David Perron: From Love to Hate - the HF Story

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If there's already another one of these dedicated to the magic that is David Perron then my apologies. That being said, even if there is one the guy has been so absolutely lights-out for us that he flat out DESERVES a second one!

8 goals since we've acquired him. 8 goals in just 14 games and 12 points in total. To say that he's been anything short of excellent for us would be a great understatement. The kid has great hands, great hockey sense, doesn't shy away from the crowded areas in front of the net, and is making sure to make his presence felt physically whenever he doesn't happen to have the puck (ie. forecheck). Thus far he's shown that he's not only the ideal solid all-round top 6 winger we've been searching for for years, but that he's also managed to forge some incredible chemistry with Sid.

Suffice to say, those who even attempted to suggest that we may have somehow "overpaid" for him by dealing away a first rounder were sorely mistaken. That being said, with one more year remaining on his current contract, do we look to re-sign him long term next season (barring any potential sudden meltdown's in his productivity), and if so, at what term/cost?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's the most complete winger we've had since Hossa I think. I just love having another guy who can carry the play. If Sid was taken out of a play with Kunitz and Dupuis, you could not rely on those two to make something happen. Neal was great at what he did, as is Hornqvist. But their skillsets still lead to them relying on their linemates to carry most of the play. Perron is a guy who will consistently punish teams who try to overplay towards Sid.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He's the most complete winger we've had since Hossa I think. I just love having another guy who can carry the play. Neal was great at what he did, as is Hornqvist. But their skillsets still lead to them relying on their linemates to create most of the plays. Perron is a guy who will consistently punish teams who try to overplay towards Sid.

Well said. Neal and Horny aren't the type of guys that can really create space/opportunities for themselves or their linemates. Great finishers in their own right, but still limited in what they can bring. Perron on the other hand seems to be the kind of guy that isn't afraid to carry the biscuit deep into enemy territory on his own, hold onto it for extended periods, and actually try to create opportunities for himself. Definitely refreshing to see.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If there's anyone winger Bennett should learn from, Perron is it.

I held reserve for Perron only due to his concussion he sustained.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I'm still shocked at the surprising amount of people who didn't like giving a first up for him at the time of the trade.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well said. Neal and Horny aren't the type of guys that can really create space/opportunities for themselves or their linemates. Great finishers in their own right, but still limited in what they can bring. Perron on the other hand seems to be the kind of guy that isn't afraid to carry the biscuit deep into enemy territory on his own, hold onto it for extended periods, and actually try to create opportunities for himself. Definitely refreshing to see.

And not just create opportunities for himself. He can create opportunities for his linemates. He's not just a guy who can dangle and get a shot off. If Sid gets pushed out of the play, I wouldn't be very confident in a Kunitz-Hornqvist pair scoring. It will happen sometimes just as it did with Kunitz and Neal or even Kunitz and Dupuis. But not regularly. Perron with any of those guys can be a threat every time they are together.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm still shocked at the surprising amount of people who didn't like giving a first up for him at the time of the trade.

Living in MTL a slew of Habs homers would come up to me telling me that we somehow "overpaid" for him because of that first rounder. I later realized it was because apparently Perron was also on Bergevin's radar and he opted to bow out of the chase for him. Ya...I'd be trying my hardest to downplay his value as well :)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If there's anyone winger Bennett should learn from, Perron is it.

I held reserve for Perron only due to his concussion he sustained.

Definitely can see Bennett as a guy who can be similar to Perron. I don't think he'll ever have his shot, but he's got the ability to carry the puck and create offensive chances

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
So, lets get a little hypothetical here:

In the event that Perron manages to a) stay relatively healthy throughout the duration of his current contract, and b) manages to produce at a 30+ goal, 60-70 point rate, what do we look to offer him long term?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So, lets get a little hypothetical here:

In the event that Perron manages to a) stay relatively healthy throughout the duration of his current contract, and b) manages to produce at a 30+ goal, 60-70 point rate, what do we look to offer him long term?

5.5/6 x 7/8

penguins2946*

Perron will likely get an extension in the area of 6 years at around $5.5 million, and if he continues this play, he'll be entirely worth it. He's out best winger since Hossa. I'm just scared he won't want to sign here.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around

Yea, that was weird. He obviously had the skill and the ability to be close to a PPG player, EDM is just be tough to play for I guess.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
Perron will likely get an extension in the area of 6 years at around $5.5 million, and if he continues this play, he'll be entirely worth it. He's out best winger since Hossa. I'm just scared he won't want to sign here.

Ditto. Losing him would be hard to recover from.

Still can't believe how lucky we were to get him for what is going to be a late first-round pick.

5.5/6.0 x 6/7

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
a way better trade for the Pens than the Neal for Hornqvist+Spaling one.wish we had two Perrons, one for Sid and the other for Geno.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's been impressive, even though he and Sid still have to get familiar with one another's tendencies. Great shot, great dangles, good playmaking, dedicated forechecking/backchecking, consistent effort.

Very nice acquisition by JR and definitely a step in the right direction for our top 6. I only wish he were faster. And playing on the ******* left side. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Definitely can see Bennett as a guy who can be similar to Perron. I don't think he'll ever have his shot, but he's got the ability to carry the puck and create offensive chances

The shot is deceiving because he doesn't use it enough. He has the puck poise to make it happen, and a couple of his goals shows he can if he would apply that to his game more to gain confidence in his shot.

I wouldn't be scared he'd want to play here as much as the term and cap hit.

He plays the right way, but like all humans, he'll have laps like the rest.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon

I get the sense that he loves it here, he seems to be buddy-buddy with all the french guys, mainly Letang. I honestly think we'll have no problems with him re-signing here, but maybe that's just me haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad