News Article: Davidson on using CAP space wisely & strategically

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Good article:

The Blackhawks project to have more than $40 million in cap space this summer, but Davidson doesn’t want to tie (much of) it up on long-term deals. He’s more interested in how that cap space can help his team over a longer time frame, and his ideal vision is to use most of it internally on players whom Chicago has added through the draft.

“The draft picks, the cap space, it’s all by design – and for good reason in this rebuild,” Davidson said on the Mully & Haugh Show on Friday morning. “The one thing about the cap space – and I’ve been asked about it a lot with respect to now what do you this summer? – you know what, I think what we’ve seen and how we’ve how sort of studied the landscape in the NHL is that you can really stunt your ceiling and your upside as a team by spending too early. And hopefully we’ve got enough good players coming in, young good players coming in with the new core that you know what? They’re going to require most of that salary cap space. And the last thing we want to do is acquire all these young players, all this exciting young talent, all this great draft capital and we use it, they get here and then we jump too early in free agency in our life cycle and now we can’t pay some of those great, exciting young players. That’s the last thing that we want.”

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
70mil is a lot. He'll have to spend ~30mil on players. I'm not sure who they could even sign to get to 30mil. I say they just get to the cap floor, which will be around 62mil.
short term cap dumps will help bridge the gap - matt murray, tyler myers, etc

Reactions: Sinbad

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
just go excessive on the aav's with one year deals that are sign and trades
If you go excessive then you can’t trade them because teams can’t fit them.
It took jumping through hoops and taking a bad contract back to move Domi to Dallas and he was making 3 mill.
We only have 2 retention spots to use and league wide there is less cap space available.

Reactions: Pertti and Sinbad

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If you go excessive then you can’t trade them because teams can’t fit them.
It took jumping through hoops and taking a bad contract back to move Domi to Dallas and he was making 3 mill.
We only have 2 retention spots to use and league wide there is less cap space available.
we've seen teams act as brokers for picks before, there is always another team that can get involved on double retainment, it will probably be a mix of cap dumps and maybe some 1-2 year deals at mid aavs to get there but they'll do it

Reactions: Sinbad

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He spent the last 2 deadlines sitting on retention slots. Lots of space on the books each of the last two seasons (had he not played the losing game of chicken on MAF in 22') could have been used.

He's using space like literally any gm in the league would given permission and now timeline from ownership. "by design".

Kyle, show me something interesting getting to the floor, without undervaluing the real dollars and I'll start giving some credit as a manager.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Bowman was probably acting on orders from above to win now. The flip flopping matches that of crazy ownership or dysfunctional business-hockey ops relationships that we've see with so many new owners the last few decades.

Instead of pointing to Davidson for the direction and big picture stuff, shouldn't we be more focused on Rocky/Danny?

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Bowman was probably acting on orders from above to win now. The flip flopping matches that of crazy ownership or dysfunctional business-hockey ops relationships that we've see with so many new owners the last few decades.

Instead of pointing to Davidson for the direction and big picture stuff, shouldn't we be more focused on Rocky/Danny?
John Mc was probably the instigator I am thinking.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
John McD was a huge problem, obviously.

Davidson is saying all the right things, but lots of GMs have been able to do that, and get to where he is right now. He has to bring it across the finish line before he gets credit.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
70mil is a lot. He'll have to spend ~30mil on players. I'm not sure who they could even sign to get to 30mil. I say they just get to the cap floor, which will be around 62mil.
There are a lot of bad contracts out there that teams will be anxious to move and a good number of them have 1 - 3 years term left, which works perfectly as far as coming off the books in time for the Hawks to re-allocate it to the young players they draft.

I could see one, maybe 2 of those type deals happening if we are lucky. Then they still have to sign 20 more million. I don't see it happening.
You could Myers’s off of Vancouvers hands and Hayes from the Flyers and that will eat up $13.2m right there.

Reactions: Pez68

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

The rumor was that Norm was pushing for a full teardown but Al McIssac told Stan that if they went that direction they would be fired by the time it was finished so that's why they continued to try to piece it together on the fly, so either it was because of McDonough or Stan and Al just did what they thought was best for their jobs, Stan and co were making win now moves well after McDonough was fired and its clear that Danny Wirtz is not the type to force that decision because Davidson would not have been allowed to tear it down like he has the past year plus

Reactions: ClydeLee

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Thinking lots of cap dumps not so much signing
I agree, I think this will definitely be the approach used by Davidson, he will be waiting with open arms to assist others teams get out from under their bad contracts… for a fee of course!

Over the next couple of years I think Davidson will bundle these stockpiled 2nd and 3rd rounders to move up for targeted players in the latter half of the 1st round.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
KD woukl prefer shorter term contract takev ns=1 or 2 yrs remaining...but coukd go to 3 if price is right in return..

PHi has no second rounders...they already havec2 3rd rounders...So woukdcthey part with their 1st roubd pick of we took K.Hayess off their books at tge full cap hot of over $7.1 million for 3 more seasons and give them one of ourc2ndcroubd picks as part of tgecdeal?

Currently they have over $7.1 million cap space tobusectobsign 8 more players to fill their roster...If we do a deal for Hayes then they will have $14.2mil + to add 9 players to fill their roster which is still not so much to add quality..

So I do not think they woukd part with theirv#1if it still doesn't really allow them to add better quality talent at higher cap cost required.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

what about pitt gives us 14 and jeff carter who we agree to buy out and we give them 3 #2.

Why would Carter agree to that?

He asked for a NMC when signing extension with Pens and is coming off worst year of his career

38 yr old Jeff Carter as UFA this offseason is not getting $3M salary that he is getting the final year of his deal with Pens. Infact he may not get a deal at all at his age (He turns 39 before end of year)

Also you want to give them, 3 2nd round picks this year to move up to #14? No thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad