Player Discussion David Desharnais appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
We hated him but he I think most of it is because of Michel Therrien.

You have to respect a guy who is a legitimate NHL player, sings for Les trois accords and has Isabelle Desjardins as his girlfriend.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I liked him and his story at first. I never thought he was an NHL centreman, in some ways he proved me wrong - in other ways he was a terrible centreman.

I think he won't get another NHL contract. He was only here because Therrien trusted him, and we've seen Therrien trust other non-NHLers (Armstrong, Murray, Bouillon). The line between being an NHLer and being a tweener is very thin, DD doesn't belong in the NHL and there's plenty he could've done to change that but there's also plenty that he did already to get in and we should credit and praise him for it.

He was often bashed and it wasn't entirely his fault, but that's how it goes in pro sports. If DD had the work ethic or Martin St Louis he'd be our captain (probably), but he didn't and we shouldn't have expected him to be as good as Theo Fleury or MSL, it's tough enough to get in the NHL to begin with.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Class act, over achiever.

If he had a dollar for every time he was told he was too small and would never make it...

He bypassed many on the depth chart and stayed there because of the organization's lack of drafting/developing forwards.

Hope he does well.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Still an NHL player, just not in Montreal. Edmonton has a better supporting cast for DD
Good luck

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll mainly remember him for two things :

Le Shift.
That Save in the Playoffs against Boston.

Especially the latter. Not many players would've been able to pull this without getting a penalty.

jjmathews202

Jul 21, 2015
He was the guy MTL loved to hate (often both deservedly and undeservedly), but it never stopped him. I hope Davey sees success in Edmonton. Must have been a dream to play for MTL as a QC native, especially one who was probably told all the time he would never make it.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I remember rooting for him when he was in our system and getting in the NHL. Then, MB generous contract extension + MT usage of DD made me profoundly hate him. He lost his poise with the puck and considering his small stature and unimpressive speed; he lost all edge to his game, the league is too big and fast for him, I'm now happy he is gone.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This was really spectacular. Best of luck, David. You wore the jersey with pride and remained classier than your nastier critics.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
He seems like a good/funny guy. I wish him the best for the remainder of the season and beyond. He should be employed with bigger players, that should help him out quite a bit.

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
Long time lurker, thought this would be a good time to post a thought on DD.

To be sure, his time was up with the Habs but I wish him well with the Oilers.

He did the best he could with a limited tool set but his misuse over the years is really a sad reflection of the state the Habs as a franchise have become.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
HF gonna be so quiet now. I always liked DD. I honestly think that had he been deployed properly from the start, most people would have had a different opinion on the guy. He's a good person and his story is inspirational.

Best of luck in Edmonton.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
HF gonna be so quiet now. I always liked DD. I honestly think that had he been deployed properly from the start, most people would have had a different opinion on the guy. He's a good person and his story is inspirational.

Best of luck in Edmonton.

That gets me thinking...
DD was QUITE good in a secondary role when deployed with Benoit Pouliot, right?

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
This was really spectacular. Best of luck, David. You wore the jersey with pride and remained classier than your nastier critics.

Desharnais was and still is the heart and soul of this team! Bleu Blanc et rouge le David sont dangereux!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think he was liked in locker room. He was a professional but his play on the ice no longer matched our needs or expectations.

Good luck to him. I hope he carves a career as a depth player and gets some of that old spark back.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I kind of feel bad about how this board has treated Desharnais now. He was terribly overused and held back/hindered Galchenyuk and even Eller, but he seems like a very classy guy and has acheived far more than I ever will.

Good luck in Edmonton

Would be kind of hilarious if McDavid carried the Oilers to a cup and DD got his name on there

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Got sick of him the last couple years, but he seemed like a real class act and was well liked by his teammates.

Hope he can do well for Edmonton, it was time for him to go and both parties are better off now.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Classy responses from DD to the media:

#Oilers Desharnais said he cherished what he believed was the last game he would wear #Habs colours, touching his heart as he said it.

"I'm leaving with a heavy heart, but I have to look at this as a professional. This is a chance to continue my career." - Desharnais

"Max Pacioretty has played an important role in my career." - Desharnais

"I would recommend it to anyone." -Desharnais on playing in Montreal

"There were highs and lows, but I'm only taking away the positives. This will help me grow. I'm leaving with my head held high." -Desharnais

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
(mod)

Glad he was traded because he is undersized. The Habs need to get skill and size. Good luck in Edmonton.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
^

NoNJ3FV.gif

- Bromance

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He tried hard and gave it his all. He was put in positions where he had no chance to succeed by Therrien. I'm sure he'll score vs us every time we play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad