Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
"Heavy boots", is that implying he's a slow skater? Never heard that before.

I took it as his feet don’t move fast. I think of acceleration with that.

The article is about him being deceptively shifty due to his hands and his eyes; that he sets guys up for the shiftiness rather than physically outperforming the defender.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
"Heavy boots", is that implying he's a slow skater? Never heard that before.
I'd have expected it to mean tough to knock off his stride, like we describe guys with low center of gravity, but maybe that's the glass half full take.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
NOW that makes sense.
In fact, I wonder if the OP didn't intend for Heavy Boots to extend the statement that followed...

"Heavy boots, improving off-puck offence."

In other words, being tough to move or knock around helps his offense without the puck.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ah. You're new to this board.

Around these parts, he's known as Stone Hands.
Lmfao why!

I admit he sometimes cant catch a pass to save his life and his shot is ugly, but Ive always like his hands around the boards and net

That is funny though, I think I've heard that at games before. Along with Andy Brown (Greene), which was always funny because it was used as a 'who the f*** is this guy' when he first came up lol

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Lmfao why!

I admit he sometimes cant catch a pass to save his life and his shot is ugly, but Ive always like his hands around the boards and net

That is funny though, I think I've heard that at games before. Along with Andy Brown (Greene), which was always funny because it was used as a 'who the f*** is this guy' when he first came up lol
Don't worry, All HF Devils fans here have opinions on the team which they are willing to make a hill and die on. This just will be yours.:naughty:

Personally Zajac was good in the early 2010's but in the past five years I don't even get excited when Zajac is on a breakaway or on a 2v1. I just know he will shoot into the pads or Chest protector. his Passing, Faceoff, And defensive play are all great though.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Lmfao why!

I think part of it is an excuse to use this graphic:

StoneHands.jpg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to say that the Mercer pick at #18 was just tremendous.

Dawson Mercer is a player without weakness, and also a player with three elite strengths. His hands are just outstanding; he's a stickhandle in phone booth kind of player who can beat top defensemen one on one and lethal to goaltenders in close. His other elite abilities are intangibles -- Mercer features an elite compete level and elite hockey IQ. This kid quite simply does everything right -- from anticipating the play, to two-way acumen, to positioning to puck decisions. The accolades don't stop here -- Mercer is a "dual threat" winger, which is to say he's an outstanding passer and shooter, and always seems to know which of the two is the right option in any offensive situation.

This combination makes Mercer not only a high-upside potential star, but also an extremely versatile player. We're talking about a kid who can excel as a third-line center or a top-line right wing, a kid who can play on the power play or the penalty kill. Dawson Mercer is a coach's dream, a teammate's dream and a fan's dream -- he's the kind of player you win with and he's really going to shine in New Jersey.

Though Mercer lacks anything which can be correctly called a "flaw", he's only slightly above average in terms of skating. This is likely the reason a player so exceptional in every other aspect of the game fell to #18. If he can improve his explosiveness in the next season or two of development, the sky might not even be the limit. He's the rare multi-threat forward who combines a power game, a cerebral game, and a dynamically talented game.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I love this pick but I'm a bit confused. Will Mercer play as a C or a RW?

I think they are introing him as a center, so I figure that they'll probably try that out first, but ultimately I do think he's a winger.

This draft had a lot of center / winger types. Lots of guys who have a shot to play center, but I'm just not bullish on being able to do so. But it's hard to judge sometimes because the defensive responsibilities are such a big part of playing the position, and lets be honest, in some leagues, that's just not a real thing for some draft eligibles.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Seems like a good guy to put on Hughes wing. A smart player who can win the puck and make up for some of his faults defensively. Almost like one of the guys Crosby would love on his wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad