Confirmed with Link: David Jones to the Wild for Niklas Backstrom and a 6th round pick

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
wow. we got something for Jones? :laugh:
I mean I don't mind taking on Nik Backstrom for the remainder of the year. hopefully he can teach Ortio a couple things, because when he was on, he was a top 6/7 goalie in the league.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
if he can prove that he still has it, could be a good mentor backup for someone like Ortio or Poulin or who ever they bring in.

please bring in someone

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I'm glad the Flames got rid of Jones and his contract. I wouldn't mind having Jones at $2M a year with the way he was producing but at his current contract no thanks. Good luck to him in Minnesota. I just don't see Backstrom staying a Flame past the season. It will be interesting though to watch him play in the games he gets here for the remainder of the season. See what kind of show he puts on.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm glad the Flames got rid of Jones and his contract. I wouldn't mind having Jones at $2M a year with the way he was producing but at his current contract no thanks. Good luck to him in Minnesota. I just don't see Backstrom staying a Flame past the season. It will be interesting though to watch him play in the games he gets here for the remainder of the season. See what kind of show he puts on.

Jones is a UFA, though, so it didn't really matter if he stayed here the rest of the season; doesn't hurt us going forward. I guess an extra shot at the dart-board is nice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No probably about it - the Wild couldn't make the trade without sending Calgary salary back.

Fun fact: the Flames have over $12 million tied up in goalies right now.

More fun fact: the Flames have over $12 million worth of goaltenders coming off the books at the end of the year.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I wonder when he'll get into a game. I'm betting his agreement on waiving his NMC was that we give him a couple starts. Do we play Minny soon? If we do that's prob the game he wants most

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not a fan of this trade. Moving Jones for a 6th was meh value to begin with. Taking on Backstrom as a cap dump is even worse. Should have got a better pick coming back.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Flames have 3 Finnish goalies now. Rämö is injured of course but still must be some kind of record.

Similar to this, the top three centers for Wild are (or were at least last season) Koivu, Granlund, and Haula.

Aug 21, 2014
I wonder when he'll get into a game. I'm betting his agreement on waiving his NMC was that we give him a couple starts. Do we play Minny soon? If we do that's prob the game he wants most

We play Minnesota in April (last game of the season.)

20 games left in the season I say give Ortio 12-15 starts and the other 5-8 to Backstrom :naughty:

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
We play Minnesota in April (last game of the season.)

20 games left in the season I say give Ortio 12-15 starts and the other 5-8 to Backstrom :naughty:

The minny board worried that the last game of season, win and ploffs, but Backstrom stones them

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
No, that's Montreal.

e1pmi.gif

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Finnish media said that Niklas Bäckström could play tomorrow against the Canadiens, is there any truth to that rumour? It'd be great to see former goalie of my favourite team to have successful return to NHL after hardy times. Even though it would be opposing to you hoping for a good tank :)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Finnish media said that Niklas Bäckström could play tomorrow against the Canadiens, is there any truth to that rumour? It'd be great to see former goalie of my favourite team to have successful return to NHL after hardy times. Even though it would be opposing to you hoping for a good tank :)

He is scheduled to play against Montreal and Minnesota

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Interesting detail mentioned by Jim Hughson (or was it Scott Oake?) on the broadcast tonight. This trade was only possible because Backstrom waived, which he only did because the Flames promised him two starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad