Rumor: David Perron wants to return with Vegas

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Your GM also made a really dumb decision.

Not really. Kane's contract is about the same percentage of the cap as his previous contract was. People just need to get a grip on the rise of player salaries. But even if it was dumb, what makes you think another one won't do the same thing? It happens every year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There are two extremes going on here. He is unquestionably getting a raise. Even if we're working on the old ~$100k a point idea, his production puts him in the ~$4.5m range before this outlier season. The problem is you can't start paying guys huge money when they aren't effective in the playoffs, and Perron has had plenty of years like that.

There is absolutely no way any GM in the League is going to offer anything close to $7m. I could see in the low $5m range from someone.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There are two extremes going on here. He is unquestionably getting a raise. Even if we're working on the old ~$100k a point idea, his production puts him in the ~$4.5m range before this outlier season. The problem is you can't start paying guys huge money when they aren't effective in the playoffs, and Perron has had plenty of years like that.

There is absolutely no way any GM in the League is going to offer anything close to $7m. I could see in the low $5m range from someone.

Most GM's are at worst going to use the last three seasons when it comes to that idea and Perron would be at a roughly 5.5 mil salary for that. But people are going to have to start coming off the old 100k a point or 1 mil per 10 point standard because inflation is happening. When the cap rises, the salaries rise. The other thing is that players get pay days when they have good contract years. That's never going to change.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Yep, I absolutely see a dumb contract in the way of 5.5 over 3-4 years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not really. Kane's contract is about the same percentage of the cap as his previous contract was. People just need to get a grip on the rise of player salaries. But even if it was dumb, what makes you think another one won't do the same thing? It happens every year.

Not really. His previous cap hit was 7% of the cap, which would be a 5.75 cap hit based on the higher projected cap of $82 million.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not really. His previous cap hit was 7% of the cap, which would be a 5.75 cap hit based on the higher projected cap of $82 million.

Kane's previous contract was roughly 7.5% of the cap when he signed it. Him having 7 million on 82 mil cap is about 8.5% of it. It's hardly a big deal considering he had a good season and fit well with San Jose. Perron and Neal seeing the open market will probably see a similar value.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
People know who Kane is and he got that anyway. 7 million isn't that much with the rising cap.

The league knew Kane was a pretty consistent 25-30 goal caliber player when healthy. He was a relatively young UFA at 27 and that would allow any team signing him to squeeze a few prime years out of him before the drop off.

Perron is inconsistent from year to year. He’s been a 60 point caliber guy sporadically, but then a 45-50 caliber player otherwise. Perron’s style of play isn’t dependent on speed, so his age isn’t a big issue. His play in the post-season is; 3 playoff goals in 50+ career games is bad.

His value was pretty weak the last time he went to market. I don’t expect that change, 66 in 70 be damned.

Reactions: mouser

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The league knew Kane was a pretty consistent 25-30 goal caliber player when healthy. He was a relatively young UFA at 27 and that would allow any team signing him to squeeze a few prime years out of him before the drop off.

Perron is inconsistent from year to year. He’s been a 60 point caliber guy sporadically, but then a 45-50 caliber player otherwise. Perron’s style of play isn’t dependent on speed, so his age isn’t a big issue. His play in the post-season is; 3 playoff goals in 50+ career games is bad.

His value was pretty weak the last time he went to market. I don’t expect that change, 66 in 70 be damned.

Pretty sure someone will pay it. They almost always do and the free agent market is slim pickings after Tavares.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Somebody is going to give Perron a major contract that they will regret. I like him as a player and didn't want the Blues to expose him in the expansion draft, but I just don't see any way the guy repeats this year's performance. He'd have been a 50 point player on any other team. That's nothing to scoff at, but if somebody gives him money thinking he's going to approach point-per-game numbers again, they're in for a bad time. He's a useful 2nd line winger, but nothing more.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Pretty sure someone will pay it. They almost always do and the free agent market is slim pickings after Tavares.
featured.jpg

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Perron won’t repeat the year he just had. He also only has 3 career playoff goals.

He’s not really worth much over 4 mil in reality. He’s pretty average.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Perron won’t repeat the year he just had. He also only has 3 career playoff goals.

He’s not really worth much over 4 mil in reality. He’s pretty average.

When you have guys like Zibanejad, Tatar, and Hornqvist signing contracts for over $5 million per season coming off of 40ish points, I don't see anyway that Perron gets less than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad