Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
It is expected that Drury will replace Quinn with an experienced NHL head coach who will face a mandate to take the Blueshirts to the next level, and sooner rather than later.
Gerard Gallant, Rick Tocchet, Bob Hartley, John Tortorella, Mike Babcock and Patrick Roy are among the early candidates to follow Quinn, who came to New York three years ago after a successful stint behind the bench at Boston University.
Rangers fire David Quinn with eye on experienced replacement

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
LOL, exactly.

In the 24 years I've been here, I think we've had a horrible, idiotic coach, whom the team won in spite of , at least 6 times.

And every time you'll hear, "No, we didn't hate the last coach nearly this much. This one is different."
Any ideas about what names they're likely to be looking at? By my count, Torts, Babcock, Julien, Tocchet, and Gallant are all jobless...any personal preference?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Interesting that they dumped the whole staff. Cant’t say I’m not pleased. I don’t think Quinn was able to get the most out of our guys, certainly not consistently.

I think the big thing here is to be on the lookout for coaches who bring a culture of preparation and motivation, similar to Brindamour, and who have a structured grasp of Xs and Os, as well as someone who can encourage an edge from the players.

I don’t think any coach can MAKE non-physical guys play physical, but it would be interesting to see what happens if a new coach takes Kreider, Gauthier, Chytil, Laf, Kakko, Krav, KAM, etc. aside and say look, you are big, strong guys and you’re strength is what is going to help us win games, by battling hard, grinding them down, making them tired. I want to see you guys engaged out there physically. Nothing lazy or irresponsible, but if you’re on them hard every shift and you take a penalty, we’ll kill it off. I won’t ever get on you for taking a penalty if it’s because you’re out there playing hard, taking the body and battling.

Guys who are used to be afraid of being glued to the bench for a mistake. I wonder if it can free them up to play with a bit more intensity.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Ain't that the truth...

In all honesty, I think Quinn did a fine job. He wasn't perfect and I got frustrated with him at times this year. Some of his flaws were masked by the play of Zibanejad and Panarin last year, but this team definitely over-achieved under his reign. Can't bash him for certain things and not give him credit for others. Players spoke highly of him (publicly at least) and a lot of our young guys improved, albeit slowly.

Now my next impending challenge is making it through this search without screaming "NO" at my laptop one more time...

I think the next coach will be tougher -- especially the veterans -- than Quinn, a player's coach by many accounts who let the vets run the asylum. That's my hope at least.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
LOL, exactly.

In the 24 years I've been here, I think we've had a horrible, idiotic coach, whom the team won in spite of , at least 6 times.

And every time you'll hear, "No, we didn't hate the last coach nearly this much. This one is different."

I never understood all the AV hate.

Though I did understand that cutting him loose because we were entering a rebuild that we actually didn't want to win in, made sense.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
F9C2B15E-3470-45AB-B2BF-FAAA96708936.gif

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Coaches like Keenan, Babcock and Tortorella might get you short-term success, but they leave you needing a complete gut renovation afterward.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad