Confirmed with Link: David Rittich signing in Winnipeg. 1 year $900,000

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Weren’t the last two backup goalies we had here guaranteed to suck. And then they didn’t? I’m not making any claims one way or the other on Rittich, but the org seems to think there’s value there and they’ve been good at identifying that in tendies of late.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
When I first heard of this signing I was moderately pleased. I didn’t realize Rittich had fallen off so much since his time in Calgary when I thought he was decent.

I’m willing to give him a chance. As with @Boreal I remember well the predictions of doom and how awful Brossoit and Comrie were going to be and it wasn’t that bad. So we’ll just have to wait and see.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I just looked it up and he played in the 2020 allstar game.

I know people love to hate, but Rittich has a career .905 SV% with 150+ games.

Honestly that’s passable for a backup. I’d say the concern will be if we get the Nashville version or not. If it’s anything but that version I’ll be ok with it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Welcome to our board with your screenshot of Rittichs gaa in one partial game.

See ya!
Posters who will go out of their way to argue about the importance of sample size more often then not have no problem posting a stat with a gross sampling size error if it fits their narrative. Everyone should always be very careful of extreme posts one way or the other.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Last season, I would say that 95%+ of the people thought Comrie was a mistake to be our backup ( I was one ) and yet we were surprised by what we saw. So I'm willing to see what we get out of Rittich, who knows, maybe we will be surprised again.

And the thing about backup goalies is they are like underwear. If things get messy you put on a new pair. You can always find another backup.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Welcome to Winnipeg David...

banner_1.jpg

:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Just saw the Rittich interview. I think his expectations are somehow way out of whack. Sounds like he expects to be busy and wants to play every other night. More likely he plays twice a month. Anyway, welcome to Winnipeg.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Just saw the Rittich interview. I think his expectations are somehow way out of whack. Sounds like he expects to be busy and wants to play every other night. More likely he plays twice a month. Anyway, welcome to Winnipeg.
I suspect Bowness will start with a more conventional starter to backup ratio than Maurice. Hellebuck's leash is also likely to be a little shorter if he has some bad games. I get the impression that Maurice basically left it up to Helle to decide when to play. I think (hope) that changes under Bowness.

Riitich isn't going to be a 1B, but could wind up with near 20 starts if he plays well.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Could be just his personality, but he came off as smarmy and not forthcoming . Like he's pissed at needing to sign here to resurrect his career or something .. Not even wanting to discuss what style he's looking to play. Almost like he's just taking this as an NHL pay check

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Could be just his personality, but he came off as smarmy and not forthcoming . Like he's pissed at needing to sign here to resurrect his career or something .. Not even wanting to discuss what style he's looking to play. Almost like he's just taking this as an NHL pay check

I mean he did sign a 1 year deal for under a million. Pretty much has to take what he can get to prove himself again if he wants to stay in the league.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Sounds like Rittich will be the oil to Helly's vinegar. I don't think this will turn out well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Last season, I would say that 95%+ of the people thought Comrie was a mistake to be our backup ( I was one ) and yet we were surprised by what we saw. So I'm willing to see what we get out of Rittich, who knows, maybe we will be surprised again.

And the thing about backup goalies is they are like underwear. If things get messy you put on a new pair. You can always find another backup.
Exactly this. If I was a Leafs fan I'd be far more upset with their moves at goaltender.

We still have a Vezina winner back there this year.

So we hate Rittich now too?

Hard to keep track.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Exactly this. If I was a Leafs fan I'd be far more upset with their moves at goaltender.

Hard to keep track.

I do not "hate" him. Just an observation .

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Hard to keep track.
The last Czech goalie left a bad stink around here!

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad