David Desharnais - Should I Stay or Should I Go Edition. (MOD WARNING #757)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
This thread remember me the movie Groundhog Day, the exact same thing again and again.

David 'The Groundhog' Desharnais, I like that but I hope he sees his shadow and is afraid and goes back into his hole.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
large-go-button.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The nice thing about coaching a team, which I can relate from personal experience, is that you just do what works and don't give a f*** what people with sensitive stomachs think.

The lineup and usages I presented would outscore our opponents 5-on-5 something fierce.

Pleks and Patches are two of the best 2-way players in the game, that put up real points. Kassian can complement them, he has the size Gallagher lacks, and some real skill.

The EGG line has proven chemistry and a blend of talents that simply works in the real world. Galchenyuk can be the creative offensive force, Gallagher the plucky 20-goal digger that plays with the two bigger men, and Lars Eller can show why he is a capable 2nd line player when surrounded by decent wingers who complement his style.

Mitchell, DeLaRose and Weise would be one of the best smother lines in the league if not the best. They also have a bit of skill to go along with tremendous speed and will generate some goals off turnovers and counterattacks.

Desharnais and DSP can pair up with a LW that is able to score some goals from the slot and in front of the net. In limited minutes and away from the best defence pairs of the opponents, they will still put up more points than our fourth line players have in recent years. So long as they don't play against the other team's first line, they should be adequate defensively.

On top of superior 5-on-5 matchups, my lineup has a loaded first PP wave with both Pacioretty and Galchenyuk on it, centered by our best offensive center, Tomas Plekanec. Properly coached, this trio plus Subban and either Markov or Petry will be back in the top-5 of the league, and the extra scoring on both the PP and 5-on-5 will make this team a top-10 offensive team to go along with top-2 defence.

From a physicality point of view, our four forwards under 6'0" are separated, one per line. The team will be hard to push around.

Go barf somewhere else, we have games to win.

I already broke down this line up of yours, not sure why you keep mentioning it. At least argue against my points.

Kassian has failed to perform consistently on a line with the Sedins in BC. Maybe it works here, but I doubt it. Paches-Plek isn't as strong a duo as the twins, and Kassian is used to being sheltered. Everything points to it failing. I'm sure Kassian will get an opportunity on top 6, but my money is on him ending up on an exploitation line.

The EGG line is not coming back together. We've had many opportunities to do so, we never did it, and Eller isn't going to be used as our 2nd liner while DD is on the 4th line. I mean, we even when DD had 0pts in 19gp, Therrien still couldn't keep the EGG line together and was constantly moving things around.
Galchenyuk also needs to play winger. You were arguing before last season that Galchenyuk should stay at the wing because he would get to average out 18min of play whereas, as a center, he'd get lower ice time because he'd play on lower lines. Well, he didn't get this ice time and his progression at the wing has been rather disappointing. His scoring pace as a rookie over 80gp (number of games he played last year) would give him 45pts. He put up 46. Enough of this crap. Move him to center where we have a major hole. He's our safest bet for a top center.
And please, do not bring up your ridiculous comparisons to 50 years when Lafleur was kept on the wing because we had Hall of Famer centers. It isn't comparable in the least.

Mitchell and DLR are 4th liners. They have no business running a 3rd line. Well, maybe DLR can improve offensively, he's still a youngster. But if we base ourselves on his production through the years, he has very little to show for it. Them getting close to 14min is too much for my liking. DLR was already getting that much ice time last year and it was too much imo.
If we had two powerhouse lines in the top 6, then okay, but that's not the case.
This third line of yours is essentially a 4th line.

DD on the 4th line while Mitchell centers the third is never going to happen. Never.
At the very least be a tad realistic and put it as your 3rd exploitation line.
But I want Galchenyuk at center, and he should be leading that exploitation line, not DD.

Your line up isn't all bad, Plek-Patches with EGG line as a top 6 is something people have been saying we should do for 2 years. However, the coach seem completely uninterested to put the EGG line together, and we have a hole at center that needs addressing ASAP, not to mention Galchenyuk at the wing has been quite disappointing. And having Mitchell as your 3rd line center with DLR and Weise is just terrible.

Our team isn't going to be lead by its top 6. Not unless Galchenyuk becomes that top center. If we look at last year, our production from top 6 forwards was actually pretty decent. We were on par in top 6 production compared to other good scoring teams. I didn't compare it to all teams in the NHL but if I were to bet, I'd say our top 6 was above average in scoring. Our issue was mostly our depth scoring.
We essentially had a checking line as the 3rd one, and a wannabe energy/defensive 4th line. Three years ago we had the EGG line as an exploitation line going into the POs. That was the key to our success that year, our scoring depth. Unfortunately it was killed in the POs with Patches-Gionta-Eller hurt, but we need to go back to that.

As I previously stated, Therrien should operate duos this year.
Plek-Patches
Eller-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Kassian
Mitchell-DLR

Fill the LW or RW with rookies/youngsters however you see fit. Experiment with DD on the wing. Even Therrien last year said him doing well at the wing would further his career when he used him there for a bit. Time to go back to that. He could play on Galchenyuk's wing as he also needs to play on an exploitation line.
Don't worry about Galchenyuk's ice time. There is no rule that says he absolutely must start the season playing 18min. Eller was the 3rd line center last year and the difference between him and Galchenyuk's ice time per game at ES was less than 1 shift. So you can make Galchenyuk play close to 14min at ES like Eller as your 3rd line center, and then load him up with PP time.
Point being, you can definitely manage his ice time.
That's what I think we should do.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Good idea with these new titles without roman numerals.

I think it's better for our collective sanity if we don't keep track of how many Desharnais threads we had! :laugh:

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
I hope he sign an extension so you guys could live that Groundhog Day again and again and again and again lol

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
What is the likelihood of a respectful tweet to MTLCanadiensGM, arguing for a more meritocratic approach to ice time (including PP ice time, and offensive zone faceoffs) and a drastic reduction of favoritism, would meet with any response at all?

Edit: just sent him one.
Bonjour Marc, bon travail. Mais une approche plus méritocrate s'impose (fini le favoritisme). Pour battre Tampa, faites jouer les meilleurs!

Should be met with a yawn.

Last edited:

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
Don't know why you posted that link as a response to my post....but thanks for making my point

the point you miss is that apart Pacc and Subban we should trade every habs players if we base it on the stats DD had.

Edit : Oh and we could keep Mitchell to play on our first line.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
The nice thing about coaching a team, which I can relate from personal experience, is that you just do what works and don't give a f*** what people with sensitive stomachs think.

The lineup and usages I presented would outscore our opponents 5-on-5 something fierce.

Pleks and Patches are two of the best 2-way players in the game, that put up real points. Kassian can complement them, he has the size Gallagher lacks, and some real skill.

The EGG line has proven chemistry and a blend of talents that simply works in the real world. Galchenyuk can be the creative offensive force, Gallagher the plucky 20-goal digger that plays with the two bigger men, and Lars Eller can show why he is a capable 2nd line player when surrounded by decent wingers who complement his style.

Mitchell, DeLaRose and Weise would be one of the best smother lines in the league if not the best. They also have a bit of skill to go along with tremendous speed and will generate some goals off turnovers and counterattacks.

Desharnais and DSP can pair up with a LW that is able to score some goals from the slot and in front of the net. In limited minutes and away from the best defence pairs of the opponents, they will still put up more points than our fourth line players have in recent years. So long as they don't play against the other team's first line, they should be adequate defensively.

On top of superior 5-on-5 matchups, my lineup has a loaded first PP wave with both Pacioretty and Galchenyuk on it, centered by our best offensive center, Tomas Plekanec. Properly coached, this trio plus Subban and either Markov or Petry will be back in the top-5 of the league, and the extra scoring on both the PP and 5-on-5 will make this team a top-10 offensive team to go along with top-2 defence.

From a physicality point of view, our four forwards under 6'0" are separated, one per line. The team will be hard to push around.

Go barf somewhere else, we have games to win.

I really have a hard time understanding why you seem to be against having Galchenyuk develop at center where his play style, skill set and skating ability would be much better utilized. This team would benefit greatly having Galchenyuk take that step forward and hopefully break out into the player we all hope he can be, Continuing playing him on the wing will not help him reach that potential . At 21 y/o, the time is now.

Instead of spreading out the quality centers you decide to put two on the same line which makes our bottom 6 utterly worthless when it comes to producing offence. You said it yourself, Pacioretty is a great two-way winger, so why not have an offence-first center like Galchenyuk there, rather than Plekanec? Plekanec on the 2nd line having his minutes reduced a little would hopefully keep some gas left in his tank come playoff time.

That 4th line would get absolutely dusted defensively as well as they wouldn't produce jack offensively. AHL'er-DD-DSP, just no.

I'll propose to you these lines: (Assuming DD is still here and the lineup doesn't change)

Pacioretty-Glachenyuk-Kassian
Hudon/Andrighetto-Plekanec-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Weise
DLR-Mitchell-DSP

The offence is distributed better, the 4th line can actually defend and you get to have a young guy like Hudon stepping in. The best part of all Galchenyuk will be at center learning and getting better.

What I'm expecting to see come opening night:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Kassian
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-Eller-Weise
DLR-Mitchell-DSP

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
the point you miss is that apart Pacc and Subban we should trade every habs players if we base it on the stats DD had.

Yep....everyone of our forwards were use only offensively with tons of PP....and still ended as the forwards with the less shot on goal (except for De La rose). Only top 6 players in the minus also (that's good for a guy not taking ANY defensive mission)

How about this one:
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=3&season=20132014

How about the year prior:
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=3&season=20122013

Yeah, Groundhog day.

And if the PO would start next week, and i would've to choose only between Mitchell and Desharnais, i would take Mitchell.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
What is the likelihood of a respectful tweet to MTLCanadiensGM, arguing for a more meritocratic approach to ice time (including PP ice time, and offensive zone faceoffs) and a drastic reduction of favoritism, would meet with any response at all?

Edit: just sent him one.
Bonjour Marc, bon travail. Mais une approche plus méritocrate s'impose (fini le favoritisme). Pour battre Tampa, faites jouer les meilleurs!

Should be met with a yawn.

I hope he replies!

Mostly because that isn't really Marc...

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

he plays a one dimentional passing perimiter game. His reg season ppg number is about .6ppg. In the PO it drops to half that. why...because of his style of play. He is not a suitable #1C for a team looking to be a top team now, or beat the top teams in the playoffs.

He needs to go.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
i honestly feel bad for DD. He's the kind of player that can have a place on this team, he's just being put in the wrong slot by MT.

I thought he played well last year when he was dropped down to the 3rd line LW with Eller and brought some offense to that line. Slotted correctly, I have no problem with him on this team. I just can't stand seeing him as the defacto 1st line centre when he's obviously NOT a 1st line centre.

Patches Plex Gally
Hudon/DLR Chucky Kassian
DD Eller DSP
DLR/Weise Mitchell Flynn

Gives you offense and defense on the top 9 and better balanced with slotting guys in the right spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad