David Desharnais - Conn Smythe Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It was crystal clear last offseason that Therrien + Desharnais is a toxic combination.

It is equally crystal clear now.

One or the other must not return next season.

Why not both?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Bottom 6 players are able to play physical, to grind the play and take defensive responsabilities. That's not Desharnais.

DD can help some teams out there, but not a top 10 team in the league

HabsDieHard*

Bottom 6 players are able to play physical, to grind the play and take defensive responsabilities. That's not Desharnais.

DD can help some teams out there, but not a top 10 team in the league

I think the game is changing and/or has changed and that a guy like Desharnais could be a valuable 3rd liner for a team.

But it has to be a team with a heck of a top 6, and some physical guys with a bit of a scoring touch on the wing, and able to play 3rd line.

For example, a team like Anaheim with Getzlaf/Kesler as their top 2 centers, and just a ridiculous stable of young solid wingers...and I feel like Desharnais could actually work quite well as their 3rd line center.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think the game is changing and/or has changed and that a guy like Desharnais could be a valuable 3rd liner for a team.

But it has to be a team with a heck of a top 6, and some physical guys with a bit of a scoring touch on the wing, and able to play 3rd line.

For example, a team like Anaheim with Getzlaf/Kesler as their top 2 centers, and just a ridiculous stable of young solid wingers...and I feel like Desharnais could actually work quite well as their 3rd line center.

The problem is that DEsharnais will ALWAYS take some offensive game situation away from any top 6 and give that top 6 more defensive responsabilities cause he can't take any. There's only one way to use Desharnais.

Put him anywhere in the line-up......his usage will always be the same.
Uni-dimensional player.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Well, it's not like it's just now that it's time for DD to go. That ship sailed much earlier.

Well tell that ship to come back, they forgot DD...funny I mentioned this morning we need a poll on a should DD stay or go and voila, there it is...but I was wrong on the prediction, I figured it would be a 97% get the hell outa here, so far it's 100% ..LOL

HabsDieHard*

The problem is that DEsharnais will ALWAYS take some offensive game situation away from any top 6 and give that top 6 more defensive responsabilities cause he can't take any. There's only one way to use Desharnais.

Put him anywhere in the line-up......his usage will always be the same.
Uni-dimensional player.

Which is why he could work on a team with 2 centers like Getzlaf and Kesler.

Anaheim probably has some good young cheap center though, i'm just kind of spit balling about the type of team he *could* work as a 3rd line center on.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Which is why he could work on a team with 2 centers like Getzlaf and Kesler.

Anaheim probably has some good young cheap center though, i'm just kind of spit balling about the type of team he *could* work as a 3rd line center on.

I wouldn't want to give less offensive minutes and more defensive minutes to guys like Getzlaf and Kesler, i wouldn't see the positive that could came out of it.

Give offensive minutes to a lot less talented guy and give defensive minutes to the real talents of the team.

Desharnais could help a team that only dreams of making to the PO....not any teams that are already a PO team.

HabsDieHard*

I wouldn't want to give less offensive minutes and more defensive minutes to guys like Getzlaf and Kesler, i wouldn't see the positive that could came out of it.

Give offensive minutes to a lot less talented guy and give defensive minutes to the real talents of the team.

Desharnais could help a team that only dreams of making to the PO....not any teams that are already a PO team.

Kesler and Getzlaf are both the type of high end guys who can start a shift in their own zone and see the puck go in the other net 15 seconds later.

They are also the type of guy who teams need to match their best lines up against whenever posisble.

Watch an Anaheim game some time, it's pretty rare to see a big defesive zone draw where Kesler isn't out there.

Against weaker competition, with some wingers with size, Desharnais could be a solid 3rd center option in todays' NHL where depth scoring is so important.

It isn't as straight forward as it used to be with regards to lines 1, 2, 3 and 4.

HabsDieHard*

As wlel, on a team where his coach actually made players' accountable, Desharnais might become less of a floater.

Or not.

I can't stand the little puke personally.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Kesler and Getzlaf are both the type of high end guys who can start a shift in their own zone and see the puck go in the other net 15 seconds later.

They are also the type of guy who teams need to match their best lines up against whenever posisble.

Watch an Anaheim game some time, it's pretty rare to see a big defesive zone draw where Kesler isn't out there.

Against weaker competition, with some wingers with size, Desharnais could be a solid 3rd center option in todays' NHL where depth scoring is so important.

It isn't as straight forward as it used to be with regards to lines 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Technically speaking, it could work....but i assure you, there's not one PO bound team that is looking to add a soft, 5'7", uni-dimensional player who had an history of vanishing in the PO to their team. Not one.

Don't forget one thing: DD is now labelled a non-PO performer.
It's even worst than being labelled an injury prone player.

Anaheim wouldn't take him if we take all of his salary.....they simply have better options and they are looking to win the SC. I don't see why they would had a Desharnais.

Expansion team....you are our only hope....

gee

Jun 28, 2007
Winnipeg
he would do great as #1c in St.John's

maxresdefault.jpg

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The line had less offensive zone starts than Plekanec's line.. and if I'm not mistaken.. wasn't Desharnais line going up against the Stamkos line while Pacioretty's line was going up at JT Brown's line?

Also Desharnais' line got less PP time than Pleks as well. Desharnais had less PP TOI than any of the top-6 forwards (well him and PAP had the same).

So I think that's just a litttttle ridiculous.

As for whose responsible? Try all our Top-6 forwards (including Desharnais before you try and say I'm covering for him)? Our top-6 forwards, at most, have 3 points. That's ****ing pathetic. They're being outscored by Torrey Mitchell, Brian Flynn, Greg Pateryn, and Tom Gilbert. Yup... that's true.

That's such ********... go back and watch the play. Literally 99.9% of players would not have got that. How can you even call that a pass?

Are they?

Pacioretty is a keeper purely because he can get us TO the playoffs. But in the playoffs.. 14 points in 29 games? That's more than a slump. Lars Eller and Rene Bourque nearly passed his career production last playoffs alone. Hell, another few good games and Greg Pateryn will pass him. :laugh:

Plekanec aka Princess? He's not producing much under his season average points wise.. but the dude is a -19 in the playoffs. People can say "omg, +/-... not a real stat" ... except it is for him. Not the actual stat.. but it tells you something. Plekanec is a not a good playoff player. At all.

I already posted this to you once. This is not a good time to defend one player you love, who is not good, when Habs are about to be humiliated in a series and have big issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Where exactly do people think he is going?

I would like to see the Habs trade him, but can't see any takers, not sure I have ever heard anyone say they are looking for a smurfish center who disappears in the playoffs and is a defensive liability.

My only hope is that MB puts his foot down and demands Therrien play Chucky at center next year.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
He played a decent game yesterday. He still spends to much time floating around and stopping at the half wall. He's not different than Gomez stopping at the blue line constantly.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Where exactly do people think he is going?

I would like to see the Habs trade him, but can't see any takers, not sure I have ever heard anyone say they are looking for a smurfish center who disappears in the playoffs and is a defensive liability.

My only hope is that MB puts his foot down and demands Therrien play Chucky at center next year.

Don't know about MB stepping in like that. I mean GM's and coaches need to see eye to eye, but GM's usually take a hands off approach about who plays and who plays where.

Remember MB signed Briere and MT had absolutely no use for the guy and you wondered why he was signed. Two years ago the young D on the farm should have gotten lots of play with the team and did not, as MT was using vets like Murray and Cubes. Now you know MT would have loved Cubes back, but MB did not sign him. So MT had to go to the young guys this year. Only thing I could see is MB forcing MT's hand by trading away DD, so MT would have to play Galchenyuk.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Desharnais is an AHL superstar and an average NHLer. Plain and simple. He's Corey Locke, but with a coach who loves him.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
My heart tells me he's gone, but my brain is telling me he'll be paired with Pac come day 1 of training camp along side with whichever guy we trade PAP for.

MJN79

Nov 21, 2008
Desharnais has to go. In his career in the playoffs, over the 35 games he has played, Desharnais has 2 goals and 10 assists.
He plays on the top 2 lines, gets PP time. I don't even know how its possible to perform as bad given the amount of chances he has had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad