Player Discussion David Desharnais - The Go-To Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
For those 3 years and might as well add the year before the lockout DD was a 50-55 pt player which puts him in most years right around the 30th scoring C. Thats basically 1b/2nd line production. His ice is also usually about 17 or so minutes. Most top 1 C have 19 or 20 mins a game. Also don't forget DD's job has always been to set up Max and Max had 37+39 playing with DD.

Its not fair to discount his points, he scored them. If you could take any stiff and turn them into a top 30 C by just playing them tons of minutes it would happen with every player.

Now we can't deny that DD has been regressing and looks like he is on his last legs. Last year a bad year for him and not so good this outside of his hot start. I have a feeling his time is coming.

I don't care about his production to be honest. He's a limited player that shouldn't play the role we gave him. In the NHL it's not all about production. His production were inflated, yeah he scored them, good for him, he good amount of money out of it but he can't and should not play that role. He's a limited player that the coach put in a position to make him relevant. His stats got inflated but he never made the team better. His production would have been easily matched with any other decent center that plays quality offensive minutes and with a 30 goals scorer.

I know you still believe his extension was a good decision or that you understand the logic behind it but it was useless/stupid and a waste of money and development time for Galchenyuk.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I've been questionning the bashing about Desharnais over the past weeks, but I'm honnest enough to admit that over the past two weeks, he didn't play at the level of my expectations.

He is not contributing in the faceoff spot (althought none of our centerman is except Mitchell), not contributing offensively, and worst: is creating scoring opportunities to the opponent. Hopefully, he'll fix his game fast and show he can provide to this team an aspect other players can't. Because right now, he's on his way out big time.

I expect Bergevin to trade for a top centerman prior to the deadline and allow Plekanec to play on a third line. Martin Hanzal, if healthy, would be a perfect fit. A R-handed big centerman would even be better... but I don't know who that guy could be.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I've been questionning the bashing about Desharnais over the past weeks, but I'm honnest enough to admit that over the past two weeks, he didn't play at the level of my expectations.

He is not contributing in the faceoff spot (althought none of our centerman is except Mitchell), not contributing offensively, and worst: is creating scoring opportunities to the opponent. Hopefully, he'll fix his game fast and show he can provide to this team an aspect other players can't. Because right now, he's on his way out big time.

I expect Bergevin to trade for a top centerman prior to the deadline and allow Plekanec to play on a third line. Martin Hanzal, if healthy, would be a perfect fit. A R-handed big centerman would even be better... but I don't know who that guy could be.
uhmm. look no further than our very own McCarron. Done and done.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
His points were given, forced even. When pint-sized asswipe had rough patch few years ago (1 point in first 19 games) Michel Theresa offered Max and Gallagher to restore his mighty 40 point form.
It seems for the past 4-5 seasons, each year, it's how do we get Davey going, more than about winning, obviously it's not, but MT is such a clown, that lines that work, have been torn down, to get dat liddle guy going...

He's gotten worse, and is now waiver fodder...just do it!!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It seems for the past 4-5 seasons, each year, it's how do we get Davey going, more than about winning, obviously it's not, but MT is such a clown, that lines that work, have been torn down, to get dat liddle guy going...

He's gotten worse, and is now waiver fodder...just do it!!

How has this year been about getting DD going? MAx was put with DD to get Max going not the other way around. DD was actually doing pretty good before he was "promoted" to the 1st line. Since then he has put up goose eggs. Before that he had 4 points in like 6 games. 4 pts in 6 games for a 3rd liner is decent prodcution.

I just don't understand why people have to build this myth around DD to criticisze him. He is an "asswipe" or "midget" or "favoured" or everything is about getting him going or he is the coache's love child.

Just say you don't like his play and thats it. Even those that defend him can admit an upgrade is needed and he has been on a regression for the past year. There is no need to create propaganda and lies just to get people on your side. If your point is valid then people should agree with you based on its merits.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
How has this year been about getting DD going? MAx was put with DD to get Max going not the other way around. DD was actually doing pretty good before he was "promoted" to the 1st line. Since then he has put up goose eggs. Before that he had 4 points in like 6 games. 4 pts in 6 games for a 3rd liner is decent prodcution.

And that will always be the problem. DD can show some good flashes while on the third line KEEP HIM THERE. As soon as you pair him up with Patches and he gets thougher assignements, everything goes South. How's that hard to understand?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And that will always be the problem. DD can show some good flashes while on the third line KEEP HIM THERE. As soon as you pair him up with Patches and he gets thougher assignements, everything goes South. How's that hard to understand?

Dont disagree with that. It did work for 2 games though because Max was actually engaged. Max got that GWG on the 2nd game. But IMHO Max fell back into his bad habits and of course the line fell apart. DD is not a 1st/2nd liner anymore. If MT puts him with Max, Max has to score because DD is just there to feed him the puck. But Max seems to like to take shots from the permiter now that miss the net. Even on breakaways he can't wait to just it from 30 ft out.

At least DD was "promoted" back to the 3rd line and away from Max for now. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get a few points if he goes back with Carr/Shaw/Ghetto.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Dont disagree with that. It did work for 2 games though because Max was actually engaged. Max got that GWG on the 2nd game. But IMHO Max fell back into his bad habits and of course the line fell apart. DD is not a 1st/2nd liner anymore. If MT puts him with Max, Max has to score because DD is just there to feed him the puck. But Max seems to like to take shots from the permiter now that miss the net. Even on breakaways he can't wait to just it from 30 ft out.

At least DD was "promoted" back to the 3rd line and away from Max for now. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get a few points if he goes back with Carr/Shaw/Ghetto.

no worries, is Ghetto play and does well, he'll get his promotion to the DD line, with the opportunities that comes with it.

ALl DD has to do is act like he's trying hard, Daddy MT will fall for it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I just don't understand why people have to build this myth around DD to criticisze him. He is an "asswipe" or "midget" or "favoured" or everything is about getting him going or he is the coache's love child.

Just say you don't like his play and thats it. Even those that defend him can admit an upgrade is needed and he has been on a regression for the past year. There is no need to create propaganda and lies just to get people on your side. If your point is valid then people should agree with you based on its merits.
This is year 5, it's beyond getting old...

Recently, MT himself said, DD was being used purely for offensive type minutes, while Pleks was being used a shutdown type of guy...the clown coach has made a point of trying to get DD going, don't kid yourself!!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This is year 5, it's beyond getting old...

Recently, MT himself said, DD was being used purely for offensive type minutes, while Pleks was being used a shutdown type of guy...the clown coach has made a point of trying to get DD going, don't kid yourself!!

Playing him 10 minutes a game the last 2 games really must of been getting DD going LOL.

DD is one step away from the press box I think you can breath easy now. We got passed the "DD is 1st liner" now phase when he was paired with Max and saw his Ice increase to 2nd line levels for 2 whole games.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
All MT is waiting is 1 goal from DD and his good to go for another 10 games of prenium ice time with Pacioretty.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Second least used player on the team. Only Carr played less but only 40 seconds less.

No time on the PP. No time on the PK. No points.

But that hustle by Carr and pas to DD was a sweet play. DD even fired off a sharp one. It was just off by a bit. Aside from that, zeros across the board except he had 1 takeaway. So that justifies everything! :sarcasm:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
No points now for DD in his last 9 games. So he's now an undersized 3rd line center who can't score, can't play a defensive shutdown role, can't win a puck battle, can't play on the PK, awful on the PP.

So what use is this guy to this Habs team again? I don't like to pile on but MB really needs to upgrade DD's spot and somehow finally cut ties with this guy. It's way past time at this point. :nod:

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
He said player. Not sure Traverse was an hockey player ;)

Patrick Traverse
Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 14 1974 -- Montreal, PQ
[42 yrs. ago]
Height 6.04 -- Weight 207 [193 cm/94 kg]

2000-01 Montreal Canadiens NHL 19 2 3 5 10 -8 -- -- -- -- --
2001-02 Montreal Canadiens NHL 25 2 3 5 14 -7

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
No points now for DD in his last 9 games. So he's now an undersized 3rd line center who can't score, can't play a defensive shutdown role, can't win a puck battle, can't play on the PK, awful on the PP.

So what use is this guy to this Habs team again? I don't like to pile on but MB really needs to upgrade DD's spot and somehow finally cut ties with this guy. It's way past time at this point. :nod:

no no NO
he's a do-no-wrong underdog

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yep, according to La Presse, he's not playing next game.
Danault taking his place (he deserve a shot)

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
So much about the foxhole when it was, and so obviously, just about sheltering a young Galchenyuk.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Carr played so well yesterday, he was hungry. Sending him back was good, now he's more aware he still have to fight for a spot and he might have to do his whole career because he's limited talent, he's not gonna make it if he's not outworking opponents everys shift and yesterday he did just that

He's making Desharnais expendable so is Danault great work so far. I hope DD is gone after Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad