Player Discussion David Pastrnak V

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
You can harp on the "cap percentage was invented for McDavid" thing all you want, and you don't have to believe me that it isn't remotely true, but I do remember Dom also telling you that was completely wrong and he's much more believable than any of us.

The whole "cap percentage" was invented for McDavid is a farce. All you have to do is look at the structure of the CBA. Things like offer-sheets go up as the cap goes up, the maximum salary goes up as the cap goes up.
At the start of the cap era, if you offered 5m in an offer-sheet it was 4 first round picks. 5m was a lot. Now it is almost 10 million dollars in an offer sheet for 4 first round picks.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If im another team with cap room and that 8 year 6 mill deal offer is actually legit. Im sending pasta an 8yr 8 mill offer sheet. Sure I'll sacrifice some picks for pasta who's a star. Would love to pry away a player like that while the bruins are grasping at straws

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If im another team with cap room and that 8 year 6 mill deal offer is actually legit. I, sending pasta an 8yr 8 mill offer sheet. Sure I'll sacrifice some picks for pasta who's a star. Would love to pry away a player like that while the bruins are grasping at straws

Relax, this will get done. People on this board on getting themselves all worked up over nothing, patience.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If im another team with cap room and that 8 year 6 mill deal offer is actually legit. Im sending pasta an 8yr 8 mill offer sheet. Sure I'll sacrifice some picks for pasta who's a star. Would love to pry away a player like that while the bruins are grasping at straws

I am willing to consider that there's more unicorns in the world than offer sheets. They were a thing for about 10 years (1988-98).
After that, for the last 19 years there have been 8 offer sheets signed (last was 4 1/2 years ago), 7 matched, 1 player acquired (Dustin Penner, 7.26.2007).
Not worried.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I am willing to consider that there's more unicorns in the world than offer sheets. They were a thing for about 10 years (1988-98).
After that, for the last 19 years there have been 8 offer sheets signed (last was 4 1/2 years ago), 7 matched, 1 player acquired (Dustin Penner, 7.26.2007).
Not worried.

I'm not worried either. Just commenting. I worry about bills and career. In the end watching hockey is a hobby that many Canadians enjoy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not worried.

The Bruins will be grasping at straws ?

Zero chance he's offer sheeted

Jay Leach was told he was coach weeks even months ago and they just got around

This isn't far off

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Bruins will be grasping at straws ?

Zero chance he's offer sheeted

Jay Leach was told he was coach weeks even months ago and they just got around

This isn't far off

It's was a speculative post if I was a GM and that 6 mill offer was real. I like pasta and I would offer sheet him 8 mill. Maybe u wouldn't, I would.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Part of my point last page about him not having as much leverage and not all negotiations being created equal - is that I think a few of these other young players got over-payed. Teams that sucked and sold this kinda 'rebuild' to the fans couldn't allow any problems with the young stars they drafted so gave them extra money as they had just spent 3 years marketing the player and as a justification for sucking so badly.

A small example of what I'm thinking will happen is Hall getting paid more than Seguin on their second contracts. Edmonton had more cap-space and couldn't afford a hold-out or ill will as he was already the face of the franchise. Seguin was in a different situation, although just as good (better) he was on a very good team with star players that didn't tank and have to sell him to the fans as a saviour.
That's why I think Pastrnak will sign for less than a lot of these other guys.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Part of my point last page about him not having as much leverage and not all negotiations being created equal - is that I think a few of these other young players got over-payed. Teams that sucked and sold this kinda 'rebuild' to the fans couldn't allow any problems with the young stars they drafted so gave them extra money as they had just spent 3 years marketing the player and as a justification for sucking so badly.

A small example of what I'm thinking will happen is Hall getting paid more than Seguin on their second contracts. Edmonton had more cap-space and couldn't afford a hold-out or ill will as he was already the face of the franchise. Seguin was in a different situation, although just as good (better) he was on a very good team with star players that didn't tank and have to sell him to the fans as a saviour.
That's why I think Pastrnak will sign for less than a lot of these other guys.

I don't disagree with your post, however I think at that point in time Hall had posted better offensive numbers.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If you're Sweeney, why say anything here?

"We're continuing to communicate and are confident that we'll have a deal in place prior to the start of camp."

Why even leave the door ajar?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The whole "cap percentage" was invented for McDavid is a farce. All you have to do is look at the structure of the CBA. Things like offer-sheets go up as the cap goes up, the maximum salary goes up as the cap goes up.
At the start of the cap era, if you offered 5m in an offer-sheet it was 4 first round picks. 5m was a lot. Now it is almost 10 million dollars in an offer sheet for 4 first round picks.

are you saying that the common discussion was... ok last year a 3rd line rightwing got 2.63% of the cap and now the cap went up 2.55% so this year a 3rd line rightwing gets 2.63% which means we got to pay an extra 61 thousand dollars???

because I promise you that never happened

instead... what happened is guys said... ok the cap has gone up 2 million dollars... I need an extra 250 thousand more than what I would have got before

REAL DOLLARS... that's the discussion point. no one has ever been saying I need my 4.68% of the cap

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If you're Sweeney, why say anything here?

"We're continuing to communicate and are confident that we'll have a deal in place prior to the start of camp."

Why even leave the door ajar?

I'm guessing the talks are going like... Sweeney... ok heres the number

and pastrnaks side... lets wait for draisailt to sign his deal

and Sweeney thinking to himself... I don't want that situation to effect this deal... id rather sign now

so hence... the comment

ultimately at the end of the day boston isn't going to destroy the market place and is hoping Edmonton wont too even though they sort of already did

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
From Ty Anderson's article on weei.com: http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anderson/bruins-have-not-made-progress-new-deal-david-pastrnak
It's believed that the Bruins would prefer to get Pastrnak, who is currently with the Bruins on a trip to China as part of a partnership with O.R.G. Packaging, under contract for somewhere close to $6 million per season on a long-term deal, while Pastrnak's camp could be looking for something closer to $7 million per season.
What's the hold up? Meet in the middle $6.5M long-term. If Pastrnak and his camp was looking closer to $8M, I could understand the hesitation, but in my opinion, signing Pastrnak long-term even at around $7M would be a get deal for both sides.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Maybe I'm being too old school or failing to adjust to meet the modern day salary structure, but $7M long term for Pastrnak strikes me as high. Not to say he won't be worth more than that (and maybe shortly) or that he wasn't impressive last season (he was), but why do the Bruins need to pay him like that based on his small sample size? Further, why when they still have some leverage with his free agency status?

I'll cop to being overly conservative here but if it were me and the player's agent was insisting on $7M I'd probably make him wait that out for a while. Maybe even float a trade rumor or two. I'd think you ought to be able to get him for less than that, especially if you're willing to go long-term already.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
From Ty Anderson's article on weei.com: http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anderson/bruins-have-not-made-progress-new-deal-david-pastrnak

What's the hold up? Meet in the middle $6.5M long-term. If Pastrnak and his camp was looking closer to $8M, I could understand the hesitation, but in my opinion, signing Pastrnak long-term even at around $7M would be a get deal for both sides.

Maybe neither side is willing to meet in the middle at this point?

Hopefully they just get it done.

Also, side note: All this talk about the possible lock out in the near future sounds fairly obnoxious.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I know people keep telling me I don't have a clue what I'm talking about... but all reports are the bruins are thinking exactly as I am. and they have done the same research I have... and they understand the same ramifications I do if they go above market value for a 21 year old kid

as long as Edmonton holds the line... this will end well... I wouldn't worry. theres really no leverage for pastrnak to break the bank here

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

8x8 is 64 divided by 5 is 10.8... 4 first rounders comp

and now you are paying the 3rd-4th best player on your team 8 mill... might annoy the vets on your team when the kid is being paid more

but it will certainly excite the other kids you need to sign in the future... payday for them

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
8x8 is 64 divided by 5 is 10.8... 4 first rounders comp

and now you are paying the 3rd-4th best player on your team 8 mill... might annoy the vets on your team when the kid is being paid more

but it will certainly excite the other kids you need to sign in the future... payday for them

that part I dont care about. bring baseball into this Chris Sale is paid less that like 5 other overpaid players on the sox, I dont see him complaining, or do I think any bruin would be that petty

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
that part I dont care about. bring baseball into this Chris Sale is paid less that like 5 other overpaid players on the sox, I dont see him complaining, or do I think any bruin would be that petty

in the last cba the owners said we don't want to pay the kids anymore... the union said ok

I sort of think this battle has already been fought and won

now the question isn't elc... that's been decided... but this second contract thing will be the new battleground.

unions as a rule... and this is in all society... unions want to compensate guys with tenure. that's how unions work

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
in the last cba the owners said we don't want to pay the kids anymore... the union said ok

I sort of think this battle has already been fought and won

now the question isn't elc... that's been decided... but this second contract thing will be the new battleground.

unions as a rule... and this is in all society... unions want to compensate guys with tenure. that's how unions work

but if they are a talent, they get paid, ex Mcdavid

Pasta is a talent too, should get paid, but not as much as Mcdavid.

I dont like this statement from Sweeney, I think its setting us up for a cold reality of a trade. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad