Player Discussion David Krejci V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Maybe the real question is if Krejci will want to stick around - he could be a first line center on half the teams in the league and play with 1st line wings and get paid on a longer term deal than Boston might be able to do.

I disagree

considering Krejci age, he may only have 2 years max of good years left in his tank. His play has regressed from last season.

Reactions: Mathews28

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Maybe the real question is if Krejci will want to stick around - he could be a first line center on half the teams in the league and play with 1st line wings and get paid on a longer term deal than Boston might be able to do.

Very possible.

Also, let's not pretend he's been a 2C his entire tenure here, because he was the 1C for years and years. It wasn't until Marchand and Bergeron's chemistry got so tight that Bergeron surpassed DK as the 1c.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If the Kase experiment doesn't work out and they falter in the playoffs, I think you'll hear more of deal Krejci while he has value. That's why I said this could be their last year of the cup window and it's too bad they didnt load up

agreed

But trade for who?

Kreider stayed put. NYR probably wanted too much, plus Kreider is an overpay (2 years extra)
Palmeri stayed put. Devils again wanted way too much for him

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What would your plan be with him? Play out his contract next season and re ink him? Play it out then let him walk? Deal him at the draft/summer to recoup some of the assets dealt last two deadlines?

Its a great question. I think a lot hinges on guys like Coyle and Studnicka, what kind of contract Krejci is looking for and what our cap situation looks like. I'm not opposed to bringing him back if it makes sense, but I also don't mind letting him walk. I only consider trading him next season if we're out of the playoff spot and the team isn't going to bring him back.

Now again I'm still understanding the advanced stats, but since last season Krejci ranks 13th in A/60 and 22nd in Primary Assist/60 among all centers w/ min of 1,000 mins. He's still very much an elite setup man, I just think the style of the guys they put on his wing don't fit his game.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
agreed

But trade for who?

Kreider stayed put. NYR probably wanted too much, plus Kreider is an overpay (2 years extra)
Palmeri stayed put. Devils again wanted way too much for him

With Krejci's free agency looming I don't think they'll move assets to get him a RW next year. They'll probably have to focus more getting a new C. If the plan is to resign Krejci beyond next year perhaps the conversation about getting Krejci a RW will go on a few more years. He's a FA though so who knows what happens.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
With Krejci's free agency looming I don't think they'll move assets to get him a RW next year. They'll probably have to focus more getting a new C. If the plan is to resign Krejci beyond next year perhaps the conversation about getting Krejci a RW will go on a few more years. He's a FA though so who knows what happens.

The UFA center class next year is pretty bland outside of RNH. The following year Bergy is a UFA as well and I'm sure that'll influence what Boston does. A few guys in the UFA class w/ Bergy though that peak my interest are Barkov (legit #1C and only 26yr old) and Zibanejad (P/GP player since last season) and he'll be 29yr old.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Remember the expansion draft is right around the corner. Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Coyle, Kuraly , Debrusk and/or Kase will be protected is my guess (7 forwards)

Trading Krejci for prospects/picks makes sense in this regard

Or out of respect, you just let him play out his contract/explore FA

Btw when you say getting a new C, do you mean via FA or trade? I don't think it will be necessary if Bergeron Coyle, Stud, Kuraly is the core C

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With the Bruins cap situation, unless they have a total flame-out in the playoffs (then all bets are off), you can now bring back the entire band (Krejci, Chara, Krug, etc.) and make one more run with this group.

I really don't care about "recouping assets" for David Krejci going into his age 34 season and then a UFA. Not when you have a core that is 2/3rds built around guys age 28 and over (Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, Rask, Krejci, Coyle, Krug). This team shouldn't be trading quality players for futures, which is all your getting for Krejci.

You can be sure at some point one of Bergeron/Krejci/Coyle will miss some time and Studnicka can get another chance to prove he belongs next year if he doesn't get it this year. I don't see any need to rush the process this off-season by trading Krejci for futures and handing the job to Studnicka. If Studnicka forces their hand next October by playing so well he cannot be denied a spot, they'll figure it out what to do with the roster, it's not that difficult.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
IMO it’s impossible at this point to predict what’s going to happen with Krejci at the end of this season because it’s dependent on some things that nobody knows, and some that no-one outside the Bruins’ FO know, being:

- The most obvious one, will Boston win the Cup this year? If somehow they do, the case for moving Krej on immediately afterwards becomes stronger. If not, there are very firm indications that management believe that the Bruins have at least one year left in their current Cup-contending window. So they will only trade Krej if they believe that what they’re left with, and/or what they can get in return or replacement, will keep them as a legit contender for 2020/21.

- Playoff form. The regular season has its ups and downs, but in the end for a veteran like Krej in a contending team like Boston it’s the POs that primarily count in assessing a player’s value and abilities. If he struggles this postseason, it becomes more attractive to move him on.

- Kase. If he and Krej form an effective pairing, especially in the POs, they’re more likely to be kept together for another season.

- Coyle. Does Sweeney see him as 2C potential? Personally I’m not convinced, but you can definitely make a case for it. Moving Krej on becomes a little easier if Coyle is a legit option to fill the breach.

- Studnicka. What’s the plan for him? It looks like he can eventually play 2C but that’s far from proven and it certainly won’t be next year. But he does almost certainly jump up to the NHL next season. Will that be as a winger, or, as I feel is more likely, as a 3rd or 4th line center? If it’s 3C then Coyle obviously has to move up, and Krej move elsewhere. If it’s one of the alternatives then you can probably play all 3 together for a year.

The answers to all of these will play a significant part in determining Krejci’s future. You can factor in expansion draft plans as well. Whatever happens, Boston are in a very good place with his contract. If they want to move him this summer they should get some interest, and even if all they get in return are picks or prospects then it’s still a short-term win as well as it frees up $7 mil. If he stays and sees out his current deal then I’m sure he’ll still be a strong contributor for at least the next 12 months, with Coyle in support and Stud hopefully learning his craft and proving his potential at NHL level. At that point, should it come to that, it’ll be much clearer what Boston’s long-term future is in the centers and they can act accordingly.

In the short-term I have a feeling that playing with Kase might rejuvenate Krej and bring him out of his mini-slump. Hopefully he sees Ondrej both as someone he can do good business with on the ice but also as something of a project as a younger fellow-Czech who he can help elevate to the next level in his game.

Reactions: bme44 and Alan Ryan

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I think he may be the guy that realizes when it is over and walk away, he accomplished a lot. Someone mentioned the possibility of signing him before the expansion draft, that will not even be a thought by management. Wait for most if not all of next year and see how things are going. I would not extend him after next year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Coyle’s our longest contracted forward at the moment. Don’t know how I feel about that, actually.

Why you think the younger guys would have agreed to longer deals at their cap hits? No way. Can’t extend Pasternak for over 2 years even if both sides wanted to.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Krejci- Bergeron is one of the best one two punches in the league. It’s damn sad that people don’t appreciate them especially Krejci.

Don't worry they will appreciate them when they are gone. They are so special to watch and Krecji especially has stood behind Bergeron and never complained once.

His # would be so much better but he plays behind Bergy and he's okay with it. It'll be sad the day they both hang them up.

Said this a million times. I want to see 33 37 and 46 hanging in the rafters.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Remember the expansion draft is right around the corner. Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Coyle, Kuraly , Debrusk and/or Kase will be protected is my guess (7 forwards)

Trading Krejci for prospects/picks makes sense in this regard

Or out of respect, you just let him play out his contract/explore FA

Btw when you say getting a new C, do you mean via FA or trade? I don't think it will be necessary if Bergeron Coyle, Stud, Kuraly is the core C

I don't think there's any chance that Kuraly is protected. He's going to be a UFA at the expansion draft, so you could just wait to try to re-sign him and not worry about him in the expansion draft.

In terms of protection list, Bergeron, Marchand, and Coyle have to be protected due to NMC. Then, I'd add Pastrnak and DeBrusk as guarantees. Leaves two spots, where you probably have Kase, Bjork, Ritchie, and maybe even Frederic, depending on his development, fighting for the last spots. That doesn't even consider the fact that they could let Krug go and sign a free agent forward instead.

Reactions: HustleB

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't think there's any chance that Kuraly is protected. He's going to be a UFA at the expansion draft, so you could just wait to try to re-sign him and not worry about him in the expansion draft.

In terms of protection list, Bergeron, Marchand, and Coyle have to be protected due to NMC. Then, I'd add Pastrnak and DeBrusk as guarantees. Leaves two spots, where you probably have Kase, Bjork, Ritchie, and maybe even Frederic, depending on his development, fighting for the last spots. That doesn't even consider the fact that they could let Krug go and sign a free agent forward instead.

If you dont protect Kuraly, he will be chosen by Seattle

Bruins cant lose him. He is young and key part of the team future

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

They aren't protecting a 4th line forward about to be an UFA in a week after the expansion draft. And he's not that young, he'll be 28 going on 29 when the expansion draft rolls around.

Even if Kuraly was who Seattle picked, that is a win for the Bruins, which means they passed over a whole bunch of better, younger, and/or more valuable players. And I'm not knocking Kuraly who I generally like, but that is just the reality. Think about the skaters Boston has to potentially consider protecting

Marchand
Bergeron
Pastrnak
Debrusk
Coyle
Bjork
Kase
N.Ritchie
Kuhlman
Frederic

Krug
Carlo
McAvoy
Gryz
Lauzon
Clifton

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

@BruinDust is absolutely right. Kuraly isn't getting selected as a UFA to-be unless the Bruins are paying Seattle to select him. I like the guy, but he's a 4th line forward.

As for being young, he might be young in the real world, but 27 is middle of the pack in the NHL.

Reactions: BruinDust

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Don't worry they will appreciate them when they are gone. They are so special to watch and Krecji especially has stood behind Bergeron and never complained once.

His # would be so much better but he plays behind Bergy and he's okay with it. It'll be sad the day they both hang them up.

Said this a million times. I want to see 33 37 and 46 hanging in the rafters.
It’s not that we fans don’t appreciate him, as much as it is the case that Bruins management doesn’t seem to. He’s just not been provided with wingers commensurate with his abilities. Management did not acquire what he needed for him at this years deadline. Again. They’ve decided to not fish, but cut bait. Are we just to sit there and cheer about that? It’s got little to do with DK, who I like. It’s much more an indictment of management.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I know it's always a business, but next year will be his 15th playing for the Bruins. Just like with Chara, I think you let him decide his own fate...... to an extent. If he wants to take it year-to-year and understands it might not be as lucrative as chasing a final contract. That's a win for everybody.

If he wants 2 or 3 years of security. That's an easy call.

If he's as indifferent about the regular season as many seem to think, maybe you come to an agreement on a "load management" situation at a discounted rate? Reduced games, back to back etc. Probably a little bit out there, but you need to be creative to ice the best possible roster come April/June.

I think Krejci/Coyle make a good 2/3 combination. I prefer Coyle's game 5 on 5 however. I think he's been the better 5 on 5 ES center for the past year of so since he's been here.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Krejci at times seems to disappear during the regular season. Not so much that he doesn't have an impact upon the games, because he just goes out and does his thing chipping in with a goal here an assist there, but because we all know that when he needs to he can take his game up to another level. We have seen this when the games really matter in the playoffs.
The Bruins are well established as a playoff team, and while it would be nice to win the president's trophy, doing so may mean tougher competition in the first round then finishing second in the division (just saying). And while having home ice in the playoffs one would think would be an advantage, it hasn't always worked out that way as this team sometimes seems to play better on the road. All that to say, these games this time of year with the team so established as a playoffs team are a matter of just finishing up the schedule, staying healthy, and working on different aspects to get ready for the playoffs ... essentially to say the games don't holding a lot of meaning or urgency at the moment.
It might be prudent more so to evaluate Krejci's game based upon games in these upcoming playoffs - where the games really matter and the intensity and urgency are greatly increased. If he plays disinterested and inconsistent then it may be time to talk about moving on from him; but if he raises his game to another level it will be real hard to find someone to replace him with.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
It’s not that we fans don’t appreciate him, as much as it is the case that Bruins management doesn’t seem to. He’s just not been provided with wingers commensurate with his abilities. Management did not acquire what he needed for him at this years deadline. Again. They’ve decided to not fish, but cut bait. Are we just to sit there and cheer about that? It’s got little to do with DK, who I like. It’s much more an indictment of management.

I agree with you that management has let Krecji down these last couple years and have even let fans down in some regards.

It's hard to complain with a SCF last year and a first place team this year but I think our core hides a lot of our past mistkes. They are that good.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad