Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It's funny -- can you imagine the hype on this kid if he were a Toronto or Boston or Montreal prospect? But Dawson Mercer was drafted by the Devils, so people are still trying to rationalize year-old opinions about how he's a bottom 6 forward. Right now he's the best all-around player in the QMJHL, bar none. His intelligence and compete level are simply off the charts, and his talent and puck-skills are just outstanding.
He isn`t only the best all-around player, he is 3rd in ppg and 2nd in gpg. After watching this season i want to watch Mercer in AHL, but his game in QMJHL looks like he has potential to be the best forward of his line. He is the most fun to watch devils prospect this season. We can talk about his technical or physical aspects of his game, about his intuition, but he was way too good everywhere. He is too good for QMJHL.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I like the idea of Hughes with Mercer and Holtz with Hischier, but that's just me.

I was thinking Mercer as the defensive conscience on the Hughes line could work as well. As a bonus, Mercer could help out on the draws; Hopefully Hughes improves but it would be nice to have strongside options on the line.

And even though Mercer doesn't sound like this, I'll feel the need to learn some Newfie lingo:

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was thinking Mercer as the defensive conscience on the Hughes line could work as well. As a bonus, Mercer could help out on the draws; Hopefully Hughes improves but it would be nice to have strongside options on the line.

And even though Mercer doesn't sound like this, I'll feel the need to learn some Newfie lingo:

When describing Mercer as a "defensive presence" on a line, we need to keep in mind that -- I've been saying for quite some time -- this is a ridiculously skilled and smart kid whom I'm confident will score a whole lot of points in the NHL.

At tsn.ca, Craig Button just released his updated top 75 prospect rankings. I'm a huge supporter of Button, whom I feel has iconoclastic opinions which he consistently backs with reasonable explanation. That being said, his top 75 rankings were just... well, the only word I can think of right now is abominable.

Detroit Red Wings' blue chippers, Montreal Canadiens' Cole Caufield headline Top 75 prospects list - TSN.ca

Button had Mercer as the Devils 4th best prospect, at #52 overall. For contrast, I have Mercer as the Devils #1 prospect, in my top 10-15 overall among NHL prospects. Other highlights include gross under-rankings like Byfield at #17 and Victor Soderstrom at #75 alongside gross over-rankings like Philip Broberg at #8, Ivan Chekhovich at #60, and Jakub Pelletier at #51, one spot ahead of Mercer. I mean, I'm a fan of Pelletier, but anyone who as seen him on the same Team Canada as Mercer or the same QMJHL as Mercer and can say Pelletier is any way superior to Mercer while attached to a polygraph test might have a future as an international spy.

For contrast, here's my top 10 prospect rankings, with the Button rankings in parenthesis:
1 C Byfield (LA) (17)
2 C Turcotte (LA) (22)
3 RW Caufield (MTL) (2)
4 LD Sanderson (OTT) (7)
5 RD Seider (DET) (1)
6 RW Jarvis (CAR) (26)
7 LW/RW Raymond (DET) (3)
8 C Rossi (MIN) (31)
9 LW Boldy (MIN) (5)
10 C Lundell (FLA) (6)

I'd say Mercer would be pretty close to this top 10 list, definitely in the running at #11 or #12 with Kaliyev. My next D would probably be Brock Faber -- also LA -- and of course as always, I omitted goaltenders from my list.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
When describing Mercer as a "defensive presence" on a line, we need to keep in mind that -- I've been saying for quite some time -- this is a ridiculously skilled and smart kid whom I'm confident will score a whole lot of points in the NHL.

At tsn.ca, Craig Button just released his updated top 75 prospect rankings. I'm a huge supporter of Button, whom I feel has iconoclastic opinions which he consistently backs with reasonable explanation. That being said, his top 75 rankings were just... well, the only word I can think of right now is abominable.

Detroit Red Wings' blue chippers, Montreal Canadiens' Cole Caufield headline Top 75 prospects list - TSN.ca

Button had Mercer as the Devils 4th best prospect, at #52 overall. For contrast, I have Mercer as the Devils #1 prospect, in my top 10-15 overall among NHL prospects. Other highlights include gross under-rankings like Byfield at #17 and Victor Soderstrom at #75 alongside gross over-rankings like Philip Broberg at #8, Ivan Chekhovich at #60, and Jakub Pelletier at #51, one spot ahead of Mercer. I mean, I'm a fan of Pelletier, but anyone who as seen him on the same Team Canada as Mercer or the same QMJHL as Mercer and can say Pelletier is any way superior to Mercer while attached to a polygraph test might have a future as an international spy.

For contrast, here's my top 10 prospect rankings, with the Button rankings in parenthesis:
1 C Byfield (LA) (17)
2 C Turcotte (LA) (22)
3 RW Caufield (MTL) (2)
4 LD Sanderson (OTT) (7)
5 RD Seider (DET) (1)
6 RW Jarvis (CAR) (26)
7 LW/RW Raymond (DET) (3)
8 C Rossi (MIN) (31)
9 LW Boldy (MIN) (5)
10 C Lundell (FLA) (6)

I'd say Mercer would be pretty close to this top 10 list, definitely in the running at #11 or #12 with Kaliyev. My next D would probably be Brock Faber -- also LA -- and of course as always, I omitted goaltenders from my list.

Hard to see the methodology here - Kaliyev has played an NHL game and is included but both Stutzle and Drysdale (also 19) aren't on the list.

Trying to compare what players have done in various pro leagues around the world vs. those playing college or junior hockey would take a lot more time and research than was available to produce this piece.

Interesting in terms of generating discussions but hardly definitive with respect to tracking and comparing prospects.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hard to see the methodology here - Kaliyev has played an NHL game and is included but both Stutzle and Drysdale (also 19) aren't on the list.

Trying to compare what players have done in various pro leagues around the world vs. those playing college or junior hockey would take a lot more time and research than was available to produce this piece.

Interesting in terms of generating discussions but hardly definitive with respect to tracking and comparing prospects.
As people have mentioned in the prospect thread Button’s parameters were, for better or for worse, (Narrator: It was for worse) any player not currently on a NHL roster could be considered a NHL prospect for the list.

The dumbest ones for me is Sandin, who played 28 NHL games last season and is likely not on the Leafs roster only because he broke his foot, and Brannstrom.

Brannstrom has not only played 47 total career NHL games, he’s only played 4 AHL game this season vs 14 NHL games this season. Plus 1) Ottawa will likely play him more in the NHL after the TDL if/when they move one of their 3 UFA defensemen and 2) Ottawa keeps Brannstrom on the taxi squad when they can mainly to keep their performance bonuses down to stay under the 7.5% Bonus Cushion for salary cap purposes. (Don’t ask, lol, it’s complicated.)

To me, once NHL fans get to see a player in the NHL for a good chunk of games we don’t need Button’s (any scout guy’s) opinion nearly as much. The point of amateur scouting is to project NHL potential of a player without getting to see them play against NHL players. There is some grey area, but not with a older defensemen who’s bouncing a bit back and forth from NHL and AHL but is clearly in the process of finally locking down his spot in the bigs.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

The cutoff was basically if the player is currently in the NHL. Kaliyev played a game and was sent to the AHL. Drysdale and Zegras played yesterday for Anaheim.

I don't think Sandin would have been an NHL regular this year. Mikko Lehtonen was ahead of him on the depth chart and they couldn't find regularly playing time and shipped him to Columbus.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As people have mentioned in the prospect thread Button’s parameters were, for better or for worse, (Narrator: It was for worse) any player not currently on a NHL roster could be considered a NHL prospect for the list.

The dumbest ones for me is Sandin, who played 28 NHL games last season and is likely not on the Leafs roster only because he broke his foot, and Brannstrom.

Brannstrom has not only played 47 total career NHL games, he’s only played 4 AHL game this season vs 14 NHL games this season. Plus 1) Ottawa will likely play him more in the NHL after the TDL if/when they move one of their 3 UFA defensemen and 2) Ottawa keeps Brannstrom on the taxi squad when they can mainly to keep their performance bonuses down to stay under the 7.5% Bonus Cushion for salary cap purposes. (Don’t ask, lol, it’s complicated.)

To me, once NHL fans get to see a player in the NHL for a good chunk of games we don’t need Button’s (any scout guy’s) opinion nearly as much. The point of amateur scouting is to project NHL potential of a player without getting to see them play against NHL players. There is some grey area, but not with a older defensemen who’s bouncing a bit back and forth from NHL and AHL but is clearly in the process of finally locking down his spot in the bigs.

By any parameters, Dawson Mercer should be above #52, haha.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
QMJHL season officially over. I would expect him to sign an ATO and play with Bingo along with Holtz.

Although I'm not sure an ATO is needed if he signed his ETC back in December.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
By any parameters, Dawson Mercer should be above #52, haha.

Should he? Seems like a lot of the players ahead of him are a year (or two) older and have had success either at the AHL or NCAA level.

He appears to be right on track but that doesn't mean there aren't other good players out there.

It's encouraging that there are four Devils prospects in this list.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
he shouldnt need an ATO now that his junior season is officially over since he already signed his contract...but honestly not 100% on that

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I know the Memorial Cup Tournament is no longer happening this season but I was under the impression that the QMJHL would have playoffs anyway. If they were, then Mercer & Chicoutimi would be playing on Friday.

The QMJHL updates its scenarios for the 2021 Playoffs – LHJMQ

as of the 9th the playoffs were still a go.

CHL announces cancellation of 2021 Memorial Cup

This is from the 13th

—————

I took Amanda’s tweet as get excited, Mercer is coming but he does appear to have playoffs instead.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Should he? Seems like a lot of the players ahead of him are a year (or two) older and have had success either at the AHL or NCAA level.

He appears to be right on track but that doesn't mean there aren't other good players out there.

It's encouraging that there are four Devils prospects in this list.
Where did Steve say there weren't any other good players out there? Way to read into something that wasn't said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad