News Article: Davidson on using CAP space wisely & strategically

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I literally just said this yesterday KD...you lurking on here as Fiddy??? :laugh:
I still to this day do not understand why they burned a year off Reichel's ELC specifically for this reason, you want to have as many guys on cheap contracts for as long as possible...Maybe they were looking ahead and want to stagger their RFAs as they were anticipating someone like Bedard entering the fold this year but still, as far as I remember Toews, Kane and Keith were all pending RFAs and locked into new deals midseason, but them being on the cheap contracts allowed them to win in 2010

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I still to this day do not understand why they burned a year off Reichel's ELC specifically for this reason, you want to have as many guys on cheap contracts for as long as possible...Maybe they were looking ahead and want to stagger their RFAs as they were anticipating someone like Bedard entering the fold this year but still, as far as I remember Toews, Kane and Keith were all pending RFAs and locked into new deals midseason, but them being on the cheap contracts allowed them to win in 2010
That is how I understood it when they did that with Reichel.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Reichel is going to likely make less BECAUSE he had a ELC year burned. This season that ends, then he will only have 1 year of full NHL play to argue for his 2nd deal. That lowers his barging power. If he had this upcoming year and the year after, he probably makes more.

Even if be just takes a bridge deal it's likely you can keep it lower because of that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Reichel is going to likely make less BECAUSE he had a ELC year burned. This season that ends, then he will only have 1 year of full NHL play to argue for his 2nd deal. That lowers his barging power. If he had this upcoming year and the year after, he probably makes more.

Even if be just takes a bridge deal it's likely you can keep it lower because of that.
His agent is just going to bridge him and he will get to his long term extension earlier in his career, I don't see how he will make less by being an RFA a year sooner, the duration of his career will be the same and he'll get more contracts during that period, if anything its playing musical chairs with his expected aav over the time he's a hawk...I can see the merit in staggering some of the RFAs though

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016

Absolutely. This is one move that makes a ton of sense in hindsight and even more now that we will have Bedard coming in too.

Reichel is going to be a lot cheaper after this season, assuming he plays most with Bedard as a rookie, than he would be the following year after playing with Bedard for two seasons and gaining even more experience/stats.

Reactions: Pez68

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
His agent is just going to bridge him and he will get to his long term extension earlier in his career, I don't see how he will make less by being an RFA a year sooner, the duration of his career will be the same and he'll get more contracts during that period, if anything its playing musical chairs with his expected aav over the time he's a hawk...I can see the merit in staggering some of the RFAs though
His agent has less bargaining power and contract lengths aren't set in stone. It's not like you only sign a long term deal when it's UFA time.

But paying him in 24-25 something not an ELC price doesn't matter. That team isn't competing yet.

If Reichel bets on himself and takes off and earns a lot, either scenario applies. But going ahead early on his agent has less to push.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
His agent has less bargaining power and contract lengths aren't set in stone. It's not like you only sign a long term deal when it's UFA time.

But paying him in 24-25 something not an ELC price doesn't matter. That team isn't competing yet.

If Reichel bets on himself and takes off and earns a lot, either scenario applies. But going ahead early on his agent has less to push.
you're not factoring in opportunity cost into this equation...more cap to Reichel when the team isn't trying to win means less cap available for cap dumps and UFA flips for future assets

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
you're not factoring in opportunity cost into this equation...more cap to Reichel when the team isn't trying to win means less cap available for cap dumps and UFA flips for future assets

I think the Hawks are making the right decision to stagger in ELCs and the subsequent 2nd contracts. Managing the cap with sustainability is always going to be like trying to stay one step ahead of the hounds - the longer you can delay those hounds catching you the better.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Yes there is, but we are far from the only team looking to get assets for bad contracts.

Philly isn't going to be paying assets to get rid of bad contracts.
Actually there are very few teams with both cap space and the willingness to throw dollars at players while building.
For all Rocky’s faults I have much respect for his willingness to throw dollars away by retaining to improve the return in trades.
KD is talking about spending cap dollars (real dollars) on bad short term contracts to get the sweeteners. Teams like Arizona take the small dollar front loaded deals or LTIR guys but they don’t pay millions in actual dollars.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You need 40gp for it to be considered to be a season for RFA/UFA purposes. So you can burn a year off the ELC, while not having it be considered a year of service for UFA purposes.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
What a great Summer to have cap space and be rebuilding. Cap is not going up and lots of teams with little to no room. There are a LOT of contracts in the 4-6 per range that teams need, want, or at the very least would not mind moving.

Van, Tampa, , Calgary, Wild, Vegas, Kings, Blues, Isles, Oilers, Caps, Stars, Leafs, Flyers, Rangers, Avs, Bruins, Winnipeg or more than half the league are going to struggle to fill out their roster or outright MUST do something to get a compliant roster. Especially if you look at what is the likely price to keep their RFA's in the fold.

Florida, Montreal, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Seattle & Ottawa are teams I would put in the unlikely to be buying a significant cap dump, but they probably could squeeze one in.

That leaves Arizona (which until the stadium gets resolved they are not taking any actual salary playing in front of 4600 fans...so LTIR contracts and maybe a contract like Myers after his bonus is the only cap they likely will be eating), Anaheim, NJ, Wings, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville, Buffalo. Buffalo has a lot to deal with next Summer with it's own players so they are likely out for any deal more than a year. NJ & Anaheim may not be overly interested (or have much room) once they deal with the 4 or 5 RFA's they need to resolve.

Debrincat will knock someone out of the cap buying market. If Ottawa does not trade him and qualifies or extends him, they are for sure out. If they trade him, the acquiring team is likely out. I suspect he ends up being moved to Detroit for not a huge haul and signs an extension there.

There really are about a single handful of teams that can take a 4-6 million dump without having to give cap back and the Hawks have 5 or 6 spots.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As far as I can tell,the biggest rivaklHawks will have in tryingvto extract the #11or #16 picks from cap -squeezed Vancouver and Calgary respectively will be Detroit...

Detroit whike not having as much cao space as tge Hawks,still is over $30 million under tfe cap with 15 pkayers on tgeircroster...leaves room to add 1 or even 2 cap dumos of desoeratexteans seeking cap relief which both Van and Calgary are in dire straights..

Detroit...lije the Hawks has multiple picks in the first 2 rounds ...but lijevtgexHawks they woukd not be offering their 2nd first rounder in a deal for #11 for#16.....at least I do not hinj they would...justxas I do not think Hawjs takexa cao dump and give back #19to move up...that would not be wise.. It woukd be an overpay..

So instead we probably have a battle of which 2nd roubd pick entices Vancouver or CKgary to give up their 1st rounder in order to gain cao relief but still getting some draft value back..

So it becomes who offersxtge best package of a 2nd rounder value plus maybe a later or future later round...d pick.

Both Chicago and Detroit will try to avoid overpaying pn the total package given back...but whichever offers most value to tge cap squeezed teams gets tgevorize pick fron those teams .

Itis unfortunate Hawks do not have a monopoly as the only way out of cap hell ...Arizona akso has cap space and draft capital to gove but given they lost tge arena referendum they surely will be dumping contracts of their own and if they take cap dumos it will only be KTIR types...

So I think tge take cao dump and get anotger 1st strategy iscon for both Hawjsxand Detroit ...Are both teams will ing to overpay a bit in picks back?

Normally a cao dump team will give up a late first as per the TB deals with the Hawks or it may be give 2 nds (one a future) or 2nd abd a 3rd all depending on term remaining and cash owing factors with the cap dump and ask only for a token mid round or late pick back in tge deal..

However with Van and Calgary they would be giving up relatively high picks at#11and #16,not the usual contender cap dumps of just a late 1st as tge sweetener...usually involves more sweeteners...but here with Van and Calgary and higher 1sts to be relinquished,it is they who will demand seconds and another pick back

So how much would Hawks give back in taking a cap dump plus tge #11or #16 from Van or Calgary respectively and woukd Detroit step up to give even a better package in picks back?

So because Hawks could have a rical bidder,it could drive value given back to higher levels.

I woukd have to check Detroit 2nd and later draft positions to see if they can offer a better draft package back to Van or Calgary
One also must factor that since the #11 pick is of greater value than the 16th pick,it will command the better total return value than what would go into taking on the Calgary cap dumped contract if the term and cash amounts remain are close ...
I will try to take a deeper dive into this fascinating set of scenarios in the coming days..

Reactions: nmgrbhfn

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Would anybody here want Kane back if he signed for 3 years @ ~5.75 million per season?
On the one hand Kane will always be one of my favorite players so it sucks he's gone. On the other hand I'm kind of over watching everyone on the team try to force the puck to Kane no matter what the situation is. The Hawks aren't bringing him back anyway so its whatever.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Would anybody here want Kane back if he signed for 3 years @ ~5.75 million per season?
Would I do it because I love his legacy and the money doesn't totally matter for three years? Yup/

Should we do it at all? Probably not.

PK88 will forever have our love and respect for what he brought to this club but it is a new era that is going to be ushered in very quickly due to CB98.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
The only guy who matters has already answered no.
Yep. KD firmly wants this to be CB98's team moving forward and bringing Kane back disrupts that a little bit. Could I see KD trading for Kane--in the future-- for one more playoff run for Kane before he calls it a career? Yes. But right now, KD is focusing on Bedard and how best to build around him and unfortunately for Hawks fans, that does not include Kane.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I’m kind of at a loss as to why you wouldn’t wanna resign Patrick Kane.

I would like Kane to resign with the Hawks because (1) he can still play and I would like to see him have the opportunity to set all-time Hawks records, and (2) because as a former 1OA I think he could be a mentor to Bedard.

However, I understand the reasoning KD has given for wanting to turn the page and I respect and support his rebuilding effort which is team centered more so than deferring to any one individual.

Reactions: Muffinalt

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Kane had surgery to fix his hip, I'd love to have him back.

But it's not up to me, it's up to him and Davidson.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I want Kane but not on Bedard's line. Also do not want him on PP1 with Bedard. Bedard can learn alot from Kane off the ice as far as his workout regime, film study, etc. but I do not want him to learn Kane's bad habits on the ice or basically deferring to Kane (which was Panarin's problem. Probably the best thing that could've happened to Bread man is getting away from Kane and having his own line).

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I don’t want Kane back. It makes zero sense and does not align with what KD has said in every interview post lottery. I know people are bored but maybe look forward and not backward and quit pining for the shell of Kane.

Reactions: ray c

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad