David Perron: From Love to Hate - the HF Story

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah that was most of their sentiments.

I honestly think with the coaching issues and what not, he's probably just checked out right now and wishes it was summer so he can pick a new team and go from there and start from scratch.

I'd move him, I like Perron but he's far too inconsistent for what this team needs him for. At times he's super slow but then he can keep up and be engaged but it's flashes of it, last thing we need is a winger that is inconsistent when this team still employs Kunitz.

I don't see him re-signing with this team, so the only option is to move him at the deadline to a team that wants some depth in their top 9 and likes him enough to give up something of value. I think even getting a 2nd rounder and a prospect for him would be an epic win.

The sad part is, we lost a 1st rounder for him. That is going to hurt for a while.
He´s been pretty consistent for 80 games now though.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Pens have traded 3 first round picks and depth D man for 2 guys who cant score goals

Unless GMJR pulls off a miracle trade or these two start scoring they will go down as two of the worst trades this franchise has had. Not to mention the Despres one

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah Will, I'm done with Perron. You win haha. There is still something going on here that's bigger than Perron, but he's been bad in his own right. I know sometimes Sid and Geno set you up when you aren't expecting it, but how many grade A chances can you possibly miss?

Honestly, similar things to Kessel. He's one of the best goal scorers of the last decade and hasn't benefited at all (possibly has been hurt) from playing with Sid and Geno. I can't really blame JR all that much for that one. It was nearly unanimous that he would benefit from playing with at least one of Geno/Sid.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Right now, Perron is playing as poorly as anyone on the team. I have watched him the last 3 games and except for a very nice pass to Sid on Sid's goal he has done nothing. He was brought here to be a goal scorer. He has failed to do this. His skating is maybe at best average and his shot is probably softer than scuds shot. He belongs on the 3rd or 4th line. He is not a top 6 forward any more. If and when traded, don't expect much in return. He like Kunitz have gone downhill rapidly. With Perron it is occurring at younger age than with Kunitz.

Last night's game proved all of the following about perron. No shot, can't play D, can't pass and is only an average skater. The only reason the pen's got a point last night was taking Perron off Sid's line but it screwed Geno's line. He is no longer a top 6 F. He is a UFA, get what you can for him but no matter DON'T Resign HIM> Who do you replace him with > ANYBODY, it really doesn't matter. Perron had his chance to make big bucks in his UFA year but blew it with his sub-par production.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah Will, I'm done with Perron. You win haha. There is still something going on here that's bigger than Perron, but he's been bad in his own right. I know sometimes Sid and Geno set you up when you aren't expecting it, but how many grade A chances can you possibly miss?

Honestly, similar things to Kessel. He's one of the best goal scorers of the last decade and hasn't benefited at all (possibly has been hurt) from playing with Sid and Geno. I can't really blame JR all that much for that one. It was nearly unanimous that he would benefit from playing with at least one of Geno/Sid.
Thanks, but this win feels like a loss. The purpose of my Anti-Perron campaign wasn´t to win the discussion. It was just all about frustration. And it´s still there, win or not. The last night was the worst. He is actively hurting a team with every shift he takes.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I know he still had a year left on his deal but I can't believe we traded a 1st rounder for him:help:

Time to accept the fact that the Oilers fleeced you JR and trade him now

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, Perron sucks. Trade him to a team looking for a reclamation project. Any value you can get is fine by me.

He's dumb, takes too long to get a shot off, horrible defensively and isn't near fast enough to make up for it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know he still had a year left on his deal but I can't believe we traded a 1st rounder for him:help:

Time to accept the fact that the Oilers fleeced you JR and trade him now

At the time, most of us assumed he would be the creative top 6 winger that would pot 50+ points and that JR would re-sign him in the summer. Even this summer I was interested in re-signing him. Almost a year later and the trade definitely looks like a disaster.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks, but this win feels like a loss. The purpose of my Anti-Perron campaign wasn´t to win the discussion. It was just all about frustration. And it´s still there, win or not. The last night was the worst. He is actively hurting a team with every shift he takes.

I know you didn't want to win. We just went back and forth about your negativity towards him, so I felt obligated to make a mention of you being mostly right. He isn't a good fit for this team, that's for sure.

If I could go back and undo all of JR's in season trades last year, I would.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's sad, that deal was an absolute steal on paper when it was made, we traded a waiver wire guy and a presumably low 1st for a gritty, skilled top-6 winger capable of 25 goals and 50 points. That ended up backfiring horribly, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

If Perron would be scoring, I think a lot of his flaws could be overlooked. However, when you have a guy who sucks defensively, is a bad skater and is dumb as hell (low hockey IQ), and then add on he's not producing, you have a guy that is providing literally nothing and is only hurting us.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
It's sad, that deal was an absolute steal on paper when it was made, we traded a waiver wire guy and a presumably low 1st for a gritty, skilled top-6 winger capable of 25 goals and 50 points. That ended up backfiring horribly, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

If Perron would be scoring, I think a lot of his flaws could be overlooked. However, when you have a guy who sucks defensively, is a bad skater and is dumb as hell (low hockey IQ), and then add on he's not producing, you have a guy that is providing literally nothing and is only hurting us.
I was one of the ones happy about the trade when it happened. I liked Perron in Stl and Edmonton. Not sure what happened to him but his game has totally gone to ****. You dont see any of the dangles or snipes at all anymore and to make matters worse he looks like one of the slowest skaters in the nhl. I hope JR trades him for anything he can get because keeping him isn't going to help the Pens win. Gotta start cutting the dead weight before the tdl. The Pens are not making the playoffs this season.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
The crazy thing is that first month when when we picked him up we ALL thought it was a fantastic trade. He was putting the puck in the net, overall a great pickup.

Only hope I have is that if old man JR can turn a scuderi into a Daly.

Maybe he can turn a Perron into a Drouin ;)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The crazy thing is that first month when when we picked him up we ALL thought it was a fantastic trade. He was putting the puck in the net, overall a great pickup.

Only hope I have is that if old man JR can turn a scuderi into a Daly.

Maybe he can turn a Perron into a Drouin ;)

Not a chance :laugh:

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
David Perron cannot be this bad of a hockey player.

That said, it's time to move him for some sort of return.

He's not. And suffice to say, if we move him for some sort of return I can assure you that said return would be just as bad, if not worse. Is it any surprise that Kessel has looked no better than your average speedy bottom sixer since arriving? Sid has been producing at under a ppg rate for half a season, Geno has been either red hot or god awful, while Hornqvist hast been sub-par in terms of production all season as well.

There is a problem with this team's production that goes WELL beyond just Perron at this point, and unfortunately no matter what big name we bring aboard next it won't change a damn thing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

My point was just exasperation at people swatting flies when there's an enormous $5 million elephant that they want to ignore due to sunk cost phenomenon. Flies are dirty animals, but they don't crap as much as an elephant, so let's triage the threat proportionally. At least people are finally seeing him for what he is.

The damage Perron does is incalculable. I counted 4 brutal turnovers (I could say six, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on two more plays) and 2 sucker-passes on his first five shifts last night (Daley came a fraction of a second from getting murdered and Sid saw what was coming ahead of time and just tried to steal it back instead of catching the pass--this worked by the way, but that doesn't excuse the stupidity of the pass). And this is without even going into anything he did (wrong) offensively or after the first period.

If a guy's going to do stuff like that, he better be a reliable bet to score 40, not something in the 4-8 range. Now that we have him, what we traded for him doesn't go toward what he actually does for us. Kael Mouillierat could score 5 or 6 goals without causing any of the problems in the previous paragraph. Hell, looks like Farnham put his money where his mouth was and actually did it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I didn't have any idea how far he'd fallen off, but I definitely did not like the idea of trading a first round pick for a guy like him on the day we made the trade.

Friedman has an item in his 30 thoughts column about how most GMs are loathe to trade players with a 6 year age difference (though not JR, obviously). It was not exactly a secret that there were Perron level players available in the 2015 draft well into the second round. 2015 first for a year and a half of a guy like him just seemed like it had major potential to blow up in our face when that draft pick hit the NHL. Well, it blew up even before that. When Barzal becomes a Penguin-killer (which you know he will), that knife is gonna twist awful deep.

If there's a single silver-lining, at least we didn't miss the playoffs and then have our traded pick win the lottery.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I didn't have any idea how far he'd fallen off, but I definitely did not like the idea of trading a first round pick for a guy like him on the day we made the trade.

Friedman has an item in his 30 thoughts column about how most GMs are loathe to trade players with a 6 year age difference (though not JR, obviously). It was not exactly a secret that there were Perron level players available in the 2015 draft well into the second round. 2015 first for a year and a half of a guy like him just seemed like it had major potential to blow up in our face when that draft pick hit the NHL. Well, it blew up even before that. When Barzal becomes a Penguin-killer (which you know he will), that knife is gonna twist awful deep.

If there's a single silver-lining, at least we didn't miss the playoffs and then have our traded pick win the lottery.

The Friedman thoughts was saying that GMs aren't trading 30 year olds for 24 year olds. He then concluded they weren't likely to do a 24 year old for an 18 year old, especially for a rebuilding team. You can't miss the context here though. He is speaking about trading a 24 year old for a top 3 pick to draft Laine and Puljujarvi like Burke did with the Sedins, not for what JR assumed (wrongly assumed) was a late 1st round pick.

Point being, that's not a fair comparison.

As it turned out, JR made a mistake. Perron hasn't worked out, the Pens almost missed the playoffs, and his trade value is now at a really low point.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
perron sucks but i bet he goes to another team and returns to his previous abilities

it's the team's fault. maybe getting rid of perron helps change it, or maybe that suck just infects someone else

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The Friedman thoughts was saying that GMs aren't trading 30 year olds for 24 year olds. He then concluded they weren't likely to do a 24 year old for an 18 year old, especially for a rebuilding team. You can't miss the context here though. He is speaking about trading a 24 year old for a top 3 pick to draft Laine and Puljujarvi like Burke did with the Sedins, not for what JR assumed (wrongly assumed) was a late 1st round pick.

Point being, that's not a fair comparison.

As it turned out, JR made a mistake. Perron hasn't worked out, the Pens almost missed the playoffs, and his trade value is now at a really low point.

Probably put it in the wrong thread, but here it is again.

I urge you guys to watch this video. Look at his snipes. Look at his hands. Look at how feisty he is. It's a travesty what's happened to him.

I liked the trade at the time, thinking what were the odds that a first rounder (None of us thought we'd make the playoffs on the last day of the season) is going to turn into a David Perron. Man was I wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad