Confirmed with Link: David Savard sign 4 years at 3.5M

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So if he said that about Edmundson, how excited should you be about Savard?

I’m not swayed by anything he says since they are flawed stats. You shouldn’t base your opinion of a player just by looking at an excel spreadsheet.

I do know that Edmundson was really solid for us and not even close to the worst LD on the team or in the league.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Habfan on this board needs to realize that this organisation's MO right now will never be to have many PMD. That's not what they are about. I think Arpon had a story on this last season. The Ducharme system calls for puck support from the centre + one winger and so, they like to have defencemen that bruise and let the forwards take care of the zone exits.

I'm not a fan personally (aside from the playoffs). But this is how they want to play it. Might as well accept it.

Reactions: 417 and dcyhabs

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Actually much better than I was expecting, I was worried he would get $4+

Savard is on the slow decline and is not a player that really moves the needle but he's extremely solid even if he offers nothing going forward.

As a partner for Romanov who can move up to the middle pairing, great move. Anything more may be a problem.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
seems too long, as he turns 31 when the season starts. The problem is where is the offense going to come from on the blueline, this guy has 1 goal in his last 122 NHL games (not counting playoffs). He was really good in the Q from what I remember, but haven't paid much attention to him since. I didn't think he was anything special in the cup finals unlike McDonagh who was a beast.

At least he's a RD since we are so thin there if Weber's career is over.
Alas the eternal question in Montreal under Bergevin...who will provide goals.

Not sure he would have wanted to come but had Bergevin made this signing and got Yandle for a year at the same $900K he got from Phily was it? You have 2 dman that could combined replace Weber lol One for scoring and one for defensive play.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Edmundson - Petry
Chiarot - Savard
Romanov - RD
Kulak

Wonder if they can get Jason Demers for cheap to mentor Romanov.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Love it, exactly what I wanted him at. Thought he'd be a little closer to 4x4 but this is great. Now we just need to get a puck mover as well and the Dcore is looking good.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
I think Savard could be a good partner for Romanov. Stay-at-home guy and good defensively could allow Romanov to take more chances offensively, which would be good for his growth

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Doesn't bring any offense. We really like our "stay-at-home" defencemen in Montreal.

Let's be honest, if the guy was Russian, he's not signed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin's logic on this signing...

"Hey, I got him for the same AAV as Chairot and Edmundson". Better hope he can be like them and not like Alzner or Merrill. Especially if you think he is a solution to play with Chiarot

I consider Savard a solution for the bottom pairing with Romanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad