Rumor: David Pagnotta: "Weegar’s name floating around, and Sens have expressed interest"

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What in the actual F is this? Are you implying Schenn and Brock have similar value to Zaitsev lie wtf are futures ? They better be a couple of 1sts ffs.
Now I understand that on this site negativity and misinformation reign Supreme when it comes to the nucks (look at avsboy thread where Quinn is a train wreck while being a ppg minutes leader and +-- +11 leader which is better than Makars on a team 31st in GAA with some of the most putrid goaltending I've ever seen.)

This agenda that Brock who despite no camp and a setback once he returned has 35 points in 46 games a lot of that 5on5 with 3rd liners. He makes 6 million and has been a .7ppg 28 goal pace pretty much his entire career. People act like he's making 9 million with a .5ppg stat-line.
Someone please tell me what a 60 point 25 goal guy gets in today's NHL, if he's overpaid its not by a lot he's also just 25. Then there's Schenn league min, 18 points +8 and somehow those two return a truly bad contact and future considerations? Not even definite pieces just some ambiguous return.

The funniest thing is the only reason Brock would be moved is to gain cap or an actual hockey trade so something like an RHD that has similar value to a guy that consistently puts up 2nd line numbers with the caveat that if he kid gets a fully healthy season with a good playmaker centre, he's got enough skill to pop 40.

Lastly, he's played much better as of late under Tochett who's giving him an actual chance unlike Bruce and our GM just said that there's a very real scenario where Brock stays plus the trade idea was when Bruce hardly put him in a good spot and JR was still very much involved in things, he's not now.

I mean Brock and Schenn is what imo is just about fair for weegs straight up and that's giving him a mulligan on this season where he's got less points than Luke , not good look for a guy who got paid because he put up points.
Bruh simmer down. Weegar probably costs a 1st + prospect, Zaitsev a 2nd+ to dump. There's your return for Vancouver

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think it'd be stupid for Calgary to move on from Weegar this early, but I I wonder if there's a possible 3 way here.

To Calgary:
Schenn
Boeser

To Ottawa:
Weegar

To Vancouver:
Zaitsev
Futures from Ottawa (cost of Weegar + dumping Zaitsev)
Schenn fetches a second from Calgary, whether or not the Flames decide to pursue him.

Boeser is not a negative asset, and we're in no rush to move him if we don't get value and the right pieces back.

Zaitsev is a negative asset to us. We have better RHD, getting more low level, bottom pairing guys doesn't help the team, and his cap hit hurts this team.

While I personally have no trouble with the length of Weegar's contract, I do have a problem with giving up two assets that still have a role on this team for him. Halifax Habs put up a stats comparison of Schenn and Weegar, and while I like Weegar, Schenn has the stats we want more then Weegar, and isn't getting 6.25 by 8. I'd be happy talking Boeser (or Garland) for Weegar, but Ottawa's inclusion in this kind of deal (in spite of the story centering around Ottawa and Calgary) just really muddies the waters for a three way, when a direct trade with Calgary would be preferred.

A Myers (who makes 1 million next season after his bonus is paid) for Zaitsev+(a second round pick has been discussed) deal this offseason brings Ottawa back into the discussion with the pieces supplied, but Weegar's acquisition being conditional on a deal like this would really be about the extent of his involvement.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This is really stupid. C'mon, who the f*** would believe this

All reports make it sound like Treliving - or the Flames ownership - thinks this team should be higher in the standings. Couple that with Treliving making shortsighted moves, and I wouldn't rule it out.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It's obvious Weegars game (Though a legit #2/3) is not meant for Sutters system. Would love him on the Canucks if he wasnt signed 8 years after this.
Seems lots of players’ offensive game over the years haven’t meshed especially well with Sutter hockey lol

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Couple of years ago he seemed to have a stretch where he broke all the deals basically.

Had a good short run
He had a big mouth so people stopped confiding in him :laugh::laugh:

You'd think a cash strapped team like AZ would just start their own 'news' agency and just leak all the GM chatter to corner the market and use the clickbait revenue to rent a bigger rink.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Florida will accept Weegar and Huberdeau back at 50%, should Calgary agree to take Bobrovsky and return our pick and prospect. You can throw in Markstrom, why not 😛😛😛

As a neutral fan i think it sounds like a great deal sadly that pick is tied up in a deal with Montreal in order to dump the Monohan contract. :D

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
All reports make it sound like Treliving - or the Flames ownership - thinks this team should be higher in the standings. Couple that with Treliving making shortsighted moves, and I wouldn't rule it out.

Never underestimate the stupidity of a desperate GM

I’m with you both with the stupidity and not meeting expectations but he has an 8 year extension. Name another player who was traded 50 games into an 8 year extension. Would be a first.

edit - year before the extension

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I’m with you both with the stupidity and not meeting expectations but he has an 8 year extension. Name another player who was traded 50 games into an 8 year extension. Would be a first.

Pagnotta said he's "searching for ways to improve his team." I wouldn't rule out him moving Weegar if it brought in a top six forward. Again, he's thinking now - not 8 years from now. Yes, moving him would look really bad on him, but he's more focused on getting them into the playoffs.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Pagnotta said he's "searching for ways to improve his team." I wouldn't rule out him moving Weegar if it brought in a top six forward. Again, he's thinking now - not 8 years from now. Yes, moving him would look really bad on him, but he's more focused on getting them into the playoffs.
It would be incredible if he was traded. Didn’t the extension take some time, what was that all about? Would be a super bad look for Calgary. Not realistic to me but you would know Calgary better than this Flyers fan.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
"Searching for ways to improve his team" is something any competent GM does all the time. The rest is just speculation.

For all we know, when the Sens asked if Weegar was available, Treliving responded with sure, if Batherson or DeBrincat are on the table. Sens refuse and that's the end of it.

Assuming that Treliving is going to do the stupidest thing possible is currently baseless. Now if Sutter was the GM, then yeah, obviously all bets are off. He'd probably gleefully trade Weegar for Zaitsev and Watson.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Really not interested in 8 years at 29 years old unless you pay for years 35, 36 and 37. So retain 19 million. Which, I'm sure the Flames don't want to do, so hopefully this rumour is dead before it's even officially born.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad