Player Discussion David Pastrnak V

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
If im another team with cap room and that 8 year 6 mill deal offer is actually legit. Im sending pasta an 8yr 8 mill offer sheet. Sure I'll sacrifice some picks for pasta who's a star. Would love to pry away a player like that while the bruins are grasping at straws

Correct me if I am wrong but:
1. Don't the Bruins have the ability to match any offer?

AND

2. Would he not have to sign an offer sheet with someone else in the first place?

He seems very happy to be a Bruin to me, I can just not see him signing a random offer sheet for more money. Maybe I am putting him on a higher pedestal than he deserves but I can not see him wanting to do that

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

AND

2. Would he not have to sign an offer sheet with someone else in the first place?

He seems very happy to be a Bruin to me, I can just not see him signing a random offer sheet for more money. Maybe I am putting him on a higher pedestal than he deserves but I can not see him wanting to do that

hopefully so, but in hockey there are so many injuries and playing careers can be short, why not get as much as you can while you can?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe I'm being too old school or failing to adjust to meet the modern day salary structure, but $7M long term for Pastrnak strikes me as high. Not to say he won't be worth more than that (and maybe shortly) or that he wasn't impressive last season (he was), but why do the Bruins need to pay him like that based on his small sample size? Further, why when they still have some leverage with his free agency status?

I'll cop to being overly conservative here but if it were me and the player's agent was insisting on $7M I'd probably make him wait that out for a while. Maybe even float a trade rumor or two. I'd think you ought to be able to get him for less than that, especially if you're willing to go long-term already.

I would not float a trade rumor after the Kessel, Seguin, Hamilton end result

But the rest makes sense does seem high

We were discussing how he looked in over his head in game 1 of the Workd Cup when he clobbered Bergeron and was running around and 10 months later we are at $7 M

The only good news about seeing that number is the Leafs big 3 are going to be North of $25 M

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
hopefully so, but in hockey there are so many injuries and playing careers can be short, why not get as much as you can while you can?

That is a mercenary viewpoint that I hope he does not hold, but I could not fault him (too much) if he took

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I wish Sweeney did this much penny pinching with Beleskey, Backes and Hayes.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
but if they are a talent, they get paid, ex Mcdavid

Pasta is a talent too, should get paid, but not as much as Mcdavid.

I dont like this statement from Sweeney, I think its setting us up for a cold reality of a trade. IMO

to me youve hit this argument right on the head

we look at modern history... gretzky got a market breaking contract as a kid

lindros got one

crosby got one

malkin and ovechkin got one

theres a pattern here... and mcdavid fits the pattern

you have to look very hard to find other kids who got market breaking contracts

when thornton and samsonov were being signed i expected holdouts... holdouts were common in those days. i was surprised their deals were right at the top of the market

but when kessel and seguin got their deals, boston wasnt willing to go above market

is pastrnak different than thornton, kessel, seguin. the front office is old school... jacobs people... they drank the cool aid

i FULLY UNDERSTAND PASTRNAK COULD ASK FOR MORE... hell i could ask my boss for a 5 dollar raise too. asking for more isnt what im talking about

we have to respect the offer sheet... we want to be fair..
that means we must understand the market. my boss wont give me 5 dollars more because she can replace me for less.

will we ruin pastrnak if we give him 6? will he demand a trade? do we want him if thats his attitude?

if this was mcdavid or crosby then i believe we would give him the moon... but its not the best player in nhl... its not even the best player on the team

he will be paid well even if he has to settle for 6

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wish Sweeney did this much penny pinching with Beleskey, Backes and Hayes.

didnt he? werent they signed to market value? seams to me hayes was a 19 goal guy... belesky and backes ufa...

what you really mean is you wish these players played better for us because there was no option to sign them for less

or maybe you wish we didnt sign them at all

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

AND

even sakic signed an offer sheet... if the money is big enough guys have to sign

but

bruins are offering 6... so you have to find someone who wants to pay more. imho theres no one that wants to pay more except a few fans and some media types that get paid for having a take

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
even sakic signed an offer sheet... if the money is big enough guys have to sign

but

bruins are offering 6... so you have to find someone who wants to pay more. imho theres no one that wants to pay more except a few fans and some media types that get paid for having a take

you're delusional if you think a team wouldn't give Pasta 7 million if he was a UFA today. He probably won't get offer-sheeted because nobody wants to give up the picks AND money, but if the Bruins are in fact stuck on 6 million then they are lowballing him a bit.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

but

6 is certianly an offer but I bet Pastas agent scoffs at it. If Neely and Sweeney mess this one up, they'll both be gone IMO. Such a easy layup to miss. Kinda hard to sell us on a build a develop narrative if u can't resign the good players you actually hit on. I think Sweeneys statement shows the FO clown trio are in way over their heads

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad