David Clarkson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The Jackets may realize soon enough that paying Horton to not play is better than paying Clarkson to play.

The plan is to buy him out in the summer. How he plays is irrelevant.

A player on LTIR can't be bought-out. The fact that the contract is uninsured made it a financial nightmare for CBJ.

Horton is owed $25.9m over the rest of his deal (not including the rest of this season).
Clarkson is owed $22m.

So that's $3.9m of savings right off the bat.

A Clarkson buyout should save approximately 1/3 of $22m, or about $7.3m

$3.9m + $7.3m = $11.2m in salary saved over 5 years. That's a substantial amount for a small market team.

Unless CBJ can get a team to take Clarkson at half or more of his salary in a trade, he'll be bought out this summer.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The plan is to buy him out in the summer. How he plays is irrelevant.

A player on LTIR can't be bought-out. The fact that the contract is uninsured made it a financial nightmare for CBJ.

Horton is owed $25.9m over the rest of his deal (not including the rest of this season).
Clarkson is owed $22m.

So that's $3.9m of savings right off the bat.

A Clarkson buyout should save approximately 1/3 of $22m, or about $7.3m

$3.9m + $7.3m = $11.2m in salary saved over 5 years. That's a substantial amount for a small market team.

Unless CBJ can get a team to take Clarkson at half or more of his salary in a trade, he'll be bought out this summer.

I thought the way Clarkson's contract was arranged (bonus heavy) that even a buyout wouldn't save Columbus much money. Because you still need to pay full bonuses on a buyout.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I thought the way Clarkson's contract was arranged (bonus heavy) that even a buyout wouldn't save Columbus much money. Because you still need to pay full bonuses on a buyout.

Is that true? I thought it only referred to the effect on the cap hit. I could be wrong though.

My understanding is that you always end up saving 33% of the salary.

Tyler Biggs*

People can say what they want...there were several teams in the bidding for Clarkson and a couple even offered more than the Leafs. It's obvious teams still have interest in this guy but he need the right structured team and opportunities (i.e. fist PP unit) to play on to be successful.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Is that true? I thought it only referred to the effect on the cap hit. I could be wrong though.

My understanding is that you always end up saving 33% of the salary.

Because of the way the deal is structured – with more than 75 per cent of the money in irrevocable signing bonuses – Clarkson has the rare indestructible contract, one that guarantees him the vast majority of his money no matter what.

The only part of the deal the Leafs can really buy out is one-third of the $8-million in remaining base salary, meaning Clarkson would receive all but $2.7-million (or 8 per cent) of the contract, and Toronto would have an enormous amount of dead money on its cap.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/

The CBJ are stuck like Chuck with the Clarkson contract. All because the clowns in management wanted to save about $100,000 in insurance premiums on Horton.

And you guys think Nonis is a clown. He's never done anything as idiotic as Jarmo Kekelainen did with the insurance fiasco.

Except maybe signing Clarkson:laugh: And Jarmo fixed that for him.

Nonis for Kekelainen and a 3rd round pick. Hell, we'll throw in John Davidson for nothing. Which is about what he's worth.

Tyler Biggs*

It is unfortunate that David Clarkson did not work out for himself or the Leafs. Hopefully he will fare better in Columbus. He is a class act and will be missed.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/

The CBJ are stuck like Chuck with the Clarkson contract. All because the clowns in management wanted to save about $100,000 in insurance premiums on Horton.

And you guys think Nonis is a clown. He's never done anything as idiotic as Jarmo Kekelainen did with the insurance fiasco.

Except maybe signing Clarkson:laugh: And Jarmo fixed that for him.

Nonis for Kekelainen and a 3rd round pick. Hell, we'll throw in John Davidson for nothing. Which is about what he's worth.
My understanding is they weren't able to insure Horton at all

Disgruntled Observer*

People can say what they want...there were several teams in the bidding for Clarkson and a couple even offered more than the Leafs. It's obvious teams still have interest in this guy but he need the right structured team and opportunities (i.e. fist PP unit) to play on to be successful.

It's only an internet rumour that another team offered Clarkson more money.
It is not a fact.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Yes the rumor is a team like Ottawa (and maybe another) were looking to stick it to the Leafs in order to take Clarkson. Like a prized prospect (or prospects) and draft picks. It wasn't to help the Leafs or because Clarkson is the missing piece to your team. It was more like bend over Toronto.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

No team is going to ruin their first PP unit by putting Clarkson out on it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
And they improved their pp once he left. Have to wonder how much better the Devils pp would have been with out Clarkson losing battles and mishandling pucks. More zone time for guys like Elias and Kovalchuk

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It is unfortunate that David Clarkson did not work out for himself or the Leafs. Hopefully he will fare better in Columbus. He is a class act and will be missed.

Yes, he will. It really hurts our tank. I'm counting on the other guys to pick up some slack, but lets face facts, nobody can suck like Clarkson.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I still can't believe it , it's like a wonderful dream and i'm afraid i'll wake up and i'll see him in a Leaf uni.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Yes, he will. It really hurts our tank. I'm counting on the other guys to pick up some slack, but lets face facts, nobody can suck like Clarkson.

Nope. Clarkson killing the offense on whatever line he's put on and his extremely dumb penalties will be dearly missed by the tank.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
It's only an internet rumour that another team offered Clarkson more money.
It is not a fact.
Didn't Nonis mention Clarkson took less to play here after he traded him? I thought he did

Either way it's certainly not an internet rumour

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
You do realize that the NJ Devils let Clarkson walk as a UFA, and opted to give similar money to Ryane Clowe, right?

It's pretty clear how lowly they thought of him, which was one of the reasons I cited that the Leafs shouldn't touch him.

What's even more hilarious is that their PP IMPROVED even with the departure of Kovalchuk.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You do realize that the NJ Devils let Clarkson walk as a UFA, and opted to give similar money to Ryane Clowe, right?

It's pretty clear how lowly they thought of him, which was one of the reasons I cited that the Leafs shouldn't touch him.

They actually tried to re-sign him. But when they couldn't, they signed Clowe instead at 4.875 per if my capgeek memory is correct. I believe it is. I can check when I get home. I have the spreadsheet saved. I'd wish you would be more accurate with your accounts.

Last edited:

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
They actually tried to re-sign him. But when they couldn't, they signed Clowe instead at 4.875 per if my capgeek memory is correct. I believe it is. I can check when I get home. I have the spreadsheet saved. I'd wish you would be more accurate with your accounts.

They could have signed him. They chose not to. Thus, they let him walk.

Lou saw this coming before anybody did. And he's probably having a good chuckle about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad