David Rundblad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 12, 2003
Rundblad has played 11 games this year, and has not seized the opportunity. Murphy came in and played great for about 15 games, stumbled and was sent back down. When the opportunity presents itself Rundblad has to do what Murphy did, he has to show the coaches he belongs.

I'm not saying that Rundblad has shown that he belongs, but comparing his game to Murphy not exactly comparing apples to apples. Rundblad is a guy that comes in if Yandle or Schlmeko go down in my opinion because he's all out offense. Murphy has been a good guy to fill in for Z and DeMo when they were injured.

In either case, it's poor asset management by the team. How do you let a developing player like that, that you received for a key player (Turris), in this situation? I'm telling you, in the end this is not going to work out well and that is my point.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not saying that Rundblad has shown that he belongs, but comparing his game to Murphy not exactly comparing apples to apples. Rundblad is a guy that comes in if Yandle or Schlmeko go down in my opinion because he's all out offense. Murphy has been a good guy to fill in for Z and DeMo when they were injured.
Eh I don't know about that, Schlemko is closer to Z in style of play than he is Yandle.

In either case, it's poor asset management by the team. How do you let a developing player like that, that you received for a key player (Turris), in this situation? I'm telling you, in the end this is not going to work out well and that is my point.
What would you do though, just play Rundblad and let the chips fall where they may? I do think Tippet should give the kid a little more rope but it's not a cut and dry situation. Ideally when he does get chances Rundblad would make more of an impression but thus far he just hasn't done that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What would you do though, just play Rundblad and let the chips fall where they may? I do think Tippet should give the kid a little more rope but it's not a cut and dry situation. Ideally when he does get chances Rundblad would make more of an impression but thus far he just hasn't done that.

Look at the chance Murphy got. He got 20+ games, most of which he was playing key minutes. He did great for the most part. But Rundblad has never had a string of 10 games where he has been given consistent minutes. It doesn't matter who the player is. If you aren't going to put them in a situation where they can be evaluated, you'll never quite measure their worth.

It's disappointing to see this 'sink or swim' evaluation not take place due to two expendable guys that are marginally better on paper. Even Doan hinted that this maybe wasn't a fair situation for a player that has ability and a good attitude.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I don't see why Rundblad hasn't been given more chances. It's not like our other D have been playing good. See Yandle cough it up all the time but nothing comes of it.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I don't see why Rundblad hasn't been given more chances. It's not like our other D have been playing good. See Yandle cough it up all the time but nothing comes of it.

Even Murphy coughed it up right in the slot at point blank range for two games in a row in the last minute of the game each time and yet he was allowed to go on. One was saved by Smith and the other by Greiss and it's almost like no one noticed but if Runblad makes the slightest mistake, it seems to be magnified. I don't really get that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Even Murphy coughed it up right in the slot at point blank range for two games in a row in the last minute of the game each time and yet he was allowed to go on. One was saved by Smith and the other by Greiss and it's almost like no one noticed but if Runblad makes the slightest mistake, it seems to be magnified. I don't really get that.

Then again, Murphy was the one standing right behind Greiss, nearly inside the goal line, on Anaheims third or fourth goal the other night. Now he's in the minors. Haha.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Look at the chance Murphy got. He got 20+ games, most of which he was playing key minutes. He did great for the most part. But Rundblad has never had a string of 10 games where he has been given consistent minutes. It doesn't matter who the player is. If you aren't going to put them in a situation where they can be evaluated, you'll never quite measure their worth.

It's disappointing to see this 'sink or swim' evaluation not take place due to two expendable guys that are marginally better on paper. Even Doan hinted that this maybe wasn't a fair situation for a player that has ability and a good attitude.

Murphy played 21 games because he proved to the coaching staff he can play at this level. Rundblad has to show the coaching staff that he can play at this level, and that means the first game. He has to seize the opportunity and he hasn't.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It was noticed. Where is Murphy now?

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
It was noticed. Where is Murphy now?

But then again, Muprhy was awful for the last three games he played. Not only his last game. Mistakes are being judged differently. When was Runblad bad for 3 straight games? Never, he only gets one chance and no chance to redeem himself. And the fact is that Rundblad has played good on his last occasions. Give Runblad the minutes Murphy and he will perform, that I believe.

Last edited:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Just over 2 years after the trade, Rundblad has played 25 games for the Yotes and 24 games for the Sens.

I just don't think there's anything he can do on the ice that's going to change Tippett's mind about trusting him over Z, Morris, Stone, or Murphy this season. Unless there's a trade, he'll pick up a few spot games and a regular paycheck and hope for an opportunity next season.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd

I wasn't surprised he got shipped down after his last game, but I'd be surprised if he's not back up this year. Team certainly needs some adjustments soon as we're running out of time whether we know it or not to secure a playoff spot. I'd like to see us put the puck on net a bit more often instead of just dumping it in but heck that's only more noticeable when we get 0-3 goals and give up 4 or more...

Heck, I'd like to see Rundblad on ice a bit more often just to get a better idea of what he's capable of right now.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
But then again, Muprhy was awful for the last three games he played. Not only his last game. Mistakes are being judged differently. When was Runblad bad for 3 straight games? Never, he only gets one chance and no chance to redeem himself. And the fact is that Rundblad has played good on his last occasions. Give Runblad the minutes Murphy and he will perform, that I believe.

Oel was up for a while and back down his first year, that is normal. Tip does not base playing time on contracts. If you play well, you are in, if you don't it's AHL or healthy scrtch(runblad), merit system, it works...

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Oel was up for a while and back down his first year, that is normal. Tip does not base playing time on contracts. If you play well, you are in, if you don't it's AHL or healthy scrtch(runblad), merit system, it works...

That's certainly subjective. Some play with a longer leash than others.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm all for giving Rundblad a solid 10 game look but I have a feeling those of you who seem to think he's ready to break out are going to be severely disappointed. I really really want the kid to succeed but he just does not look ready at all to me. I still wish Tip would give him a chance but if he does I don't expect much to come of it.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
^ Yeah, that's kinda where I am. I haven't seen anything interesting from Rundblad in his sheltered minutes. Not he's awful or anything, just your typical tentative prospect, not ready for the show. If at least he showed a bit of creativity in the offensive zone it might be worth the risk of playing him more, but honestly, I haven't seen it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Doesn't seem to jive with reality. There would have to be at least a half dozen of players that should be sitting right now, given the their performance in the last 5-10 games.

Honestly, this "merit system" often bantered about here, is more of a cover for coach having certain type of favored playing styles. It's fine that coaches have certain types of players that are favored in the system; most coaches do. But there is no need to use some other clearly factually untrue rationale to justify that.

Hear is some true rationale: 1 assist in 11 games. If he had more points, you might have a better argument. His D is not there yet and if Tip let him play through it, our GAA goes up...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm all for giving Rundblad a solid 10 game look but I have a feeling those of you who seem to think he's ready to break out are going to be severely disappointed. I really really want the kid to succeed but he just does not look ready at all to me. I still wish Tip would give him a chance but if he does I don't expect much to come of it.

I agree with you on Rundblad, but he may get his chance now with the way the team is playing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree with you on Rundblad, but he may get his chance now with the way the team is playing.

I think he has less of a chance now. if we were loosing 1-0 or 2-1 and needed a spark, i could see him playing. we need better D and Runblad is not the answer for that. I like Runblad as a player, just not the right time/place yet but I hope I am wrong. I hope he gets a chance and plays well like Murphy did...

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Hear is some true rationale: 1 assist in 11 games. If he had more points, you might have a better argument. His D is not there yet and if Tip let him play through it, our GAA goes up...

There are plenty of players on this team that don't produce offensively; pretty much the biggest single issue on the team (too high of a ratio of non-productive players that prevent sustained puck possession and consistent offence). I'm not sure what your point is; that you expect Rundblad to become Yandle-lite within the first 8th of the season with limited ES time and a few scattered PPs? I don't think that's realistic even given the ideal circumstances.

Your original argument doesn't seem to have any evidence that pass the muster in of it self. So what is the evidence of this actual "merit". How would you explain that Moss is playing major minutes, and is the #1 winger in terms of ice time alongside of Rib? Or how could it be explained that guys like Schlemko that show little results year after year still get major playing time. Like I said, Tip likes and appreciate their style, it has nothing to do with merit. And he sure doesn't need fans on this board making up excuses for him.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Your original argument doesn't seem to have any evidence that pass the muster in of it self. So what is the evidence of this actual "merit". How would you explain that Moss is playing major minutes, and is the #1 winger in terms of ice time alongside of Rib? Or how could it be explained that guys like Schlemko that show little results year after year still get major playing time. Like I said, Tip likes and appreciate their style, it has nothing to do with merit. And he sure doesn't need fans on this board making up excuses for him.

You talk about "evidence" and "metrics" like hockey is engineering.

My OPINION is that Rundblad is largely an offensive defenseman. We have that in spades on the team. You cant compare him to guys like Moss. Moss offers some grinding on the forward lines and chips in a few goals.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
You talk about "evidence" and "metrics" like hockey is engineering.

My OPINION is that Rundblad is largely an offensive defenseman. We have that in spades on the team. You cant compare him to guys like Moss. Moss offers some grinding on the forward lines and chips in a few goals.

I'll trust metrics and evidence and actual analysis over an unsubstantiated opinion from a pseudonymous stranger every day of the week.

That said, Tippett uses a lot of advanced metrics in his analysis of players. It's all proprietary stuff, but according to those data, Schlemko is probably doing just fine.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'll trust metrics and evidence and actual analysis over an unsubstantiated opinion from a pseudonymous stranger every day of the week.

That said, Tippett uses a lot of advanced metrics in his analysis of players. It's all proprietary stuff, but according to those data, Schlemko is probably doing just fine.

So if he does indeed rely on it that much it's pretty well an non arguement. Rundsblad doesnt meet the eye test (opinion) and the engineering done by coach's.

It's just funny on an opinion board such as this that fans look purely at "evidence" (stats) as a barometer of the player. A lot more goes into an evaluation of a hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad