Player Discussion David Krejci VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He has 1 point in the last 9 games, and hasn't looked great either. Should we be concerned?

I'm concerned. 2 points in his last 10, and a -7 in that time.

It would be one thing if it was just the points, because his wingers haven't been scoring a ton during that span either (DeBrusk has 0 points in 10 games), but Krejci seems to be getting knocked off the puck easily, and is spending more and more time in his own zone.

Last edited:

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I said it during the last off season and still believe they should have traded Krejci while his stock was / is high. There needs to be a watered down version of what they did in 2015 with moving serviceable players for a tempered rebuild. Aside from Studnicka, I am not convinced they have enough high end offensive talent in their prospect pool to be competitive in the conference in 2-3 years from now. (Wouldn't be saying this had we drafted the no brainers in a deep 2015 draft)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I said it during the last off season and still believe they should have traded Krejci while his stock was / is high. There needs to be a watered down version of what they did in 2015 with moving serviceable players for a tempered rebuild. Aside from Studnicka, I am not convinced they have enough high end offensive talent in their prospect pool to be competitive in the conference in 2-3 years from now. (Wouldn't be saying this had we drafted the no brainers in a deep 2015 draft)

hold your horses for a sec

Barzal is looking less impressive each time I see him close up (like last night).

Bruins still did well coming out with Debrusk, Carlo, Lauzon and Vladar

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Barzal is looking less impressive each time I see him close up (like last night).

Yeah everyone screams about not getting Barzal but frankly I'm not seeing it he seems to have tapered off as a player.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I’m thinking it’s not about prospects anymore that much . Yes that’s a big part. I really think it’s more about evaluations on trades and having cap space and depth. I’m seeing around the league teams are trading most of their good prospects besides a couple of untouchables for somewhat good or high end talent. If Krejci gets moved at the start of next season and Krug leaves that’s clears up big time space so they go in on Studnicka and go get a Big Fish on the F/A market or have enough space left over so they can do something at the deadline next year. Personally I ride DK out and wish him the best. I wouldn’t commit any more after next year and I don’t think the bruins will as well.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
10 games, 2 points, -7.

Is this one of Krejci's slumps, or are we starting to see signs of him slowing down?

In my opinion it's clearly him slowing down now, he isn't even shooting the puck with any regularity this season. 3 shots on goal total in his past 6 games and slightly over a shot/game this season total, there just isn't any way he's going to be able to sustain his production with that shot volume. He's actually been very lucky in that his shooting percentage is 17.3% which is around 5% higher than his career average, otherwise he'd have less than 10 goals right now.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
In my opinion it's clearly him slowing down now, he isn't even shooting the puck with any regularity this season. 3 shots on goal total in his past 6 games and slightly over a shot/game this season total, there just isn't any way he's going to be able to sustain his production with that shot volume. He's actually been very lucky in that his shooting percentage is 17.3% which is around 5% higher than his career average, otherwise he'd have less than 10 goals right now.

I am not ready to call it this just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised either if this turns out to be the case. He's had major hip injuries that required surgeries and various other ailments over his career. That stuff takes a toll and he is getting into that age zone where those things start to haunt you and healing rates slow down.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
10 games, 2 points, -7.

Is this one of Krejci's slumps, or are we starting to see signs of him slowing down?

I don't think it's a coincidence that his poor stretch mirrors DeBrusk's pointless streak of play.

If I were to point to something that suggests he's slowing down, it'd be that his GF% is widely outperforming his expected GF%.

I don't think anyone would have talked about him slowing down before these last 10 games. At that point, he had 39 points in 47 games and was on pace for 60 points in 73 games (20G/40A). Now, he's on pace for 53 points (17G/36A). That's 0.72 points per game, which is around where he's been 3 of the last 4 years.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Team is in 1st place, regular season winding down, Krejci admittedly goes through spurts of less than inspired play in regular season. I think (& hope) once the playoffs are here you’ll see him up his game. He & DeBrusk just DON’T have any chemistry. Hopefully he can develop some with Ritchie/ Bjork and Kase

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think it's a coincidence that his poor stretch mirrors DeBrusk's pointless streak of play.

If I were to point to something that suggests he's slowing down, it'd be that his GF% is widely outperforming his expected GF%.

I don't think anyone would have talked about him slowing down before these last 10 games. At that point, he had 39 points in 47 games and was on pace for 60 points in 73 games (20G/40A). Now, he's on pace for 53 points (17G/36A). That's 0.72 points per game, which is around where he's been 3 of the last 4 years.

I thought that too (the bolded), but he's been playing with Ritchie and Kase the last 3 games and Ritchie had a 2 point night. Krejci also saw some 1st unit PP time during that stretch, with Marchand moving to the net front position.

I don't know, it's not the points so much that concern me as much as his overall play. When was the last time you said, "nice play by Krejci." I used to say it ALL THE TIME, in all 3 zones. But during this run, he's looked out of position defensively, he's not controlling the flow of the breakout or neutral zone. He's not dancing through traffic or setting up point men for shots...

You mentioned his GF%. @Emerz mentioned his shots are way down, and that his shooting pct is unreasonably high... I'm hoping it's just a slump but man, those things make me nervous.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I thought that too (the bolded), but he's been playing with Ritchie and Kase the last 3 games and Ritchie had a 2 point night. Krejci also saw some 1st unit PP time during that stretch, with Marchand moving to the net front position.

I don't know, it's not the points so much that concern me as much as his overall play. When was the last time you said, "nice play by Krejci." I used to say it ALL THE TIME, in all 3 zones. But during this run, he's looked out of position defensively, he's not controlling the flow of the breakout or neutral zone. He's not dancing through traffic or setting up point men for shots...

You mentioned his GF%. @Emerz mentioned his shots are way down, and that his shooting pct is unreasonably high... I'm hoping it's just a slump but man, those things make me nervous.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely concerns, but this is a guy who's talked about how he gets tired of the regular season. His shots are down, but he's never been much of a volume shooter.

His play has frustrated the hell out of me, but I'm not ready to panic yet. Let's see how he looks in the playoffs. The division's still the focus, but we're 80% of the way through the season. Now's the time when you start getting your team set up for the playoffs.

Reactions: PlayMakers

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Krejci is the highest paid player on the team; he should be expected to generate offense, not rely on his linemates. Also, he really hasn't been a big game playoff performer since 2013.
His production doesn’t match his contract, that’s pretty obvious. But he’s a playmaking center, he needs better offensive talent to pass to then Kuhlman, B. Ritchie, Backes, etc.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
His production doesn’t match his contract, that’s pretty obvious. But he’s a playmaking center, he needs better offensive talent to pass to then Kuhlman, B. Ritchie, Backes, etc.

I can't disagree with this one bit. He is overpaid for his "production" (that word again!) but what is he supposed to do with wingers that either can't finish (Kuhlman, Heinen, Backes, Ritchie etc) or can but go ice cold for long stretches (JDB). Krejci isn't really a shooter and never has been. Someone has to do something with the passes and setups he makes and quite often they don't. I will say that he is paid like a line driver, and he isn't one. A line driver to me can take the goal scoring burden on themselves when needed and Krejci is not that guy so much. He requires decent finishers to be his best. Look how well he did filling in for Bergeron. Maybe Kase can be that guy.

Reactions: The National

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

They had to pay him so much because he had led the playoffs in scoring 2 out of 3 years, and had just come off a 69 point season. We know how much teams pay for playoff production.

He's a soon-to-be 34 year old. Like any long-term contract that takes a player into their mid-30s, you hope that he's underpaid for the first half, and not too overpaid for the second half. If he's overpaid, I don't think it's by much. His 82-game point pace is almost 60 points. That level player is getting at least $6 million, if not $7.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
i'm wondering if he will have any trade value come draft time.. let studnicka take the reigns even if it means coyle moves to #2, which i'm completely fine with

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
i'm wondering if he will have any trade value come draft time.. let studnicka take the reigns even if it means coyle moves to #2, which i'm completely fine with

Said last off season that his value would never be higher coming off the year he had, and that the time to move him (if they were ever going to) would have been then. I don't think they were open to it though, TBH. I also think that his value to this team is higher than his value to any potential trade partner, so the return wouldn't necessarily be worth it.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I think they're gonna let him play out his contract, honestly. And at this point, why not? Any trade involving him is not going to bring Boston back a ton of goods. Teams are going to point to his age and slowing down, etc.

I think I said it right a week or so ago; time IS catching up to him whether we like it or not. That said, he had some fantastic play last night with the puck on the powerplay; I forgot how much fun he is to watch when he's got space, faking out opposing players with his intentions. It's fun to see.

I do think he looks MUCH better playing with both Kase and Ritchie though.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I think that some teams would welcome Krejci on their roster. He could be used as the main piece to help Boston to recoup a first-round pick in the draft.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011

They passed on Barzal because of character concerns. fully support this. what about Connor? they went off the board and failed. they got lucky / are fortunate that Carlo and Lauzon have taken hold. otherwise 5 picks in the first 52 of a strong draft would have been a wipeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad