Speculation: David Savard, Cedric Paquette & Chris Wideman: UFAs Linked to Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Problem is you don’t know what to expect from either of them. CC is a rookie and after seeing him in the playoffs, teams will target him. Suzuki should be able to replicate but he struggled through multiple stretches last year. Which Toffoli will we see - the one who scored close to 30 goals or the one who disappeared in the playoffs? Anderson? He’s like Armia - one game he’s a superstar and then disappears for stretches.

And heaven forbid Suzuki gets hurt or slumps.

Yeah that's a lot of expectation on Suzuki. I'd be shocked if Caulfield doesn't need to adjust and while Anderson has game breaking skills I don't think he has the hockey IQ to be more than we have seen so far.

If Drouin is back that helps but at this point he too is what he is.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Problem is you don’t know what to expect from either of them. CC is a rookie and after seeing him in the playoffs, teams will target him. Suzuki should be able to replicate but he struggled through multiple stretches last year. Which Toffoli will we see - the one who scored close to 30 goals or the one who disappeared in the playoffs? Anderson? He’s like Armia - one game he’s a superstar and then disappears for stretches.

And heaven forbid Suzuki gets hurt or slumps.

First, I will not prognosticate so as not to jinx it, but look at CC's pedigree. He's a pure goal scorer and dominated at every level. He was dangerous as Hell in tthe friggin stanley cup playoffs as a rookie fresh from his sophomore year in college. Regular season will be "easier". I cringe as I write that, because I don't want to jinx it, but he's just pure goal scoring personified. Plus, he's just a fantastic person. Moreover, he can play on any line as long as the can get the puck in the Ozone and he gets ice time, there will be goals.

Anderson, yes, hot and cold, but on average over a season, he will get goals. Consistently, night in night out? Probably not, but on average, yes. He's a one trick pony, but that trick is hard to stop until he gets old and slows down.

Toffoli was injured in the playoffs. Pretty well documented at this point. A groin may be one of the toughest things to play through as a hockey player. As long as he fully heals, he'll be the 30 goal Toffoli.

Suzuki? He will likely slump at times, but he took a massive step forward in the POs this year. He is a legit 2 way 1 C. He will generate offense.

Even without Anderson, that is the best scoring crop in years and heck, two of them are under 22 years old..!!!! The sky is not falling on offense.

Defense?.... that may be another story. We shall see.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
At this point I'd be happy with Hamilton for 7 x 9

Savard for our 3rd pairing 3 x 3.5 tops

Chiarot - Hamilton
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Kulak

Screw Wideman.

Sign Perry for 1 x 1.5
Sign some forward... Hoffman maybe.

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - KK - Toffoli
Drouin - Evans - Gallagher
Armia - Poeling - Perry
Lehky
Byron

If you can, ship out Byron to any team for a 3rd rounder. Every one else has found a taker for their bad contracts ffs.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Would be cool to have Paquette just to have someone from Gaspésie. Who was the last Habs player from the region? Mathieu Garon?
yah, but its so irrelevant where players are from, either build a team from the best players available or build a team based on where their from, I know which team will win and which won't. Do you?

Reactions: MasterD

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Chiarot - Hamilton
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Kulak

Screw Wideman.

Sign Perry for 1 x 1.5

Hoffman - KK - Toffoli
Armia - Poeling - Perry
Lehky
Byron

If you can, ship out Byron to any team for a 3rd rounder. Every one else has found a taker for their bad contracts ffs.

I think Byron can be moved.

But Arizona is running out of cap space, and it may cost more than a 3rd.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We still only have 7D and 12 forwards.

I'm sure MB does with 8D, and 13 forwards. Maybe Perry is the last forward signed.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
yah, but its so irrelevant where players are from, either build a team from the best players available or build a team based on where their from, I know which team will win and which won't. Do you?
I'm pretty sure his point was just that it would be cool, not that he only wants players from Quebec.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I know it’s early but just to stir the pot - While other teams are improving, we’re increasing French players lol.

Savard will help, depending on cap and term, but Paquette is about a token of an addition as you can possibly get…. Matthieu Darche is smiling somewhere.

Reactions: EXPOS123

goldRIVER

Sep 21, 2017

Chiarot - Hamilton
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Kulak

Screw Wideman.

Sign Perry for 1 x 1.5

Hoffman - KK - Toffoli
Armia - Poeling - Perry
Lehky
Byron

Savard was making 4.250AAV, he's not taking a cut especially signing in Montreal. I have a feeling it will be closer to 5.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I keep reading the same Wideman, Paquette and Savard to Montreal. I don't mind Paquette as depth. I'm really hoping Savard is on anything under 4.5m.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I love how Bergevin always learns the lesson individaully about these plugs. First big move he made was moving fan favourite Gorges, he left Emelin exposed, realized Bouillion/Murray sucked, Alzner buyout, etc.

But then a shiny new marginal #4-5 defenceman shows up on the market and he's ready to lose his mind again. 5 years for Alzner starting at age 30 didn't work out, but 4 years for Savard starting age 31 definitely will!!!!!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard was making 4.250AAV, he's not taking a cut especially signing in Montreal. I have a feeling it will be closer to 5.

You almost gave me a heart attack bud! :laugh: $5M AAV?

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I love how Bergevin always learns the lesson individaully about these plugs. First big move he made was moving fan favourite Gorges, he left Emelin exposed, realized Bouillion/Murray sucked, Alzner buyout, etc.

But then a shiny new marginal #4-5 defenceman shows up on the market and he's ready to lose his mind again. 5 years for Alzner starting at age 30 didn't work out, but 4 years for Savard starting age 31 definitely will!!!!!

Exactly what I am thinking! Savard is a bottom pairing fix for playing with Romanov. It can not be any more term than 2 or 3 years at anything more than $2.5M. His puck moving and skating is just as bad as Alzner IMO.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Savard is overrated as f***. Another slow ass D who can't contribute offensively. Just what we needed.

But hey, he's a p'tit gars de chez nous at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad