David Desharnais a legit #2 center. Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yep. We beat Boston and hes mad that his boy got shut down. I bet its vaneks fault. At least his buddy will put up some points tonight against the sabres and he can ***** about the "haters".

You need to read Habstraction's posts.

He is one of the most level headed posters on this forum.

Habstraction takes the point of view that there are too many people who are too quick to single out and jump on an individual player in an effort to have a scape goat.

He and I disagree regarding Coach Therrien. Other than that, Habstraction is nothing more than what a lot of us should be........fans of the Habs without a knee-jerk desire to bash a certain few Habs players.

He was spot in with regard to his assessment that very few of the Habs forwards were able to shine with the aggressive pressure of the Bruins.

Relax man. Enjoy the games. Its more fun watching hockey instead of focusing on a certain player waiting for the inevitable mistake or miscue.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

He is one of the most level headed posters on this forum.

Habstraction takes the point of view that there are too many people who are too quick to single out and jump on an individual player in an effort to have a scape goat.

He and I disagree regarding Coach Therrien. Other than that, Habstraction is nothing more than what a lot of us should be........fans of the Habs without a knee-jerk desire to bash a certain few Habs players.

He was spot in with regard to his assessment that very few of the Habs forwards were able to shine with the aggressive pressure of the Bruins.

Relax man. Enjoy the games. Its more fun watching hockey instead of focusing on a certain player waiting for the inevitable mistake or miscue.

:laugh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

He is one of the most level headed posters on this forum

you should follow your own advice and read more... the only thing I've seen him do in this particular thread is whine about other people's comments.

simple advice everyone should follow : you dont like a thread, dont ****ing read it.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
wait is dd a hipster?

anyway he's producing again so yeah there's that

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's 1.6something extra faceoffs so if are rounding then it's 2 faceoffs a game ;)

I think most of the advanced stat websites have them. At behindthenet you just have to click on the extended view for zone starts and it will give the numbers of wins/losses for each zone.

86 faceoffs is a fairly huge amount. By my rough estimate that's about 5+ pts for a player.

5 points doesn't qualify as "OMG that's how we get all his points"

I also don't think it's 5 points, by that logic if he has 400ish zone starts he should have 25 points just because of ES zone starts, makes no sense.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Yeah, he's really maximized Vanek and Pacioretty!! :laugh:

Absolutely. These are arguably two of the top wingers in the East, playing together for the first time. No center is better equipped to elevate them to the next level than Master David Desharnais. ;)

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Absolutely. These are arguably two of the top wingers in the East, playing together for the first time. No center is better equipped to elevate them to the next level than Master David Desharnais. ;)

Couldn't agree more. The way he would pass to Vanek when Pacioretty was covered, and to Patches when Vanek wasn't an option really produced A TON of chances against Boston!! Just like LL and ECH called it!

And don't get me started on all the points/quality chances that line produced vs. Buffalo using that exact same system! Just a really great idea putting all our eggs in one basket; feels really good not to rely on our goaltenders to win games, you know? :yo:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
5 points doesn't qualify as "OMG that's how we get all his points"

I also don't think it's 5 points, by that logic if he has 400ish zone starts he should have 25 points just because of ES zone starts, makes no sense.

Whoever said that's how he gets all his points? It's one component, there's the extra PP time gets + two high end goal scorers. It starts to add up to a lot of points. Also since we are talking relative it's double the actual number in terms of swing. So it's a 10 point difference if we were to have used say Plekanec for all those draws.

5 points was a rough guess. I figure a faceoff won leads to a shot on goal on average. Granted a lot of times the puck is turned over or the shot is blocked/missed the net but it's probably balanced out by the times there are rebounds & the opponents winning the faceoff and turning the puck over, etc... Granted it's far from perfect but should give a general idea.

So 86 faceoffs * 50% faceoffs * 12% shooting % (DD+Pacioretty+Gallaghers combined shooting %) = 5.12 goals.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I don't think you can actually add shooting percentage to get the fraction of plays that end up as a goal after a successful faceoff.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Couldn't agree more. The way he would pass to Vanek when Pacioretty was covered, and to Patches when Vanek wasn't an option really produced A TON of chances against Boston!! Just like LL and ECH called it!

And don't get me started on all the points/quality chances that line produced vs. Buffalo using that exact same system! Just a really great idea putting all our eggs in one basket; feels really good not to rely on our goaltenders to win games, you know? :yo:

I thought I'd go back and read the last few posts I hadn't read yet. Thank you for providing entertainment. Did not disappoint. ;) :p:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To think, if it weren't for Guy Carbonneau's suggestion, Habs would have never signed Desharnais.

DD would be in Europe now.

Last edited:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought I'd go back and read the last few posts I hadn't read yet. Thank you for providing entertainment. Did not disappoint. ;) :p:

He never ceases to amaze. He'd rather have Eller between our two best wingers, skating around in the offensive zone puck hogging before making a bad decision and the play fizzles.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
DD is now tied for 31st in scoring among all centers with 47 points despite only receiving the 66th most TOI among centers (17:00 per game).

He is tied for 77th among all NHL players in scoring.

46 points in his last 53 games. That equates to a 71 point pace per 82 games.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Have not posted about DD in many months, but will say this:

He deserved the criticism before.

He deserves all the praise now. He is making that Vanek/Patch combo click. I love Plekanec to death and I'm very happy with his role, but DD has played extremely well, not despite his size or whatever -- he's just been a very good hockey player, period. Hope he keeps it up. He's using the same strengths as two years ago, definitely got the shiftiness back.

Edit: I wasn't trying to compare DD to Pleks overall -- just saying that DD is the best C for Patch and Vanek IMO.

Last edited:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
DD is now tied for 31st in scoring among all centers with 47 points despite only receiving the 66th most TOI among centers (17:00 per game).

He is tied for 77th among all NHL players in scoring.

46 points in his last 53 games. That equates to a 71 point pace per 82 games.

Love reading people clinging to paces. As if a pace is sustainable. As if DD is a ppg player. Season totals are all that matter because they include the peaks and valleys of an entire season.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Love reading people clinging to paces. As if a pace is sustainable. As if DD is a ppg player. Season totals are all that matter because they include the peaks and valleys of an entire season.

IMO season totals don't even tell the whole story. It's why Plekanec is so valuable to this team. As for goals, I think it also matters when a player is able to step up.

DD sucked harrrrd for most of the season. For a good month to two months, he's been a big part of our success. Not the only one, not by any means. But he's done what I expect out of him. Sure we COULD have Tavares centering our first line, but we don't. So it's all about whether, given what we've got, is our 1a/b center getting the job done -- and right now he is. Patch/Vanek/DD seem to me to be synergistic, and sometimes you really have to evaluate a line, not an individual player to judge the value of said individual player.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
DD might well be a 70 point player in these conditions.

Vanek and Pacioretty as wingers, Subban and Markov feeding pucks from the back-end, favourable match ups and zone starts.

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
IMO season totals don't even tell the whole story. It's why Plekanec is so valuable to this team. As for goals, I think it also matters when a player is able to step up.

DD sucked harrrrd for most of the season. For a good month to two months, he's been a big part of our success. Not the only one, not by any means. But he's done what I expect out of him. Sure we COULD have Tavares centering our first line, but we don't. So it's all about whether, given what we've got, is our 1a/b center getting the job done -- and right now he is. Patch/Vanek/DD seem to me to be synergistic, and sometimes you really have to evaluate a line, not an individual player to judge the value of said individual player.

Nice to see that not all of hf is busy pushing their agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad