Player Discussion David Desharnais appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He put up 4 great offensive seasons with us. If last year he stayed as an offensive 3C it would have been a good year for him as well. I hope you are able to find yourself an NHL contract next season if not I would love to have DD in Laval. He would be a great leader for young players in the AHL.

I wish him success too but not in Laval...he's a fringe NHLers and he would do very well in the AHL, which means he'll find a way up to the big club when he destroys AHLers.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I assume you didn't read my reply to you on the previous page, since you keep repeating the same argument.

I did, and it's not worth replying to...

talking as if you understand the reasonning and motives of the posters here, when it's clear as day you don't.

filling with linguistic victimisation or something

trying to portray the Habs as some sort of unifying heroes while in reality they're entertainers and nothing more.

yup, I read it but... as grand ma' would say, your reply is a torchon.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The problem Craig71, and I'm OBVIOUSLY not talking about you, clearly considering you as one of the best around here, is that for a few posters, NOT ALL, language is a part of everything. Not saying that they are totally wrong, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but their frustration starts with the franco GM and franco coach. Then it transpires to the franco players. For some, when we get a franco player, it's to appease the mass. As if they don't realize that the franco number of players are at an all-time low. I've seen worst players for the H abs than Bégin, Bouillon, Dandenault...and yet they have been often seen as the plague. The level of hate for DD was never seen before. And will probably not be seen for a long time. And he was not wrong....you will see how Danault will be treated.

So I understand that some in here want to play the counterpart of the medias (as far as the "fans" are concerned, you don't read the same thing than me), but what we blame the medias for.....we do the exact same thing. Don't forget though. I was NEVER a DD fan. I was mostly a guy who was saying that we were putting WAY too much power on him. I was against people who were calling him a AHL/ECHL er. Was against people who were blaming him for everything going wrong with that team and that the day he's gone, everything would be better. That's all. But the hate that transpired, at least for me, looked way more than just a "hockey" situation.

I'm happy he's gone so some can finally see the other problems of this team. And I,m also happy 'cause if we want to be a top team, there's no room for a DD, or at least I think. No matter what he does in Edmonton, even if it's good, doesn't mean we should have kept him. I thought he was in full complacent mode. And right now, he migth be towards the end of it at least for a top team. But I don't think the hate was deserved. That's all.

I am extremely frustrated with the French management policy, it's how we ended up with MT. Limiting yourself like that is a fools errand. My dislike for DD however is not based in language. He has been a favorite of the coach at the expense of other players, that's it. His usage, nothing to do with language at all. I am surprised how quickly people play the language card though. I absolutely love Dandenault, could care less about Franco or otherwise. Unlike DD he works hard, every shift.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The problem Craig71, and I'm OBVIOUSLY not talking about you, clearly considering you as one of the best around here, is that for a few posters, NOT ALL, language is a part of everything. Not saying that they are totally wrong, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but their frustration starts with the franco GM and franco coach. Then it transpires to the franco players. For some, when we get a franco player, it's to appease the mass. As if they don't realize that the franco number of players are at an all-time low. I've seen worst players for the H abs than Bégin, Bouillon, Dandenault...and yet they have been often seen as the plague. The level of hate for DD was never seen before. And will probably not be seen for a long time. And he was not wrong....you will see how Danault will be treated.

So I understand that some in here want to play the counterpart of the medias (as far as the "fans" are concerned, you don't read the same thing than me), but what we blame the medias for.....we do the exact same thing. Don't forget though. I was NEVER a DD fan. I was mostly a guy who was saying that we were putting WAY too much power on him. I was against people who were calling him a AHL/ECHL er. Was against people who were blaming him for everything going wrong with that team and that the day he's gone, everything would be better. That's all. But the hate that transpired, at least for me, looked way more than just a "hockey" situation.

I'm happy he's gone so some can finally see the other problems of this team. And I,m also happy 'cause if we want to be a top team, there's no room for a DD, or at least I think. No matter what he does in Edmonton, even if it's good, doesn't mean we should have kept him. I thought he was in full complacent mode. And right now, he migth be towards the end of it at least for a top team. But I don't think the hate was deserved. That's all.

Nice post sir Whitesnake, we have some of the proudest and most knowledgeable fans in hockey and the last 20 plus years have been rough. We have seen multiple coaches,GMs and players come and go without much success and fans are for the most part frustrated by losing and oftentimes are looking to point fingers in whatever direction they deem necessary sometimes rightfully and sometimes wrongfully. ( I do it all the time)

I have never been a fan of DD and I am glad he is gone, will I look at Phillip Danault in the same way because he is french? Absolutely not, I really do not care about crap like that and I felt that today there was no reason to use his name as a potential next guy to get targeted simply because he is a francophone player. It is also in the best interests of a franchise in a mostly french speaking market to be able to have a local flavor on the team, we should however make attempts to have the best possible talent from the region and many times in the past it has not been the case, is that a failure on the teams part to not scout local talent or draft local talent or have it slip under our noses when it is right in our own backyard?

In any case he is gone, he earned many millions of dollars in a habs jersey, something none of us ever could do, I am glad to move on from this era and start fresh with a new 5 year plan and a new old coach that I hope can lead these guys to a Stanley cup. Go habs.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

Amen!

Your one of the best poster out here!

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
. The level of hate for DD was never seen before. And will probably not be seen for a long time. .

Excellent post, however, you do remember the level of hate for Brisebois? IMHO it was greater.

Contract definitely was an issue, length and amount.

He gave us several good years when we had very little talent on this team. At his best he was a good second liner, who was thrust in the first liner role.

I agree the hate was unreasonable, but it always seems that way.

Why do we always need a whipping boy?

And I agree for some reason it seems mostly Francophone players. And I am a former Anglo Quebecer.

Have you seen the trades board where someone proposes to get PK back for Weber, Juulson, and two firsts? The hate continues. It is suffocating sometimes.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
DD's debut 22h00 ET tonight centering Kassian and undrafted 5'9" offensive phenom Drake Caggiula, interesting. Hope he does well!

I was so happy when DD came up, would be dumb cheering for the Habs but not for local players?! I wish there were more local / franco players on the team.

But hated MT's coddling of DD, cheered on by his pals at RDS & JdM etc. Does anyone think the province's most powerful media played a positive role by glorifying DD and trashing Subban or whomever else was in MT's doghouse? That's where any damaging language bias was, not here on HF.

Go DD!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I hope he does well too. Will mean nothing if he does for us. His time was up for quite a long time now. But kid played his heart out. And I think deserve to play a role for a NHL team for a few years before it's way too much for him. But one step at a time. Hope he does well tonight.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Go DD Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

From an old time Habs fan that truly appreciated your heart & soul play through your yrs. as a Hab & Bulldog. Edmonton fans are in for a treat, Chiarelli knows how much of a pain you were for the Bruins, that's why he got you there, Inspirational Athlete that he's seen in action.

Go Davey Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap::nod::nod:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Desharnais looks real tiny in that Oilers uniform. I don't know if it's the color scheme or what, but it looks worse than when he was with us. :laugh:

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
DD looked 3 feet tall on the Habs, but 2 feet with that Oilers uniform..lol

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
Desharnais Update

1. Perhaps every negative thing said about him was grossly exaggerated
2. He makes his linemates better
3. He tries really, really hard.
4. The ugliest skater I've ever seen
5. Started slow, but got 1 point tonight

Man you guys exaggerate too much. Not saying he's good, but he a serviceable bottom six player. He's not an "AHL" player as so many from Montreal have said.

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer

Man you guys exaggerate too much. Not saying he's good, but he a serviceable bottom six player. He's not an "AHL" player as so many from Montreal have said.

A lot of the hate comes from the terrible misuse of him by Therrien. But small guys like him get outmuscled very easily, and he will make some boneheaded decisions.

DD was never truly as bad as most thought, but he is definitely not good.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
not an nhler on a team with actual playoff success as a goal. feeds on bad teams in favourable home ice usage

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

Don't even bother. There are people here with litteraly thousands of posts bashing DD over the years. Best of luck to DD and you guys, and I hope he gets to a second wind over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad