David Desharnais - Should I Stay or Should I Go Edition. (MOD WARNING #757)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Desharnais should remain a habs.

Galchenyuk will play 1C when he is ready DD or no DD.

Desharnais, 50 points player on a 3.5M contract are decent, even tho he is not a 1C he is still a solid middle 6 player.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Desharnais, 50 points player on a 3.5M contract are decent, even tho he is not a 1C he is still a solid middle 6 player.

Yes but he and Galchenyuk should compete for that spot and if Galchenyuk wins its great news. Not because DD is a bad player but because Galchenyuk would prove to be a better one!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

This is the most annoying argument of all

"Galchenyuk will play 1c when he's ready!"

He is ready. He proved it when he got his chance. It didn't matter.

Galchenyuk will only play 1C when DD is gone or MT is gone. It has 0 to do with his merit as a center.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Galchenyuk will play 1C when they'll decide to give him enough latitude to make the mistakes he needs to make to improve and keep the role. However, I'm not convinced he'll have enough rope to hold the job with Therrien's shuffling ways and continued use and/or perception of DD as a top line asset.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

DD is not a solid top 2 center. Jesus Christ, raise your damn standards.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's been used on the third line as often as Galchenyuk has been used on the first. Yes, he has been used in that role.

Euh no, and when used on the 3rd line it was for an exploitation role and still got PP time, even as a rookie. Eller is used on the 3rd line. He's used as a checking line center used entirely different than how DD was.
DD is an exploitation center, a decent one.

Nothing about his game is "solid". Let's not be ridiculous here.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Euh no, and when used on the 3rd line it was for an exploitation role and still got PP time, even as a rookie. Eller is used on the 3rd line. He's used as a checking line center used entirely different than how DD was.

I never said anything about Eller, or Desharnais being solid. I'm just telling you that Desharnais has been used on the third line on multiple occasions.

On the topic of Eller, I'd rather Eller play the brunt of defensive minutes while Desharnais got the offensive minutes, if I was forced to delegate responsibilities to both players with those extremes.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I never said anything about Eller, or Desharnais being solid. I'm just telling you that Desharnais has been used on the third line on multiple occasions.

On the topic of Eller, I'd rather Eller play the brunt of defensive minutes while Desharnais got the offensive minutes, if I was forced to delegate responsibilities to both players with those extremes.
Point was to show two players who played on the 3rd line with two completely different roles.
So saying he's a solid middle 6 doesn't mean jack crap.

And yes, everyone will prefer Eller get the defensive duties if those two are the only options. DD can't play a defensive role, so by default, you resort to that decision.

Reality is we do have different options. So using them as such makes no sense.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Point was to show two players who played on the 3rd line with two completely different roles.
So saying he's a solid middle 6 doesn't mean jack crap.

And yes, everyone will prefer Eller get the defensive duties if those two are the only options. DD can't play a defensive role, so by default, you resort to that decision.

Reality is we do have different options. So using them as such makes no sense.

I don't like Desharnais as our top center but how exactly has he proven that he CAN'T be a good middle six player? I seem to remember him playing very well during his stint on the third line this past season.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I'm not sure what difference this makes. DD played on 2nd and 3rd lines as a center and did well.

Not the same use as Eller but that doesn't mean it's not a 3rd line does it?

Nynja*

I'm not sure what difference this makes. DD played on 2nd and 3rd lines as a center and did well.

Do I really have to explain why this is a big ****ing deal, and not just a little mundane insignificant piece of information? Are you really going to expect me to explain why being used in a defensive role is vastly different from being used in an exploitation role?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Do I really have to explain why this is a big ****ing deal, and not just a little mundane insignificant piece of information? Are you really going to expect me to explain why being used in a defensive role is vastly different from being used in an exploitation role?

Considering no one even brought up Eller until Kriss, you might have to explain why one player being a 'good middle 6' player is contingent on Eller.

This is the original post:

Doesn't mention being better than Eller. Doesn't mention anything of that nature really.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The difference is expectations completely differ from what your role is.
DD played on the "3rd" line three times last year and I believe in two of these games it was actually the top or 2nd most used line.
In any event, that's 3 games. The previous year he was terrible in first 20 games, on every line.
You have to go back to his rookie year and a chunk of his production came on the PP.

That is not a middle six player to me. That's an exploitation center. He has no business in top 6.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Considering no one even brought up Eller until Kriss, you might have to explain why one player being a 'good middle 6' player is contingent on Eller.

Doesn't mention being better than Eller. Doesn't mention anything of that nature really.

Has to do with what a normal 3C does. But yeah sure pretend that this is about Eller instead of how the bottom 2 lines are defensive lines. Except on our team but only for 12 games, because as MB said we don't play a d style. Which is clear if anyone reads the starts. Its a Therrien style and its terrible

Nynja*

I wasnt answering that, I was responding to you, I even bolded the part I was responding to.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The difference is expectations completely differ from what your role is.
DD played on the "3rd" line three times last year and I believe in two of these games it was actually the top or 2nd most used line.
In any event, that's 3 games. The previous year he was terrible in first 20 games, on every line.
You have to go back to his rookie year and a chunk of his production came on the PP.

That is not a middle six player to me. That's an exploitation center. He has no business in top 6.

DD played 4 games as #3 center I believe. 6.5 as #2 center.

I don't follow, essentially it's impossible for a 3rd line to play 2nd most on occasion or a 2nd line to play the most on occasion?

Eller hit 18+ minutes 11 times last season. I guess he's not a real 3rd liner?

It depends on many things like special teams for instance and it applies to everyone.

DD also produced near PPG between the Gallys.

He was also a PPG on 3rd line when Eller was out and Galchenyuk was getting top PP time and 70+ OZS.

He wasn't compared to Eller in the post, any way you slice it the guy was just saying DD is a solid middle 6 player. It's not the most outrageous statement I've ever heard.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I got accused of cherry picking when I brought up his shortened season, the fact that he's been our best and most productive centers in the last 2 playoffs to show that he has offensive flair that could challenge DD and Plekanec's number if given the same role.

And here, we see people saying that DD is a good third liner because he has shown numbers but he played like 15 games over the last 3 seasons on the third line.

Nynja*

Okay and I was responding to Kriss who brought up Eller.

You know you can read the context of posts.

Then explain to me why you believe that defensive deployment and exploitative deployment are the same, and should yield the same production. You actually going out of your way to say "not the same use as Eller" is your way of acknowledging it so no one brings it up, yet dismissing it as something that would affect thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad