Player Discussion David Desharnais - The IR Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He'll probably end up on the 3rd, which I can live with. Problem is Mt is going to promote him to the first for no reason.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
they need forwards who can handle a puck. Dd can handle a puck - it's the only thing he can do.

Ah, forgot about strome, nevermind.

As for patches - i have never been so unsure of a captain. He's arguably a bottom5 captain in terms of confidence or leadership:

Getzlaf, doan, chara, gionta, giordano, toews, zetterberg, weber, tavares, mcdonagh, giroux, crosby, pavelski, sedin, and ovechkin are obviously better, more experienced, more determined, less inconsistent captains.

Then there is landeskog, foligno, benn, brown, koivu, greene, mitchell, and karlsson who have a wart of some sort but are either just young, new or under-skilled.

Traded or ufa captains: Phaneuf, ladd, backes, stamkos, and staal.

I'd argue the (perceived) bottom5 captains in the league are pacioretty, koivu, gionta, mitchell and greene. Brown having been replaced by kopitar this off-season.

What is it about patches that makes him such a weiner?

He graciously eats the poop that's being served to him.

Mad Brills*

Thing is - this organization thinks the following:

1) DD is a top6 player
2) This team lacks top6 players

No reason to get rid of DD, who was just merely inconvenienced this year and will get back to his 60 point self in no time!

trade him before he starts off hot on pace for a 45 point season and bargainbin signs him long term.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
trade him before he starts off hot on pace for a 45 point season and bargainbin signs him long term.

Can't trade him because he's a crap NHLer and no team wants him
So instead MB&MT will again structure the Montreal Canadiens around him.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
DD's current value is probably just slightly less than what Ganger's was last summer.

Gagner Traded from Arizona Coyotes with round 4 pick in the 2016 draft (Otto Koivula) to Philadelphia Flyers for Nicklas Grossmann and Chris Pronger

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

He graciously eats the poop that's being served to him.

...what a moronic thing for the captain of a team, let alone the captain of the most storied franchise in the NHL, to say...it's almost as if Therrien's hand is moving Pacioretty's mouth...:shakehead
Yup, it was that pathetic quote that really put me over the edge. I figure he meant to say that we're not going to play possession hockey and misspoke but still - that, plus how horrible he was playing during the huge collapse, his apparently non-existant leadership, questionable playoff performances, fracture with PK, love story with DD, inconsistent and moody stretches, and his utter lack of physicality ... I really don't trust him as a captain or a leader - but I'm not in the room, so whatever.

If he kicks up a fuss because his foxhole buddy is moved, then the team is in dire straits.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I think Desharnais as a 3rd line offensive center could potentially work next season.

I don't have the confidence that Montreal will have the necessary wingers to make a 3 line offense work though and playing Desharnais as a depth center keeps the Galchenyuk line from playing the pure offense role he should be cutting his teeth with next season.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Yup, it was that pathetic quote that really put me over the edge. I figure he meant to say that we're not going to play possession hockey and misspoke but still - that, plus how horrible he was playing during the huge collapse, his apparently non-existant leadership, questionable playoff performances, fracture with PK, love story with DD, inconsistent and moody stretches, and his utter lack of physicality ... I really don't trust him as a captain or a leader - but I'm not in the room, so whatever.

If he kicks up a fuss because his foxhole buddy is moved, then the team is in dire straits.

I hope that he was injured last season or had some sort of excuse for his atrocious play in the 2nd half of the season, especially.

The captain - no matter the current form of the team, should always be putting forth an effort on a consistent enough basis. Pacioretty? He dogged the season, turtled up in a ball and laid there pathetically in the fetal position while the team went up in flames. Same goes for Pleks, pitiful, nonchalant and passive behaviour from our two highest paid forwards who are supposed to be leaders.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I hope that he was injured last season or had some sort of excuse for his atrocious play in the 2nd half of the season, especially.

The captain - no matter the current form of the team, should always be putting forth an effort on a consistent enough basis. Pacioretty? He dogged the season, turtled up in a ball and laid there pathetically inthe fetal position while the team went up in flames. Same goes for Pleks, pitiful, nonchalant and passive behaviour from our two highest paid forwards who are supposed to be leaders.
It makes their early-season mockery and smirking and smugness all the more pathetic. Remember how turtleplek was grinning while saying they proved to the critics, that the team wasn't all Price?

Man, if only BargainBin hadn't extended that foxehole buddy and we could've sold him off at the deadline. You can never win with a guy like Pleks - allergic to contact, insular, moody, underskilled, tunnel vision and far too dirty to protect himself.

Patches had the worst plus minus by something like -10 past the second worst during the big drop. He was neither scoring nor playing defense nor leading the team. Undeserving of the C.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
It makes their early-season mockery and smirking and smugness all the more pathetic. Remember how turtleplek was grinning while saying they proved to the critics, that the team wasn't all Price?

Man, if only BargainBin hadn't extended that foxehole buddy and we could've sold him off at the deadline. You can never win with a guy like Pleks - allergic to contact, insular, moody, underskilled, tunnel vision and far too dirty to protect himself.

Patches had the worst plus minus by something like -10 past the second worst during the big drop. He was neither scoring nor playing defense nor leading the team. Undeserving of the C.

They were our very own trash brothers last season.

Like you said, they went from having that smug, holier than thou attitude all throughout the beginning of the season. To being a pair of sulking, company men that were looking at the calendar relentlessly, counting down the remaining days until the offseason. While on the ice they resembled a couple of spineless bums who couldn't bare putting in an effort, while the kids, callups and borderline NHL players worked their ***** off.

These are our leaders?

Mad Brills*

The memes will end?

CiB7DM0WMAAVBJR.jpg

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Thing is - this organization thinks the following:

1) DD is a top6 player
2) This team lacks top6 players

No reason to get rid of DD, who was just merely inconvenienced this year and will get back to his 60 point self in no time!

If thats the case then why has MB been trying to move DD for the past year? Why has he lost his spot alongside Max 3 times in the past 2 years?

Or is this the same thing like PK was for sure being shopped and traded by MB and his name being dragged through the mud?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If thats the case then why has MB been trying to move DD for the past year? Why has he lost his spot alongside Max 3 times in the past 2 years?

Or is this the same thing like PK was for sure being shopped and traded by MB and his name being dragged through the mud?

Or Bouillon being part of the coaching staff....oops, it was Muller :shakehead

We're signing Bartley and Brown, it's a done deal......:shakehead

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
3 goals in 38 playoff games........Shaw had 4 in 6 games last playoff alone.......I don't think so. You're comparing wieners to steak here

Well we got 2 for Eller who was apparently worthless. Hard to believe eller belonged on the third line while dd got prime time on the first.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I think Desharnais as a 3rd line offensive center could potentially work next season.

I don't have the confidence that Montreal will have the necessary wingers to make a 3 line offense work though and playing Desharnais as a depth center keeps the Galchenyuk line from playing the pure offense role he should be cutting his teeth with next season.

If we sign Eriksson we could probably make a go for it. That would leave Shaw as our 3rd line right winger, or even someone like Gallagher if Shaw shows great chemistry in the top 6 and we want to spread the offence around a little.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Couldn't manage to pull something off like that with PAP, I doubt it could be done with Desharnais either.

I doubt Bergevin seriously tried moving Parenteau. Besides, Desharnais is better than Parenteau anyways. I have a feeling that Bergevin is for some reason unwilling to retain salary in a trade and would rather buy out the final year of a deal instead, which is enormously stupid. There's no excuse for paying a player for multiple seasons just not to play for you. You can trade almost anybody.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There is no way we are a better team by trading Eller and keeping DD. Desharnais does not even take own zone face-offs, no pk ability, does not hit, does not produce on the pp, he is a liability in every sense of the word. He is going to be gifted a spot back on this team and has flown completely under the radar while guys like PK Subban and Eller have been constantly thrown under the bus by the media and our coach. The politics that has become the Montreal Canadiens is nauseating and yet we hope that big name UFA players would choose us as a destination, at this notion I have a great big :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I doubt Bergevin seriously tried moving Parenteau. Besides, Desharnais is better than Parenteau anyways. I have a feeling that Bergevin is for some reason unwilling to retain salary in a trade and would rather buy out the final year of a deal instead, which is enormously stupid. There's no excuse for paying a player for multiple seasons just not to play for you. You can trade almost anybody.

I'm pretty sure Bergevin tried to move PAP before being forced to buy him out. Why wouldn't he try?

DD has similar statistics to PAP, as well as they are close in age and cap hit. If DD has more value than PAP it's not significantly enough so, that Bergevin manages to find a trading partner willing to take him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad