U18: Day 1 of the U18s GDT

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
A deserved loss. Some players don't even seem to be playing. Šalé scored a goal, converted a drive, but is this really a player from the first round of the draft? The casualness of his playing is something that really bothers me. And even otherwise he was practically invisible. Of course, there were even worse players. Indiscipline is a separate chapter, I really don't remember the selections ever playing differently under this coach. Maybe the one who won the silver medal. But I'm not surprised, I expected something similar.
I thought Sale was quite good for 75% of the game. When he’s engaged he’s really creative and can create plays out of very little, the concern is that he sometimes floats. But when he’s going he’s very tough to stop. His goal was a beauty.

And those stick infraction penalties just take him and the other top guys out of the game, and if they are in it’s just them on the PK.

Reactions: Czechboy

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I thought Sale was quite good for 75% of the game. When he’s engaged he’s really creative and can create plays out of very little, the concern is that he sometimes floats. But when he’s going he’s very tough to stop. His goal was a beauty.

And those stick infraction penalties just take him and the other top guys out of the game, and if they are in it’s just them on the PK.
It's possible he had some good moments where I didn't know it was him. On the contrary, when I noticed him, I noticed 2 times that he was very casual when playing, and that always bothers me. And it bothers me even more when it's young players like this who should be aggressive.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It's possible he had some good moments where I didn't know it was him. On the contrary, when I noticed him, I noticed 2 times that he was very casual when playing, and that always bothers me. And it bothers me even more when it's young players like this who should be aggressive.
I agree, like I mentioned he seems to float a bit too much. And it’s not even like he needs to be creating every shift but engage physically, throw a hit, etc. I thought he would take more advantage of the Slovak 3rd line that was matched up against him (not a great coaching decision there). It’s still just the first game though, I wouldn’t be too harsh on him. I’d be much harsher on the player who took the 5 minute major, and killed Czech momentum even though our awful PP couldn’t score

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I agree, like I mentioned he seems to float a bit too much. And it’s not even like he needs to be creating every shift but engage physically, throw a hit, etc. I thought he would take more advantage of the Slovak 3rd line that was matched up against him (not a great coaching decision there). It’s still just the first game though, I wouldn’t be too harsh on him. I’d be much harsher on the player who took the 5 minute major, and killed Czech momentum even though our awful PP couldn’t score
Of course, that's true. As I wrote, there were certainly worse players out there, and Eichler was one of them. Anyway, I will hope that Šalé will be much better in the next matches. Even though it looks like we'll be playing the USA at best, we needed him to decide today.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looking like a quarter final exit, this team. Struggling so much against Switzerland.

Reactions: Jukurit

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
They don't sound similar at all. Completely different sounds. CH is articulated using the tongue, while H can be articulated using the throat only, with no involvement of the tongue needed.

Czech/Slovak CH is the same as Spanish J, German CH or Russian Х. Zdeno Chára's name has been mispronounced in the NHL for decades.

Americans/English are unable to pronounce CH, so they pronounce H instead.

Russians, conversely, are unable to pronounce H, so they pronounce G or CH instead. Pretty funny!

In Slovak and Czech, we pronounce both CH and H effortlessly, and they're completely different sounds.
oh thank you! I need to practice more.
I think the hardest consonants to pronounce are r and ž😢

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I think the hardest consonants to pronounce are r and ž

Why would that be? :huh: R and Ž are pronounced in Czech/Slovak in pretty much the same way as in English, so they should pose no problems for English speakers. (Ž is the same sound you have in common English words like pleasure, measure.)

Now if you meant Ř, that's a different story. It's a uniquely Czech letter and sound that doesn't exist in Slovak, either, so Slovaks have lots of trouble pronouncing it, too. To pronounce Ř correctly, you basically need to try and pronounce R and Ž at the same time :naughty: – and good luck with that! We foreigners may try, but a native Czech person will likely instantly hear that it doesn't come naturally to us, just like Czechs and Slovaks struggle with pronouncing the English TH that doesn't exist in our languages. Luckily, the letter Ř isn't all that frequent in Czech last names – the only hockey player I can remember whose name does contain it (twice, in fact!) is the goaltender Kořenář. (So he should be pronounced something like CAW-rzhay-nahrzh.) :D But then there's the extremely frequent first name Jiří (Czech for George), whose pronunciation should be something like YEE-rzhee. :ha:

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Why would that be? :huh: R and Ž are pronounced in Czech/Slovak in pretty much the same way as in English, so they should pose no problems for English speakers. (Ž is the same sound you have in common English words like pleasure, measure.)

Now if you meant Ř, that's a different story. It's a uniquely Czech letter and sound that doesn't exist in Slovak, either, so Slovaks have lots of trouble pronouncing it, too. To pronounce Ř correctly, you basically need to try and pronounce R and Ž at the same time :naughty: – and good luck with that! We foreigners may try, but a native Czech person will likely instantly hear that it doesn't come naturally to us, just like Czechs and Slovaks struggle with pronouncing the English TH that doesn't exist in our languages. Luckily, the letter Ř isn't all that frequent in Czech last names – the only hockey player I can remember whose name does contain it (twice, in fact!) is the goaltender Kořenář. (So he should be pronounced something like CAW-rzhay-nahrzh.) :D But then there's the extremely frequent first name Jiří (Czech for George), whose pronunciation should be something like YEE-rzhee. :ha:
R is thrilled😢 I'm not a native English speaker, but R in English doesn't seem to be a trill.
oh I think pleasure is a good example! Now I could understand how to pronounce ž. Textbooks confused me😢
I don't understand why ř is called a soft consonant, it doesn't sound soft at all😂

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Dvorsky - with 8 shoots on a goalie and couple of good passes. I think he was the best Slovak player (Even though he made a few bad mistakes during the game) but unfortunately his game ended with G:0 A:0... (Story of his season)

Pekarcik - I dont know if i should praise him for all the high scoring situation he got into or criticize him for his lack of finish.

Slovak Defense - At times very bad i am actually scared of watching the game against the Swedes.

Reactions: Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Anyone know what teams GM’s/Head scouts are at the game? Usually the broadcast shows NHL people in the crowd
Every team has multiple guys at every game in both venues, so I don’t think it says anything about which teams might be interested in which players or anything like that. That said, since you’re asking about head scouts and GMs in particular, I know Yzerman, Allvin and Brackett were in Porrentruy yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad