Confirmed with Link: David Rundblad and Mathieu Brisebois to the Hawks for a 2nd (2014)

ReillyO

Feb 18, 2014
I don't see Clendening making the roster next year. With at least 2 of Oduya, Leddy and Rundblad around, they're pretty well stocked with puckmovers. Dahlbeck's defense is better and he's taken a step forward this season at the Rock, I think he might make the roster.

SLarmer28*

I don't see Clendening making the roster next year. With at least 2 of Oduya, Leddy and Rundblad around, they're pretty well stocked with puckmovers. Dahlbeck's defense is better and he's taken a step forward this season at the Rock, I think he might make the roster.
Oduya, Leddy, Rundblad will be on the roster next season, unless Rundbald is total flop. Rozsival will be the first defenseman shipped out of town, since it's hard to justify paying a bottom pair defenseman $2.2 million per season to essentially play half a season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Oduya, Leddy, Rundblad will be on the roster next season, unless Rundbald is total flop. Rozsival will be the first defenseman shipped out of town, since it's hard to justify paying a bottom pair defenseman $2.2 million per season to essentially play half a season.

So what team will trade for a 36 yr old bottom pairing dman with 2.2M contract?

And Rozy has some type of a NTC just like Oduya

And if you trade a guy like Rozy you need to bring in a vet to play on bottom pairing with Leddy ,, Not a bust like Rundblad or rookie like Dahlbeck

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You don't need a vet to play with Leddy next year. Leddy is a vet. Next year will be his 6th in the NHL. Yeah he's still young, but I don't think he needs to have an experienced D partner at this point.

SLarmer28*

Any NHL franchise with playoff aspirations that does not overpay a third line left winger $4 million AAV.

And Rozy has some type of a NTC just like Oduya.
Rozsival has a modified NTC for the 2014-15 NHL Season.

And if you trade a guy like Rozy you need to bring in a vet to play on bottom pairing with Leddy ,, Not a bust like Rundblad or rookie like Dahlbeck
I did not realize that a NHL defenseman with 240 NHL regular season games under his belt needs a babysitter.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Leddy needs a solid dman or else he wont be able to take chances offensively

It is not a hard concept to grasp that some of his risks with puck are because he trusts Rozy to be there when he gets back

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

And Rozy has some type of a NTC just like Oduya

We won a cup with a two million dollar #6 defenseman with a much lower cap. Moving Rozi won't be an issue.

Leddy works best with a stay at home guy, sure. A rookie like Dahlbeck is more than capable of playing that role as your #6.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Rundblad vs Pirri:
-Both taken in 2009 NHL draft
-Both 50 or less NHL games played
-Both traded for a 2014 NHL draft pick in the 50s-60s
-Both had outstanding 2012-13 AHL seasons
-Both had trouble cracking very deep lineups on their NHL team in 2013-14
-Both of their previous NHL coaches didn't seem to like their game

Brandon Pirri: Future 60 point player if not for Q; important enough piece to shuffle entire top 9; big piece in Ryan Kesler proposals; proof that Q is a horrible coach and human being

David Rundblad: Bust

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There's like three people dumping on Rundblad. It's not at all the same. There are also viable NHL options playing Rundblad's role with a couple prospects that can also fill in.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
There's like three people dumping on Rundblad. It's not at all the same. There are also viable NHL options playing Rundblad's role with a couple prospects that can also fill in.

This is great! Building the farm is just as much about quantity as quality. Prospects are a relative crapshoot. You create an environment of competition so guys force their way on the roster by beating out other prospects and making viable NHL options expendable as trade chips.

Hawks had a lot of forwards vying for spots this year. Who got them?
-Ben Smith (5th round)
-Brandon Bollig (Undrafted FA)

-Brandon Pirri (2nd round, traded)
-Jimmy Hayes (2nd round, traded)
-Jeremy Morin (2nd round, minors)
-Joakim Nordstrom (3rd round, minors)

Prospects are a relative crapshoot. You create an environment of competition so guys force their way on the roster. NFL does this better than any league. Does Brandon Bollig bust tail as hard as he did last off season if he knows he has a spot? Does Ben Smith bring it a little harder in practice knowing guys at Rockford are pushing?

Hockey is all about competition, as fans we get to watch the games. As a GM and coach it is your responsibility to create competition at practice, training camp, etc. The Florida Panthers hand spots to prospects; this is the Chicago Blackhawks.

Clendening, Dahls, Johns, Rundblad - There might be one defense spot on the best team in the league available next year. I wouldn't be playing XBox this summer...

Last edited:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
No argument. Just saying that comparing those upset with Pirri getting limited chances with a guy like Rundblad is apples and garden hoses.

I understand where you're coming from. That comment was more directed at the Rundblad "bust" comment and not at Pirri. Like many on here I think he got the short end of the stick.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Leddy needs a solid dman or else he wont be able to take chances offensively

It is not a hard concept to grasp that some of his risks with puck are because he trusts Rozy to be there when he gets back

So a solid Dman needs to be a veteran Dman? Nope.

And I don't see Leddy as a terribly risky Dman. Yeah he'll lug the puck up.. sometimes. Yeah he'll jump into the rush.. sometimes. He doesn't overdo it though. He doesn't need a guy that's only ever going to sit back - hell, Rozsival gets involved in the offensive zone and in the rush almost as much as Leddy does anyways (and in the offensive zone, even more so).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Leddy looked good playing with Kostka this year, who is not an NHL veteran. Leddy doesn't need a vet, and Rundblad is similar to Kostka with much more offensive talent to tap, and much younger.

SLarmer28*

This is great! Building the farm is just as much about quantity as quality. Prospects are a relative crapshoot. You create an environment of competition so guys force their way on the roster by beating out other prospects and making viable NHL options expendable as trade chips.

Hawks had a lot of forwards vying for spots this year. Who got them?
-Ben Smith (5th round)
Not exactly:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99635

Drafted by Chicago Blackhawks
- round 6 #169 overall 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad