Confirmed with Link: David Jones to the Wild for Niklas Backstrom and a 6th round pick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interesting detail mentioned by Jim Hughson (or was it Scott Oake?) on the broadcast tonight. This trade was only possible because Backstrom waived, which he only did because the Flames promised him two starts.
Which is a complete joke on the Flames part when they are only getting a 6th and not even saving a penny in salary

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Interesting detail mentioned by Jim Hughson (or was it Scott Oake?) on the broadcast tonight. This trade was only possible because Backstrom waived, which he only did because the Flames promised him two starts.

Good for BT. Get assets for a spare part; by promising a goalie who's no better or worse than any of your other ones can actually play a game :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
6th round pick to help the tank is AOK tho!

6th round pick doesn't help anything this season, but neither does a disgruntled, bitter David Jones. Let's not forget that factor. Hard to see the Flames trying this hard to get rid of a guy (given management's philosophy in the past) unless they wanted him gone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
6th round pick doesn't help anything this season, but neither does a disgruntled, bitter David Jones. Let's not forget that factor. Hard to see the Flames trying this hard to get rid of a guy (given management's philosophy in the past) unless they wanted him gone.
you are basing alot on a player being happy to be apart of a playoff race, that argument is as flimsy as the one where Hiller is a bad teammate because of his interviews.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think the main thing on trading Jones was to open up roster spots for some late season call ups. I'm ok with it if that's the case

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It was worth it for the 6th round pick alone. Add in the freed up roster spot so someone like Hathaway gets a chance plus the possible mentoring factor that Backstrom provides for Ortio and it's an absolutely terrific deal.

Unless of course, Backstrom plays too well and ruins the Flames lottery odds.

Go go Tank Commander Hiller

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I was shocked he had any value, even at 584k (cap space). Use the roster spot for a prospect worthy of a callup and it proabably would've made no tangible difference.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Hi!

I followed your cup run in 2004. Mostly because I was a huge Kipper fan. All those games, C of red, bitter end result. It was a great spring and a sad summer. Lots of feelings.

When Backs came and took the starter position from Fernandez, I was sold. What a late bloomer. He had a rough road too earlier, but in the NA took the job immediately. Kind of opposite to Kipper. Kipper had to wait his turn in the NHL, while he was highly regarded in Europe.

What I'm saying, I'm sorry that he isn't the 4th coming of Kipper anymore.. :D But I thank Flames, because they give him a chance to play his last games in the NHL. And even start one more game at the Xcel. That is a classy thing to do.

And hope that some day you guys and gals have a proper playoff team again.

Cheers.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hi!

I followed your cup run in 2004. Mostly because I was a huge Kipper fan. All those games, C of red, bitter end result. It was a great spring and a sad summer. Lots of feelings.

When Backs came and took the starter position from Fernandez, I was sold. What a late bloomer. He had a rough road too earlier, but in the NA took the job immediately. Kind of opposite to Kipper. Kipper had to wait his turn in the NHL, while he was highly regarded in Europe.

What I'm saying, I'm sorry that he isn't the 4th coming of Kipper anymore.. :D But I thank Flames, because they give him a chance to play his last games in the NHL. And even start one more game at the Xcel. That is a classy thing to do.

And hope that some day you guys and gals have a proper playoff team again.

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words.

I hope he scores an empty net goal on Thursday. :naughty:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Tank Commander should start every game aside from the Minnesota ones, which Backstrom can start and Ortio can backup.

They've ensured Ortio's will be a RFA for next season and it looks like he's a safe bet to return as the backup for next season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tank Commander should start every game aside from the Minnesota ones, which Backstrom can start and Ortio can backup.

They've ensured Ortio's will be a RFA for next season and it looks like he's a safe bet to return as the backup for next season.

The good 'ol Tank Commander Jonas Hiller. Always knees below the competition; amirite?!

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
W75, have you heard any info as to what his plans for next season are?

No, I don't have any real information. Think he's said somewhere some day that Europe is a possibility. Just huessing here, but would benhard to see him in the KHL. Suppose he would prefer Finland or Sweden, maybe central Europe?

Bäckström is a partial owner of his hometown team HIFK, so we'll see.

I have a feeling he wants to play a year or two still. But like I sais, it's all just guessing.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
We really need Tank Commander Hiller to come through... I would be more than happy to pick top 5. Ideally I would like top 3 but the way we have been playing thats a stretch...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad