Rumor: David Pagnotta: "Weegar’s name floating around, and Sens have expressed interest"

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Speaking of denials, there’s a ton on this next subject.

I have strong reason to believe the Flames have considered moving defenceman Mackenzie Weegar. They’ve denied it, and it doesn’t sound like a trade is presently imminent. But multiple well-placed league sources have not only heard Weegar’s name floating around but have informed me the Ottawa Senators are a team that has expressed interest in acquiring him.

The Senators have been in the market for a top-four, right-shot defenceman, and Weegar checks a lot of boxes for them.

Weegar, 29, is from the Ottawa region and would surely welcome the opportunity to play in front of family and friends. His eight-year, $50 million contract extension kicks in July 1 and comes with a full no-trade clause for the first four years of that deal. My understanding is the Senators would be comfortable taking on that contract – especially if they can move out Nikita Zaitsev and his $4.5 million salary cap hit.

Senators GM Pierre Dorion is actively trying to move Zaitsev and as I reported on Friday, he seems willing to add a sweetener in the form of a second-round draft pick to the deal to convince a team to take on that contract. Might it cost more? The Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes and San Jose Sharks are three potential landing spots, but all three have blueliners they’d have to first move.

Shipping out Weegar, however, would mean the Flames have at least one more significant trade in the works. Would it strictly result in a replacement on the D corps, or is it a combination of that and adding more firepower up front?

This kind of sequence of events would be earthshattering. Treliving shook things up in the summer, so what’s stopping him from wanting to do it again now?

There are plenty of moving parts here, and I’m sure seeing Weegar alongside Thomas Chabot would be a dream pairing for Dorion and the Senators. But Treliving and the Flames need to weigh all their options before exploring this one.

Playing more consistent winning hockey would help management with their evaluation process. Easier said than done, Captain Obvious. But if things don’t improve on the ice, we could see some impactful changes off it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Weegar’s fancy charts are the epitome of Sutter hockey:

Weegs with Florida:

CAD92-D6-F-5-F48-441-F-824-D-312-F3-F5-F6694.jpg

Weegs with Calgary:

584-C7-FC8-08-EF-44-CF-AD5-C-BF1-CB20-F02-B5.jpg

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
With Chabot and Sanderson on the left side, I don't see Weegar as a great fit in Ottawa TBH. All of them are good but not great offensively. I'd rather someone defensively oriented, or someone who's "great" at moving the puck.

I'd go after Parayko over Weegar, personally.

Reactions: topshelf15

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
29 years old. Signed for 8 years AFTER this season. Just no.

If Ottawa is in the business of taking on an albatross, it should be Parayko. Signed for 1 less year, more proven and overall, a better player.

2023-2024

Tkachuk - Stützle - Greig
Debrincat - Norris - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson
Motte - Kastelic - Kelly

Chabot - Parayko
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Brännström

Forsberg
Sogaard/Mando​

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and ThaShow

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Wouldn't be all that surprised. Disappointing season, a coach well past his prime misusing players left and right - makes sense that not only would other organizations be checking to see if they find a steal, but that the Flames would be looking to do something pretty stupid. Especially with the rumors of Sutter wanting more of a say in shaping the roster.

On the surface, this does seem reminiscent of the initial Hamilton trade rumors. The name is floated out there, linked to one specific team at the time (Arizona then) followed by strong denials from Calgary's end. Then a couple of years later it turns out the Flames were shopping Hamilton almost immediately after acquiring him and the Coyotes then GM Chayka, being the unprofessional git that he was/is, went ahead and starting telling other GM's that Hamilton was available.

With Chabot and Sanderson on the left side, I don't see Weegar as a great fit in Ottawa TBH. All of them are good but not great offensively. I'd rather someone defensively oriented, or someone who's "great" at moving the puck.

I'd go after Parayko over Weegar, personally.
You've literally never watched Weegar play have you? He's a right shot that can play both sides and his best quality is his ability to move the puck up the ice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only hilarious thing is you actually thinking that's true

All we can talk about is what we see this season. Looks similar value to me but certainly not overperforming by a wide margin. The point is fair though... Weegar is overpaid! I wouldn't even trade Gallagher for him and his contract.

Weegar:
* 20:44 min/game
* 16 pts and 1 goal in 53 games
* 58% Corsi for with close to 50/50 zone starts
* 6.22 Hits/60
* 4.31 Blocks/60
* 2.78 Giveaways/60
* 1.20 Takeaways/60

Schenn:
* 17:06 min/game
* 18 pts with 3 goals in 53 games
* 41.5% Corsi for with 60/40 zone starts in favor of the D zone.
* 16.54 Hits/60
* 5.16 Blocks/60
* 1.72 Giveaways/60
* 0.46 Takeaways/60

Last edited:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
How? The graph clearly shows he's fantastic defensively in Sutter's system
His Goals for drastically dropped under Sutter. Sure his goals against is better, but the improvement there is destroyed by the reduction in production. In your above graph, show Weegar under Florida last season. Will probably show him as a much better defender overall.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
if they were trading him to the sens why would they do it now? calgary is trying to make the playoffs and the sens are clearly out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad