Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Any ideas about what names they're likely to be looking at? By my count, Torts, Babcock, Julien, Tocchet, and Gallant are all jobless...any personal preference?

I have my doubts that Gallant is in the running. There's a lot of mystery boxes around him. I'd be okay if he's out of the running.

I personally don't like Tocchet as a coach, and wouldn't want him leading the charge. But I can't rule him out at this time.

Torts is definitely a consideration, though I think Dolan might like him more than the front office does.

Julien is a possibility, as is Babcock. I don't know if the latter is necessarily a good thing. I'd include Boudreau there.

The Rangers have been high on Sullivan for a while, so they might be inclined to see what happens there.

I wouldn't rule out Montgomery, or even a dark horse like Karl Taylor.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
U will disagree...but the worst coach was Mike Keenan. Fired everywhere he goes..players hated him....traded Mike gartner..amonte..weight..for utter crap

Trottier was worse.

I'm not saying that Quinn was actually the worst. I'm just saying that whoever gets hired will probably be called an idiot and a horrible coach in short order.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Not sure about kids per se, but he has a history of abusing his players. He is a shithead as far as I am concerned.

I don't know much about it other than he seemed to have very successful runs in Anaheim and Detroit.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Jeez, I don’t really think it’s likely and I hadn’t even considered him until seeing him mentioned in a post above but Drury won a Cup with Roy in net and Roy is... certainly known for encouraging aggressive behavior. I can’t see them hiring Roy, but that would be interesting.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I have my doubts that Gallant is in the running. There's a lot of mystery boxes around him. I'd be okay if he's out of the running.

I personally don't like Tocchet as a coach, and wouldn't want him leading the charge. But I can't rule him out at this time.

Torts is definitely a consideration, though I think Dolan might like him more than the front office does.

Julien is a possibility, as is Babcock. I don't know if the latter is necessarily a good thing. I'd include Boudreau there.

The Rangers have been high on Sullivan for a while, so they might be inclined to see what happens there.

Ouch. I didn't like anything of what you just said. Except for Sullivan, who might not be available anyway.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I will also say, one reason this perhaps rings a bit hollow is I’m not sure it makes it any less likely that Blackwell (or similar) is on the PP at the expense of “the kids” given the totality of the last week of moves.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'm not saying that Quinn was actually the worst. I'm just saying that whoever gets hired will probably be called an idiot and a horrible coach in short order.
The way to avoid that is to avoid being an idiot and a horrible coach. That eliminates about 90% of the NHL coaching pool though.

Torts, babcock, AV, Julien, Tocchet. These guys have fundamental flaws that leave you baffled. Some of them flaws just as straight up human beings in ways that are baffling for a leader of men being paid millions. (Babcock)

Reactions: CLW

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I never understood all the AV hate.

Though I did understand that cutting him loose because we were entering a rebuild that we actually didn't want to win in, made sense.

You forgot that he was extended, then considered for running the rebuild and then he p***yed out and gave up, then the players followed...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The Rangers definitely like Sullivan (as do I), but there's no guarantee anymore that him and Pittsburgh part ways and the Rangers need to make a hire sooner than later.

Hiring Torts would signify that Dolan--not Drury--is in charge, and that's a scary thing.

I'm confident that Gallant is out. He would have been here already if there was mutual interest. But maybe Drury now being in the picture changes things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad