News Article: David Desharnais ranked 9th in the NHL for shoot outs

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I also heard DD went 0 in 2 in the shootout attempts he missed.

He clearly sucks, even at best part of his game.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So if it stayed the same there would be no point in changing roles.

Besides, how about last 3 years? too far back?;)

The point would be to play the better player more then the worse player. But it wouldn't stay the same, his production would increase we just don't know how much. Both Desharnais and Plekanec saw about 0.16 ppg increase, though some of that would be due to increased ice time.

There are a lot of reasons I didn't go 3 years back and it has nothing to do with Desharnais. Galchenyuk wasn't in the NHL, Plekanec spent a lot of his minutes next to guys like Darche, Moen, and an unproductive Bourque. Eller was a sophmore still finding his way in the NHL, there was a different coaching staff/system, just to name a few.

Desharnais's ES/60 goes up to 1.892 if we include his big year, so not much different. Should I also include the year before as well so that we can include Plekanec's big year?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The point would be to play the better player more then the worse player. But it wouldn't stay the same, his production would increase we just don't know how much. Both Desharnais and Plekanec saw about 0.16 ppg increase, though some of that would be due to increased ice time.

There are a lot of reasons I didn't go 3 years back and it has nothing to do with Desharnais. Galchenyuk wasn't in the NHL, Plekanec spent a lot of his minutes next to guys like Darche, Moen, and an unproductive Bourque. Eller was a sophmore still finding his way in the NHL, there was a different coaching staff/system, just to name a few.

Desharnais's ES/60 goes up to 1.892 if we include his big year, so not much different. Should I also include the year before as well so that we can include Plekanec's big year?

Doing that...
You'd probably end up with Desharnais having similar numbers for the same season, while playing with Darche and White.

With an approx. of 11 ES TOI/Game for DD.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
DD is an underrated player around here. Not fantastic but has a few tricks up his sleeve and his shootout ability is one of them. Granted people are right, there are no shootouts in the playoffs. Still, I can't see how this ability hurts. It's a skill but one that is used left often than others so we should be happy he has it but understand the context as well.

well said, sir. :clap:

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
this is also very true.. he's got a few tricks like LL stated .. but he also has a **** load of short coming (pun intended)

That's really a case where "short coming" should've been written differently.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
DD has also shown he's a very capable shooter during game situations, accuracy in last seconds of the game. (last year with under 10 seconds left) That's a talent in itself, besides making tricky passes that create goals. Team effort has always been a trademark of the Habs teams that are playoff winners, a habit that helped in job situations through the yrs. for my crews and myself. Imitating that type of unity has helped in most life situations for this poster and most likely many small businesses. Scorers don't always create their own space, it's usually a combination of efforts by all the players in unison, at least from what I've observed over decades of watching the Habs teams that won numerous SC Titles.

Winning organizations almost always have good character & leadership along with very good interpersonal skills, which make very good teamwork a key to success.:nod:

S Bah, don't ever stop being you with the awesome positivity dude! :yo:

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....132014&sort=goals&status=A&viewName=shootouts

The thing is with shootout is that nodody had their equal chance to be on the shootout. I'm just saying that nif you expect to make the playoff cause of your talents à shootout, you will be in for an early exit in the PO for sure.

As for Eller:

Hmmm, you might not know that the Leafs got 9 wins in shootout (2nd in the League)

Shootout are nothing more than a competition skills....we might as well make a race between the faster player on both team.

i fully agree that no team should be set up to rely on shoot outs to win. that would be just stupid and asinine. and i agree that shoot outs in general are stupid and just a marketing based skills competition. but never the less they still exist in our game and give you and extra point if you win it when you find your self stuck in one any ways. so that being said i refer to my initial point .. its nice to have some one ranked in the top of the league at em... plus it feels just as good to celebrate a win via shoot out as it does to celebrate a win via reg / over time.

now as far as the leafs go. well come on guys they just suck .. and its their ability to go off the rails in such a epic and sudden fashion is what plummeted them out of the play off race in the home stretch of the year. they were certainly not hindered by their ability to win at shootouts, where they? nor could it save them from their horrendous tail spin they threw themselves into at years end either.

but for instance like the article point out about NJ .. winning at least half of theirs would have put them into the playoffs instead of losing all of their shoot outs and finishing 5 points out of the playoffs.

but those who keep holding to this "well it didn't help the leafs" are just doing so to to be stubborn. how can you argue that wining a shootout (if your find yourself in one) isn't a good thing? would it be better to lose the shootout? no of course not! i remember when we sucked in shootouts a couple years go and it sucked and that definitely didn't help us in the standings, did it?

any ways... i do wanna say thanks for the eller shootout vids, i saw those online but i cant seem to find any kinda stats site that lists the shootout fails/ successes by players or teams even.. do you have one that you used to find the eller shootout stats you posted? cause i would love to be able to see the site and see how every one on our team fairs at them. i think its a good point of discussion.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
It's a beautiful world, just glad to be a part of it, my friend, being a Hab fan makes it that much better.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Hells ya it does.. if i didn't have my band and the Habs i don't really know what i would do with my time lol .. ugh thats kinda sad.. but oh well i still love my life :laugh:

cheers my fellow western habs bro!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad