Rumor: David Perron wants to return with Vegas

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
:laugh: Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Seriously, why?

Aren't taxes pretty low there as are housing prices? I have friends that live there (not near the strip but on the outskirts of Vegas) and say that they love it. Plus, I wouldn't mind being part of what's started off as a successful franchise that plays a (what seems to be) fun, up tempo style. If I were the players, I would love to see if they could re-create the magic of this season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Aren't taxes pretty low there as are housing prices? I have friends that live there (not near the strip but on the outskirts of Vegas) and say that they love it. Plus, I wouldn't mind being part of what's started off as a successful franchise that plays a (what seems to be) fun, up tempo style. If I were the players, I would love to see if they could re-create the magic of this season.

Every place has pros and cons and everybody has different likes and dislikes. I couldn't take the heat there, even though it is a dry heat. I certainly wouldn't like the endless party but I suspect most residents don't pay too much attention to that. If I made a list of places I would be attracted to go to and live there, LV would be a very long way down my list.

The magic of this season was a colossal fluke and highly unlikely to be repeated.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Every place has pros and cons and everybody has different likes and dislikes. I couldn't take the heat there, even though it is a dry heat. I certainly wouldn't like the endless party but I suspect most residents don't pay too much attention to that. If I made a list of places I would be attracted to go to and live there, LV would be a very long way down my list.

The magic of this season was a colossal fluke and highly unlikely to be repeated.

I agree about the fluke of this season (I think they'll be a playoff team and maybe make 2nd round barring major changes in the other teams in the division). I see your point about the heat, but that's a personal thing. I have no idea what Perron and the other players like/don't like. Personally, I like the heat over the cold so Vegas would be better for me than a place in the northeast. Vegas would be in my upper half of teams probably. And while the stadium is near all the party areas, the places my friends lived was quiet every time I visited them. I'm sure the players can get places away from noise and the parties.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
In terms of the revenue split this is true. In terms of the product on the ice, I doubt the owners are happy about paying players big money over a long term. I expect length of contract, or whether the contracts should be guaranteed for the entire term to be the next big issue.

The owners missed the boat on the bolded last time. It was the hill they were going to die on, until it wasn't. They insisted on a 5 year max contract, until they didn't. I'm sure they want it, I doubt they will get it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree about the fluke of this season (I think they'll be a playoff team and maybe make 2nd round barring major changes in the other teams in the division). I see your point about the heat, but that's a personal thing. I have no idea what Perron and the other players like/don't like. Personally, I like the heat over the cold so Vegas would be better for me than a place in the northeast. Vegas would be in my upper half of teams probably. And while the stadium is near all the party areas, the places my friends lived was quiet every time I visited them. I'm sure the players can get places away from noise and the parties.

You can always put on more clothes. There are only so many you can take off, :laugh: even if there are no laws involved.

I like sunshine - and warmth. But I will take cold over real heat. The first time I was in Vegas it was in April. It was seriously hot - bearable but only just. Didn't cool down much at night either.

I have also been there in mid-summer. Not bearable. As a hockey player, I could live there during the season and find some place more moderate for the off-season. As one of the little people, I can't afford seasonal homes.

Reactions: lwvs84

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The owners missed the boat on the bolded last time. It was the hill they were going to die on, until it wasn't. They insisted on a 5 year max contract, until they didn't. I'm sure they want it, I doubt they will get it.

They have a 7/8 year max now. I think they'll be okay with what they got on that front.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You can always put on more clothes. There are only so many you can take off, :laugh: even if there are no laws involved.

I like sunshine - and warmth. But I will take cold over real heat. The first time I was in Vegas it was in April. It was seriously hot - bearable but only just. Didn't cool down much at night either.

I have also been there in mid-summer. Not bearable. As a hockey player, I could live there during the season and find some place more moderate for the off-season. As one of the little people, I can't afford seasonal homes.

Yeah, that's true. Don't most players go "home" anyways for the summer? Usually go where their families live? I've been to Vegas during the summer, days are hot but I was actually comfortable at night there. But then again, I live in a desert and like the heat, so my comfortable temperature is probably 15 degrees higher than a normal person.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
If I am Vegas I don’t know that I really want him back. Age + Salary just not worth a roster spot for them imo

Reactions: KINGS17

Mar 6, 2012
I see Perron as one of those guys who plays until he's 36-37 and finishes his career having played for like 11 different teams.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
They have a 7/8 year max now. I think they'll be okay with what they got on that front.

They're already regretting it. Is there one player yet who has signed a 6,7, or 8 year deal that was worth the money for the length of the contract? Maybe some of the guys who went straight from ELC to long term MIGHT work out, but then the teams didn't get to bridge them either. Just going off history, 7 and 8 year deals are terrible for any team that gives them to UFAs.

Reactions: KINGS17

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He can go on some runs and rack up the points but I don't think he's a great player or anything.

Team friendly deal I'd bring him back but if he's looking to be really be compensated, payyyyyyyce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They're already regretting it. Is there one player yet who has signed a 6,7, or 8 year deal that was worth the money for the length of the contract? Maybe some of the guys who went straight from ELC to long term MIGHT work out, but then the teams didn't get to bridge them either. Just going off history, 7 and 8 year deals are terrible for any team that gives them to UFAs.

Generally, the teams that re-sign their own players to those terms have it work out pretty well. Most UFA's that make it there don't tend to be worth it but I don't think the owners have the leverage needed to get that concession from the players. What are they going to give up to get something like that?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Generally, the teams that re-sign their own players to those terms have it work out pretty well. Most UFA's that make it there don't tend to be worth it but I don't think the owners have the leverage needed to get that concession from the players. What are they going to give up to get something like that?

I agree with the bolded. They blew it last time when they didn't hold form on it. You're right, I don't think theowners have enough chips to ever get it reduced.

I don't necessarily agree though that signing your own pending UFAs work out any better. At least not if we're talking 6,7, 0r 8 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree with the bolded. They blew it last time when they didn't hold form on it. You're right, I don't think theowners have enough chips to ever get it reduced.

I don't necessarily agree though that signing your own pending UFAs work out any better. At least not if we're talking 6,7, 0r 8 years.

Well that limit applies to all contracts. I tend to agree that a 7 year deal for a UFA is not likely to work out very well since in most cases a player will be 34 when he ends it. But I just don't foresee a situation where the owners even want to lower that limit because that's how you keep costs down and keep your young RFA's in their prime under your control at reasonable rates. If you limit contracts to 5 years, you're limiting your ability to buy extra years at a discount that would normally cost a lot more. Honestly, it will only serve to drive up costs of players because there's no incentive to take a discount.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In a lockout the owners always win. Time is always on their side.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In a lockout the owners always win. Time is always on their side.

Not necessarily. Just because the last couple went that way doesn't mean this one will. The owners have to have leverage in collective bargaining in order to get something done. Just saying we won't do it until you cave on this won't work unless they can actually sell that to the public. If they don't then doing so will kill the golden goose and they won't have a business to go back to.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well that limit applies to all contracts. I tend to agree that a 7 year deal for a UFA is not likely to work out very well since in most cases a player will be 34 when he ends it. But I just don't foresee a situation where the owners even want to lower that limit because that's how you keep costs down and keep your young RFA's in their prime under your control at reasonable rates. If you limit contracts to 5 years, you're limiting your ability to buy extra years at a discount that would normally cost a lot more. Honestly, it will only serve to drive up costs of players because there's no incentive to take a discount.

The problem is that at the rate they are going, everybody is going to have a long term contract. Then, when players don't live up to those contracts (because most don't), there is no way to move on and clean house.

If the league had any balls they would push for every player being a UFA every year after their ELC expires. One year deals every year, everybody a UFA. Oh, that would be fun. :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem is that at the rate they are going, everybody is going to have a long term contract. Then, when players don't live up to those contracts (because most don't), there is no way to move on and clean house.

If the league had any balls they would push for every player being a UFA every year after their ELC expires. One year deals every year, everybody a UFA. Oh, that would be fun. :laugh:

The solution to that should be GM’s correcting their behavior instead of a negotiated mandate limiting how much a player makes off a business that no longer suffers due to the mistakes of management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad