David Desharnais a legit #2 center. Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
What's not to love? A pint-sized undrafted local kid beats the odds and makes it to the #1C of the most glorious hockey team in the world. Wonderful story. Could be a Disney movie!

You have that hipster attitude down pat.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I cheer for the Habs it's post-deadline and now we go into the playoffs with the roster we have. I'll be delighted if the Habs win the Cup and DD hoists it high. Serious.

Does not mean I can't have critical opinions guys.

hogtownhabsfan*

Can we lock this thread?

The amount of idiots in here is mindboggling. Do people not realize that DD is the guy Pac and Vanek WANT to play with? he's a goal scoring wingers dream!

But... but... but... he's small, french, and wasn't a top pick!

PricePkPatch*

Can we lock this thread?

The amount of idiots in here is mindboggling. Do people not realize that DD is the guy Pac and Vanek WANT to play with? he's a goal scoring wingers dream!

But... but... but... he's small, french, and wasn't a top pick!

Like I said earlier. It's like how Crosby want Dupuis to play with him.

While he's not a top-end talent, he's the sort of player gamebreakers like performing with. Just remember how Cole went from Staal to Desharnais, and had a career season.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
That's the thing. You can put virtually anyone in that role and get equal production.
Either anyone could do it, and DD contributes nothing basically since anyone could do it. Or you've just exaggerated like crazy and no, not everyone can get equal production.

And spoiler... it's the latter. DD is a fine playmaker with excellent hockey sense, vision and passing skills. He's also got an underrated wrister that he should use more. He is also small, not great defensively and not as fast as you'd like a player of his stature to be. But overall, he's an useful little player for a 3.5M cap hit and he clearly brings something to the Vanek/Patch duo that not every other center on the team could bring. If you compare with Briere, he wouldn't be a good fit because Briere likes to shoot more than DD. With Vanek and Patch we don't need a guy that's more of a playmaker and since you already have two star player together in Patch/DD, they don't need to have a Crosby/Getzlaf centering them. DD fits the bill perfectly.

Again. I'd rather see other more valuable centered put in that role. If DD is as great as everyone thinks he is then he should be productive on another line or at wing. This would give us size upfront and would better spread firepower through the top 3 lines.
See you don't make sense at all. If you say that Plekanec is better than DD and you put Plekanec with Vanek/Patch, doesn't it spread the offense even less ?

See, our strength is that we have depth at center. No true all star center who can do it all (log huge minutes while producing at a ppg) but the sum of all parts add up to more than the individual parts given the way they are currently used. And we don't spend a lot on them. Hell, Galchenyuk+Eller+Plekanec+DD make a combined 10-11M cap hit. Just Getzlaf makes 8.2M in cap hit. So, we have cap space to get wingers which are better than our centers. Guys like Vanek. Or, to be carried by our goaltending/defense.

A lot of the arguments being put forth are just disguised hatred for DD. He's a fine player. Useful. We can win with him. He makes 3.5M and he won't be carrying the team, he shouldn't be expected to. He's not our best player on the ice, nor is he paid like he is. I can already hear your response that he is used like our best player but that's a load of BS. He's used in a way that makes sense within the team. Hell, we've been winning games like crazy despite some truly horrendous showing from our D at times. All lines are producing because Vanek has pushed Gionta to the third line, and Gallagher can play with Plekanec, so everything is where it should be. I don't see what's there to complain about. The problem was always that we didn't have enough quality wingers considering that our centers aren't exactly super stars. Vanek changed everything.

Let's hope galchenyuk develops into a good center man because DD is taking up a lot of development space.
Galchenyuk not playing center has absolutely nothing to do with DD.

If Galchenyuk were to dislodge someone to play center, he'd be dislodging Eller or Briere on a 3rd line. MT does not believe that AG is ready to be a center, and I happen to agree with him.

When you people try to dump every situations you don't like on DD's shoulders, it exposes your lack of understanding of the situation OR your irrational dislike for the player. At this point, it looks like you guys are desperately clutching at straws. It's hard to understand for me because, if anything, a local player should always be getting favorable bias. Why is it the opposite where a local player gets reverse bias and can't ever win ?

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Either anyone could do it, and DD contributes nothing basically since anyone could do it. Or you've just exaggerated like crazy and no, not everyone can get equal production.

And spoiler... it's the latter. DD is a fine playmaker with excellent hockey sense, vision and passing skills. He's also got an underrated wrister that he should use more. He is also small, not great defensively and not as fast as you'd like a player of his stature to be. But overall, he's an useful little player for a 3.5M cap hit and he clearly brings something to the Vanek/Patch duo that not every other center on the team could bring. If you compare with Briere, he wouldn't be a good fit because Briere likes to shoot more than DD. With Vanek and Patch we don't need a guy that's more of a playmaker and since you already have two star player together in Patch/DD, they don't need to have a Crosby/Getzlaf centering them. DD fits the bill perfectly.

See you don't make sense at all. If you say that Plekanec is better than DD and you put Plekanec with Vanek/Patch, doesn't it spread the offense even less ?

See, our strength is that we have depth at center. No true all star center who can do it all (log huge minutes while producing at a ppg) but the sum of all parts add up to more than the individual parts given the way they are currently used. And we don't spend a lot on them. Hell, Galchenyuk+Eller+Plekanec+DD make a combined 10-11M cap hit. Just Getzlaf makes 8.2M in cap hit. So, we have cap space to get wingers which are better than our centers. Guys like Vanek. Or, to be carried by our goaltending/defense.

A lot of the arguments being put forth are just disguised hatred for DD. He's a fine player. Useful. We can win with him. He makes 3.5M and he won't be carrying the team, he shouldn't be expected to. He's not our best player on the ice, nor is he paid like he is. I can already hear your response that he is used like our best player but that's a load of BS. He's used in a way that makes sense within the team. Hell, we've been winning games like crazy despite some truly horrendous showing from our D at times. All lines are producing because Vanek has pushed Gionta to the third line, and Gallagher can play with Plekanec, so everything is where it should be. I don't see what's there to complain about. The problem was always that we didn't have enough quality wingers considering that our centers aren't exactly super stars. Vanek changed everything.

Galchenyuk not playing center has absolutely nothing to do with DD.

If Galchenyuk were to dislodge someone to play center, he'd be dislodging Eller or Briere on a 3rd line. MT does not believe that AG is ready to be a center, and I happen to agree with him.

When you people try to dump every situations you don't like on DD's shoulders, it exposes your lack of understanding of the situation OR your irrational dislike for the player. At this point, it looks like you guys are desperately clutching at straws. It's hard to understand for me because, if anything, a local player should always be getting favorable bias. Why is it the opposite where a local player gets reverse bias and can't ever win ?
I guess everyone here wanted Roy gone too because he's a local boy.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

How about Galchenyuk? Is his wrister worse than DD's? Are his hockey sense, vision, and passing skills all less than DD's?

Perhaps he's smaller? Worse defensively? Slower?

Also, LMAO at Briere liking to shoot more, what a stupid comparison. Let's take a player who's usually the only offensive option on his line, and compare his preference for shooting to a guy with TWO 40 goal scorers on his wings, because in that scenario, the only variable that would influence their respective decisions to shoot or pass is obviously their personal inclinations :rolleyes:

A lot of the arguments being put forth are just disguised hatred for DD. He's a fine player. Useful. We can win with him. He makes 3.5M and he won't be carrying the team, he shouldn't be expected to. He's not our best player on the ice, nor is he paid like he is. I can already hear your response that he is used like our best player but that's a load of BS.

The only BS here is your hand-waving away of how DD is treated, all so you can grovel and mewl about him some more. Care to explain how a guy with top PP time and TWO 40 goal wingers ISN'T "used like out best player"? :laugh:

I suppose teams use their best player with guys like Gionta, or giving them the privilege of having nearly double the average time of the next closest Center on the PK? :laugh:

What laughable garbage your arguments are.

All lines are producing because Vanek has pushed Gionta to the third line, and Gallagher can play with Plekanec, so everything is where it should be.

Great, so Plekanec only gets decent wingers as a fringe benefit to the team AGAIN giving DD the best offensive capital we have!

MT does not believe that AG is ready to be a center, and I happen to agree with him.

Great minds think alike, huh? :laugh:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
You gotta give the little guy props - he is producing quite well this year, first 20 games aside. And he has a decent cap hit for what he brings to the table. But it is time for him to make a significant impact in the playoffs. As the team's top offensive center, he needs to do much better this post season. Otherwise, it is going to be another one and done.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
He's over used, one dimensional and this team transformed into a one line team again, and he's the only center producing. Can you not see out side of that line no one is doing anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad