anti-Monitor and do a full blown crisis and cross over into the TV shows. (so make movie Flash Wally and he can meet TV show Barry).

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Another question is who do you have as the ultimate big bad that ties all this together? Do you go Darkseid and give Marvel the finger saying the original beats the copy (and hell a New Gods movie could be ****ing awesome).

Or do you just go super bat**** crazy and make it the Anti-Monitor and do a full blown crisis and cross over into the TV shows. (so make movie Flash Wally and he can meet TV show Barry).

Darkseid would be easiest to translate on-screen imo, storyline wise. Hopefully he wouldn't look half as bad as Thanos looks though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad