David Desharnais (Part 5.7)

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Yeah, yesterday, on Gallagher's goal, he could've simply tried to go backhand on Fleury, but decided to try and pass it across the crease to Patches which was a very low percentage play compared to the backhand move. He needs to shoot more to at least create the illusion that he's a scoring threat sometimes.

That had me :laugh:. That won't show up on the score sheet. That said, DD played well....offensively.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
DD has been playing really well offensively ever since he broke out of his slump, doesnt change that he's a complete liability on the other side of the puck.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
DD hasn't been a liability defensively recently. When he's playing well offensively, it usually translates with decent defensive work. He won't be mistaken for a shutdown center any time soon, but he makes mostly good reads in the defensive zone and doesn't do any egregiously bad defensive plays when he's on.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Well, this sucks. He's putting up numbers, which is what he was signed for. He'll be an Habs for a while longer. :)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
DD hasn't been a liability defensively recently. When he's playing well offensively, it usually translates with decent defensive work. He won't be mistaken for a shutdown center any time soon, but he makes mostly good reads in the defensive zone and doesn't do any egregiously bad defensive plays when he's on.

That i agree, he don't do bad mistakes other than some bad coverage from time to time. It's about puck-possession. Althought he don't make costly mistakes, he's like the "anti-retrieval weapon" in the D-zone.

Every games, i see players skate around the D-zone with DD covering them, and he simply skate around with him, doing absolutely nothing while a simple check would have stopped the rush and the play.

Well, this sucks. He's putting up numbers, which is what he was signed for. He'll be an Habs for a while longer. :)

Well, if smarts DG are trying to Sell High/Buy Low......mayby it's time to sell

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
Trading DD at this point would be a very smart move but only if we get a good, productive forward in return. His current production's nothing to sneeze at and it'd be silly to trade him for a lesser return.

As to him making good reads in his zone, i disagree. He's a non-factor and will never be a guy who can do a takeover from his D-zone or win a boards battle to get the puck out of his zone. All his rushes come off of first passes.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Are we all still bashing on DD? Last I checked, he's well beyond a streak, going on 39 games with 33 pts...
Fine, we get it, he's not the future...so we dump him (whether AHL or waiver or trade for a bag of pucks...)...then what?
Pleks is needed as a shutdown C since Eller hasn't stepped up to handle that (in whole or in part)...
Eller...well, has how many points in the last 40'sh games? Offensively, is he even getting 3rd line numbers? So I doubt he can take over...regardless if he starts getting better wingers and minutes.
As of now, the only possibility is Galch (or I suppose Briere) to become our #1 C...and I don't think Galch is ready and even if he does well, he may get crushed during the playoffs...
If we get rid of DD without another C coming back to replace him (which obviously won't happen)...I think offensively speaking, we'll be worse off. And considering how "well" we are playing right now, I suppose we could try "not" getting into the playoffs to get a better draft pick (and sell during the trade deadline...) but considering the amount of games left...that may be a tall order...
Or we keep him and try to continue to develop our young core (regardless of MT's dumb decisions...)

(Edit: did the math, Eller is projecting about 24 pts...)

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Are we all still bashing on DD? Last I checked, he's well beyond a streak, going on 39 games with 33 pts...
Fine, we get it, he's not the future...so we dump him (whether AHL or waiver or trade for a bag of pucks...)...then what?
Pleks is needed as a shutdown C since Eller hasn't stepped up to handle that (in whole or in part)...
Eller...well, has how many points in the last 40'sh games? Offensively, is he even getting 3rd line numbers? 4th line numbers? So I doubt he can take over...regardless if he starts getting better wingers and minutes.
As of now, the only possibility is Galch (or I suppose Briere) to become our #1 C...and I don't think Galch is ready and even if he does well, he may get crushed during the playoffs...
If we get rid of DD without another C coming back to replace him (which obviously won't happen)...I think offensively speaking, we'll be worse off. And considering how "well" we are playing right now, I suppose we could try "not" getting into the playoffs to get a better draft pick (and sell during the trade deadline...) but considering the amount of games left...that may be a tall order...
Or we keep him and try to continue to develop our young core (regardless of MT's dumb decisions...)

Geez...i wonder how the Habs gets that winning record in the first 25% of this season and last season without big DD's offensive output.

And i never saw DD run throught 3 guys to get a shot on net in his whole life, Galchenyuk did that last night...playing with Plek, and that's playing against top lines.

But for the PO...i would have absolutely no problem with having one of the clutchiest player performer in the game in his favorite chair.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
I am pretty satisfied with Davey. When he is on the ice I am no longer sighing, expecting the worst.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Geez...i wonder how the Habs gets that winning record in the first 25% of this season and last season without big DD's offensive output.

And i never saw DD run throught 3 guys to get a shot on net in his whole life, Galchenyuk did that last night...playing with Plek, and that's playing against top lines.

But for the PO...i would have absolutely no problem with having one of the clutchiest player performer in the game in his favorite chair.

Um...You mean the first 19 games of this year before MT butchered the EGG line? If so...yeah, I suppose you can technically call that a winning record...but 10 wins and 9 loses aren't all that impressive...
And I understand that you hate DD and want to dump him with all your might but are you really ready to throw Galchy under the bus and make him the defacto #1 C? Playing wing and doing well is totally different than playing #1C. Whatever happened to developing him instead of just throwing him in?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Your goldenboy Eller will be traded away before David.

Actually of the four,
Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller
White

... Dunno why you say that because for his role, Eller is about the lowest ranked in my confidence right now.
\
I know Plex can play a solid 2nd C role and his positioning gives him superior shut-down and penalty-killing ability and he is always a scoring threat; meanwhile gritty White can win faceoffs and stick up for his teammates and be a pest and lightning rod; and of course Galchenyuk is a natural, destined for greatness and is showing a fast learning curve. It's Eller I wonder about -- but anyway for now he can hold down a checking line and kill penalties and has good puck possession and I'm hoping for the best.

If DD were not a one-trick pony he could play third-line centre over Eller for all I care. But DD's skill set and range are limited.

DD's trade value now is probably at its apex.

Agree but does MB have the kahunas to trade him?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller
White

Our centres ftw sorry David

DD has played significantly better than Eller in the last stretch. At this point IF galchenyuk were forced into center it would be at Eller's expense, not DDs.

That's why Galchenyuk will stay a winger because he's a better winger than Eller is.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
DD has played significantly better than Eller in the last stretch. At this point IF galchenyuk were forced into center it would be at Eller's expense, not DDs.

That's why Galchenyuk will stay a winger because he's a better winger than Eller is.

Yeah I don't buy this reasoning sorry. Different centers play different roles in a good lineup. IMHO Galchenyuk is ready for an increased role at C. DD can really only play one role he does not have the skills or size to move down and fill the third-line centre role, or any other centre role for that matter.

DD had the highest +- on the team during last year's playoffs. He was on for 1 GA the entire series.

Blaming him for lack of playoff success seems misguided.

Those playoffs did not work out so well for the Habs...

or will he get value that warrants a trade? you don't trade just 'cause

You can trade if it gives the opportunity to promote Galchenyuk to the top-minutes C spot. Plus DD had "zero" value earlier in the season so we should be glad if he could fetch some assets now.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Agree but does MB have the kahunas to trade him?

Doesn't take Kahunas. It takes assurance that you have somebody READY to take his place. Clearly, they don't think the world out of Eller. And feel that Galchy isn,t ready. Unless Paul Stastny or whoever comes back, a proven centerman, DD will not move.

I mean, you have to be consequent here. If the team decides and thinks that they have what it takes to challenge any team in the playoffs, there won't be a DD for pucks type of trades even if tons of people here would like it. If we would have sell the team Buffalo style....but then yes, DD might be traded. But that's not where they are going. I'm just stunned that from people who know hockey that are still suggesting, to this day, to just get rid of him, and just put Galchy there....just like that, in February....not having played centerman. Yet, people keep saying, so shelter him and give him the easy minutes....Fine...who gets the hard minutes? Pleks? But isn't there tons of complaints how about Pleks is always the unlucky here? Why is it suddenly not that big of a deal? At the expense of the Galchy progression? Still, no matter the reason he still will get the hard minutes. And who helps him? Eller? Right now with that state of mind and based on how he's competing right now? Again, if you just don,t care about making the playoffs, fine, let's do it. If you care and still suggest that.....how is that really wise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad