David Desharnais a legit #2 center. Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Is Desharnais's Contract Still Bad

So now that he is producing is his contract still considered bad? In my opinion it isn't, with the cap rising 3.5 million isn't very much for what he brings.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So now that he is producing is his contract still considered bad? In my opinion it isn't, with the cap rising 3.5 million isn't very much for what he brings.

If he can average at least 45 points then the contract is good. He will do that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Point wasn't about it being bad or not. It's a small deal, no cap crippling affect. But the point was that we have 3 other guys we want to use as centers over him.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada

He's a positive value asset now. If we put him on the market in the off-season, we could probably net a decent 2nd/3rd liner or a 2nd Round pick or a good 2nd-tier prospect. So no, his contract isn't bad right now.

3.5 million a year isn't bad for a center with his level of productivity.

That's not to say that he's a long-term solution for a Top 6 Center spot on this team, but it is to say that his contract/cap hit is not a problem any more.

Bleu Blanc Rouge

Jan 30, 2010
Montreal
The problem is that our management knows that we need to get bigger, but they signed him for 4 years... we need size down the middle, we drafted the player that can finally fill that spot but we are playing him Lw.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'll admit that he's grown on me in the last 6 weeks, I'm actually starting to believe that Pacioretty is better off with DD than without him.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
No, it's not a bad contract at all. 3.5 million will only be 5% of our salary cap next year assuming it's at 70 million at least. That's a good deal!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
If he continues to be a top 20 center in scoring as he's been the past four months...most teams would consider $3.5M as being a bargain. In talking with the Islanders' director of player development Eric Cairns a couple of weeks ago, he regrets having lost Desharnais few years ago, and thinks he's developed into a pretty decent NHLer. He likes Cammaratta..and compared him to DD...which he thinks would make him a helluva pick in the long run.

Some teams aren't going to be crazy about DD given his size, but if he fizzles in the playoffs and Bergy shops him at draft time I'm sure there'd be some teams interested in a player who was a top 20 center in points over the last 2/3 of the season.

I think Chuck needs to be a top two center next season..time to get some size/skill up the middle, regardless of what DD does in the playoffs.

If it's DD and Chucky as the top two next season..fine. It's time for Pleks to be the third line center. Eller? Either fourth line center or a switch to wing...I think he should be given a shot in the top-six on the wing next season. I'd give Bournival a full shot as fourth line center..have him mentor under Plekanec for the third-line center role.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He's playing with intensity again. As long as he does that, the contract will be a fair deal.

There's now uncertainty about how effective Plekanec and Eller will be over the next 3-4 years. So having Desharnais around may prove to be important.

PricePkPatch*

All long-term contracts signed by Bergevin so far have been very solid.

Pacioretty, Price, Desharnais. The iffiest at the moment is Emelin, but I seriously believe he will get back on track.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The problem has never been Desharnais himself. It's how the team is built. Don't sign Briere, don't re-sign Gionta and it's all fine. In october 2014, you just have DD and Gallagher in the top 9. Surround them properly and voilà.

On the right team, Desharnais is clearly worth his cap hit. Unfortunately, the Habs likely won't be that team next year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Contract is ok for a regular season DD. The problem is his inability to handle a long play off grind...

OnlytheCH

HockeyTimes
Jun 16, 2013
Canada
Point wasn't about it being bad or not. It's a small deal, no cap crippling affect. But the point was that we have 3 other guys we want to use as centers over him.

Well those 3 other guys you want over him are either not getting it done or are not ready to get it done. He's the most offensively gifted center we have right now. When Gionta isn't re-signed and we fill that spot with a more dynamic player out top 6 will be stronger and Desharnais will only be better. Anyways 3.5 mil is absolutely wonderful if he continues to be a 45-60 point player for us, but I think his ceiling will end up being higher then that.

PricePkPatch*

i think we would be smart to trade him, this is the highest his trade value will be. you don't win stanley cups with david desharnais as your center.

That's a cheap gratuituous easy line that just makes a generic statement of fact without actual consideration for a teams situation or context.

I hate it, and I hate when people say it. It's dumb, leads to pejorative judgment and does not take a critical look on the facts; just on a quick one-liner.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If he continues to be a top 20 center in scoring as he's been the past four months...most teams would consider $3.5M as being a bargain. In talking with the Islanders' director of player development Eric Cairns a couple of weeks ago, he regrets having lost Desharnais few years ago, and thinks he's developed into a pretty decent NHLer. He likes Cammaratta..and compared him to DD...which he thinks would make him a helluva pick in the long run.

Some teams aren't going to be crazy about DD given his size, but if he fizzles in the playoffs and Bergy shops him at draft time I'm sure there'd be some teams interested in a player who was a top 20 center in points over the last 2/3 of the season.

I think Chuck needs to be a top two center next season..time to get some size/skill up the middle, regardless of what DD does in the playoffs.

If it's DD and Chucky as the top two next season..fine. It's time for Pleks to be the third line center. Eller? Either fourth line center or a switch to wing...I think he should be given a shot in the top-six on the wing next season. I'd give Bournival a full shot as fourth line center..have him mentor under Plekanec for the third-line center role.

lets hope other GMs think of him that way instead of the 50 pts players that he'll probably be by season's end.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
10 games, 2 points in his playoffs...that's against the east. You think lil ole desharnais can do anything in a series vs the west provided the habs ever get that far? Lets be real.

Well to be honest, you never know. You're just spitting s*** right now.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
i think we would be smart to trade him, this is the highest his trade value will be. you don't win stanley cups with david desharnais as your center.

The issue with statements like this is winning a cup is something very difficult to do.

I can just as easily say "you don't win cups with Carey Price and/or PK Subban on your team" and odds are due to the competitiveness of the league both may never see or a final or win a cup. Would I be right? Of course not.

You cannot win with...is a very annoying statement for that reason. There's more than 1 way to win, some with DD are possible.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well that's wrong because teams win cups with norris calibre d-men and vezina calibre goalies all the time.

HOwever you don't see teams winning 16 playoff games with 5'6 centerman that can't play a lick of defense.

Who said he can't? You know who had least GA while we got blown out last year's playoffs? Do I really need to say it?

dreamingofdrouin*

I'll admit a few month's ago I wanted him gone asap...thats the habs fan in all of us...jumping to conclusions...changing our minds over night...over reacting and just simply being bat **** crazy. Don't deny it...its true....we're ****ing nuts. But desharnais has been one of our best players recently....we played ****** today even though we won and i noticed DD the most....the guy just holds on to the puck when the rest of our forwards juggle it and bobble it to living hell....he's the only guy who can score in the shootout....and despite being 5'7 he does have tremendous heart......briere has to go...bouillon has to go...gionta has to go...but if we fill all those spots with appropriately sized players....i actually think theres a spot in this lineup for DD...especially for 3.5 mil and if he can recapture his 60 point season.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
David Desharnais is playing very well since the end of his season starts slump. He's not a big, physical centre, but he's got great IQ and fantastic playmaker. Although his shot is absolutely average at best, he started getting more success when he started diversifying his plays more and shoot more often. At the start of the year, he would of probably tried to pass on a breakaway.

I can understand that he's not the ideal 2nd line centre on a contending team, but he's well worth his contract and I'm sure he will continue to produce in the following years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad