Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
A two-way D getting 60 pts is a no.1 D without a doubt.

But for Reinbacher, i see more of a defensive, physical stud that will contribute for 40 pts while getting very limited PP time (maybe 2nd unit).

For me he will be Guhle equivalent on the right side but with more physicality.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tbh, Guhle is that Habs' best defenseman right now, Matheson is just getting more icetime.
If they tasked Matheson with concentrating on defense and not getting caught up the ice he'd be far superior IMO.
I'd have him on an Amber light not a Green one.
He doesn't seem to have the wherewithal to understand when to force a puck and when not to.
Most of his turnovers put us at Defcon 3.
For two seasons now I've talked about how Kaiden Guhle's forays rarely leave us beyond Defcon 1.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If they tasked Matheson with concentrating on defense and not getting caught up the ice he'd be far superior IMO.
He doesn't seem to have the wherewithal to understand when to force a puck and when not to.
For two seasons now I've talked about how Kaiden Guhle's forays rarely leave us beyond Defcon 1.
I don't think Matheson has the IQ. I don't think he'd ever be a really solid defensive blueliner. But he's got amazing skating skills and a good instinct for scoring. He's a fine stopgap for us now.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
After scrolling through endless amounts of remarks, picking up on that a lot of sphincters have loosened up since Reinbacher has finally made it to North American ice. Knowing the crowd here though it's probably just a coincidence, right? lol

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
After scrolling through endless amounts of remarks, picking up on that a lot of sphincters have loosened up since Reinbacher has finally made it to North American ice. Knowing the crowd here though it's probably just a coincidence, right? lol
Loose sphincters can be a problem, especially in the aging population.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You realize that defcon 1 is worse then defcon 3 right? Defcon 1 is basically nuclear war is imminent whereas 3 is simply a higher state of readiness.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I don't disagree, but I think you're underselling the "more icetime part". Matheson plays over 25 minutes a night (5th in the NHL). And its not just ES and PP, he's in the top-20 in PK minutes per game too (almost 3 minutes a game).

Montreal's gotten certain veterans (Matheson, Savard, Evans, etc.) that they give extreme roles to in the name of sheltering some of the younger guys (especially on D).

For all of Matheson's puck management errors, he gives up the puck less frequently than guys like Kovacevic, Xhekaj and Struble. He just has the puck a lot and takes more risks (which lead to more rewards and also end up costing the team more). But he's doing exactly what the organization needs and wants - being a veteran D who will play lots of minutes against top competition and help in transition so they can bring their D prospects along more slowly. One of the reasons Matheson carries the puck more is so Guhle doesn't have to yet. If Matheson looked great in the minutes he played he'd be a top 10 to 15 D in the NHL, and no one could reasonably expect that from him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't disagree, but I think you're underselling the "more icetime part". Matheson plays over 25 minutes a night (5th in the NHL). And its not just ES and PP, he's in the top-20 in PK minutes per game too (almost 3 minutes a game).

Montreal's gotten certain veterans (Matheson, Savard, Evans, etc.) that they give extreme roles to in the name of sheltering some of the younger guys (especially on D).

For all of Matheson's puck management errors, he gives up the puck less frequently than guys like Kovacevic, Xhekaj and Struble. He just has the puck a lot and takes more risks (which lead to more rewards and also end up costing the team more). But he's doing exactly what the organization needs and wants - being a veteran D who will play lots of minutes against top competition and help in transition so they can bring their D prospects along more slowly. One of the reasons Matheson carries the puck more is so Guhle doesn't have to yet. If Matheson looked great in the minutes he played he'd be a top 10 to 15 D in the NHL, and no one could reasonably expect that from him.
No one will contest that. It actually makes tempering his affinity for jumping even more important for his overall game.
It's been evident to me how much more effective he's been when he does.
Mike Matheson's mistakes are often compounded when he tries to make up for them.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Matheson is this teams Brisbois. Second pair guy placed on the top pair and being improperly played because we have nobody else. And people get upset with the guy. Though I will say Matheson is better. Brisbois did earn the name Breezeby for a reason though lol.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Matheson is this teams Brisbois. Second pair guy placed on the top pair and being improperly played because we have nobody else. And people get upset with the guy. Though I will say Matheson is better. Brisbois did earn the name Breezeby for a reason though lol.
Yeah, the likeness to the Brisbois seems apt. He may have 'earned' it but he got waaaaay more hate than he should have. Montreal literally had no one else so they threw him to the wolves and he, for the "most" part, soldiered on. Just like Brisbois, I hold no hate, nor animosity towards Matheson. Actually, that goes for D. Desharnai as well. Given roles they didn't have the skills for because there were no others for the jobs (or in DD's case, because management was dumb as bricks). Your modern-day sacrificial offerings...

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I dont watch enough NHL outside of the Habs, Im already busy with our own prospects and the next drafts. But Heiskanen makes sense, Dobson, Pietrangelo, in that mold.

Thanks for your response. If he can reach that type of level, that's a big W for the future, for sure!

Reactions: Goldenhands

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I dont watch enough NHL outside of the Habs, Im already busy with our own prospects and the next drafts. But Heiskanen makes sense, Dobson, Pietrangelo, in that mold.

I don't see Heiskanen. Different play styles. Reinbacher is a very good skater, but Heiskanen is one of the best skaters in the league. I would say to people to try to find videos of Ryan Suter doing his breakout passes. Very similar player. There are videos of Suter doing breakout passes and stick plays and it really reminds me of Reinbacher.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I don't see Heiskanen. Different play styles. Reinbacher is a very good skater, but Heiskanen is one of the best skaters in the league. I would say to people to try to find videos of Ryan Suter doing his breakout passes. Very similar player.

I said Heiskanen because of they attack the offense very similar. They are not "flashy", but they have great speed, IQ, hands.

I agree with you, Heiskanen have great skating, but he is not a flashy offensive D-man. He is intelligent, great passing and know how to attack like Reinbacher.

Suter is more a shutdown D.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't see Heiskanen. Different play styles. Reinbacher is a very good skater, but Heiskanen is one of the best skaters in the league. I would say to people to try to find videos of Ryan Suter doing his breakout passes. Very similar player.
Im not the best at finding comparables. We could take a bit of Seider, a bit of Pietrangelo, a bit of Suter and Heiskanen I guess... Kid is great at breaking plays with his long reach and mobility, he is a strong skater who can pass sharply and skate the puck up ice. He has alot of top pairing traits.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I said Heiskanen because of they attack the offense very similar. They are not "flashy", but they have great speed, IQ, hands.

I agree with you, Heiskanen have great skating, but he is not a flashy offensive D-man. He is intelligent, great passing and know how to attack like Reinbacher.

Suter is more a shutdown D.

I don't see it at all. Heiskanen has elite skating, it's an integral part of his game like it is for guys like Makar or Karlsson. How many defensemen get breakaways like he does ? How many can cut to the inside of two D's, best then with speed and end up alone in front of the goalie to score ? Do you expect Reinbacher to ? He won't. He doesn't have the hands, he doesn't walk the line at that level, not does he have the silky hands Heiskanens has. Not the same kind of player.

Suter was a 40-50 point player top pairing D2 who scored many of his points from his excellent breakout passes. He was regularly in the top 15-20 of points by a D, so not just a shutdown D at all. He wasn't worried about the forechecker, he was looking for his options. He was rangy, covered a lot of ice defensively and was great at using his leverage/body angles to stuff out forwards. Sounds more like someone no ?

Im not the best at finding comparables. We could take a bit of Seider, a bit of Pietrangelo, a bit of Suter and Heiskanen I guess... Kid is great at breaking plays with his long reach and mobility, he is a strong skater who can pass sharply and skate the puck up ice. He has alot of top pairing traits.

Agreed.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Brisebois not only was out of place, but he also happened to sign the richest contract ever by a canadiens dman at the time. The expectations were never going to be met.

There is one thing brisebois did better imo and that was pass the puck. Other than that, I'd take Matheson.

One thing I will note though, the brisebois that came back in his final couple seasons in Montreal, on a reduced role seemed alot more reliable and less prone to brain cramps than brisebois 1.0 who was expected to be the top dman. This supports the point of those who identify Matheson as not dog crap but rather just miscast.

Reactions: yianik

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I don't see it at all. Heiskanen has elite skating, it's an integral part of his game like it is for guys like Makar or Karlsson. How many defensemen get breakaways like he does ? How many can cut to the inside of two D's, best then with speed and end up alone in front of the goalie to score ? Do you expect Reinbacher to ? He won't. He doesn't have the hands, he doesn't walk the line at that level, not does he have the silky hands Heiskanens has. Not the same kind of player.

Suter was a 40-50 point player top pairing D2 who scored many of his points from his excellent breakout passes. He was regularly in the top 15-20 of points by a D, so not just a shutdown D at all. He wasn't worried about the forechecker, he was looking for his options. He was rangy, covered a lot of ice defensively and was great at using his leverage/body angles to stuff out forwards. Sounds more like someone no ?

Agreed.

My comparables a while ago were Suter and Pietrangelo. I agree, I don't see a lot of Heineken but maybe he'll develop that way. Not likely but you never know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad