Rumor: David Pagnotta: "Weegar’s name floating around, and Sens have expressed interest"

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Weegar has been fantastic - offense has been non existent, but he’s so good.

He’d get 7x$6.5 no problem next summer.

If it means blowing the whole thing up, I’m so here for it.

Richards and Carter I believe were traded before their mega deals had taken effect with Philly

Kessel was dealt shortly after signing his extension with Toronto as well, from what I remember.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If the rumors are true (which I highly, highly doubt)......I'd love to see Buffalo outbid Ottawa for Weegar's services. We can afford the contract long-term, and then ditch it once Weegar declines too badly.

The thought of a top 4 of Samuelsson/Dahlin and Power/Weegar is mmmmmmph.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A little late to start a rebuild - especially after signing those boat anchor contracts and extensions in the offseason.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This guy is so overrated because of his quirky insta vids. I don't want any part of a trade for him. Every time I watch him he gets blown out some how and he handles the puck like a grenade.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can anyone remember a guy signing a long term extension and being traded within a calendar year?
Visnovsky I remember when traded to us didn't have his extension kick in yet. Can't remember if it was 5 or 6 years.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
disregarding the obvious daryl sutter factor… would flames fans be interested in a weegar+ for laine trade?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So it happens all the time...lol.

I am just trying to point out that guys don't sign long extensions and then get traded. It doesn't happen.
It does, it's just rare. Even if it happens once every 10, 15, 20, whatever years, it's going to happen again at some point.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This guy is so overrated because of his quirky insta vids. I don't want any part of a trade for him. Every time I watch him he gets blown out some how and he handles the puck like a grenade.

You think he's overrated because 18.2k people follow him on Instagram?
I bet almost no one on here even knows he has an account...

Reactions: I am not exposed

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You can never put anything past this organization but I call complete BS on this one.

Mackenzie Weegar is a stud. His ability to defend/interrupt transition and hold his blueline is arguably the best in the entire NHL. There is a reason he allows the fewest shots against per 60 among all defensemen in the NHL this season.

Additionally Weegar's xG% is currently the highest of his career. The team collectively has underperformed, no doubt, but he's not the culprit.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
if they were trading him to the sens why would they do it now? calgary is trying to make the playoffs and the sens are clearly out of it.
I wouldn’t say they are clearly out of it. 7 points out with 3 games in hand.
they have been on a little bit of a run so if they maintain they could most certainly get that eight spot.

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
He’s still a very good defencemen but for some reason Sutter neutered him offensively.
I love how everybody blames sutter on everybody’s decrease in production. For some reason the production was fine for everybody last year. Has anybody thought that maybe weeger and hubby are overvalued and I had career years in Florida last year like everybody else.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
disregarding the obvious daryl sutter factor… would flames fans be interested in a weegar+ for laine trade?
You have a winger I'd trade Weegar for, but not that one...

Pagnotta really is ridiculous these days. I put as much stock in this as Eklund. Weegar has been great in Calgary

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I think it'd be stupid for Calgary to move on from Weegar this early, but I I wonder if there's a possible 3 way here.

To Calgary:
Schenn
Boeser

To Ottawa:
Weegar

To Vancouver:
Zaitsev
Futures from Ottawa (cost of Weegar + dumping Zaitsev)
What in the actual F is this? Are you implying Schenn and Brock have similar value to Zaitsev lie wtf are futures ? They better be a couple of 1sts ffs.
Now I understand that on this site negativity and misinformation reign Supreme when it comes to the nucks (look at avsboy thread where Quinn is a train wreck while being a ppg minutes leader and +-- +11 leader which is better than Makars on a team 31st in GAA with some of the most putrid goaltending I've ever seen.)

This agenda that Brock who despite no camp and a setback once he returned has 35 points in 46 games a lot of that 5on5 with 3rd liners. He makes 6 million and has been a .7ppg 28 goal pace pretty much his entire career. People act like he's making 9 million with a .5ppg stat-line.
Someone please tell me what a 60 point 25 goal guy gets in today's NHL, if he's overpaid its not by a lot he's also just 25. Then there's Schenn league min, 18 points +8 and somehow those two return a truly bad contact and future considerations? Not even definite pieces just some ambiguous return.

The funniest thing is the only reason Brock would be moved is to gain cap or an actual hockey trade so something like an RHD that has similar value to a guy that consistently puts up 2nd line numbers with the caveat that if he kid gets a fully healthy season with a good playmaker centre, he's got enough skill to pop 40.

Lastly, he's played much better as of late under Tochett who's giving him an actual chance unlike Bruce and our GM just said that there's a very real scenario where Brock stays plus the trade idea was when Bruce hardly put him in a good spot and JR was still very much involved in things, he's not now.

I mean Brock and Schenn is what imo is just about fair for weegs straight up and that's giving him a mulligan on this season where he's got less points than Luke , not good look for a guy who got paid because he put up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad