David Clarkson Discussion Thread. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
For everyone's sake, you have to hold out hope he puts it together next season. I always wondered why it took him so long to drop the mits. Even when he left the bench in preseason, he didn't actually do anything. I think players like him need to battle to get their head in the game. It's as if he suddenly thought he was a finesse player. If I were him I would go out and get in a clean fight with somebody reasonable so it doesn't make it even worse. He doesn't even have to win, just draw or wrestle the guy down after a few jabs. Show the heart everyone talks about. Be smart about it and do it under the right circumstances because I got news, if Orr isn't playing, Clarksons the official policeman this season.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
For everyone's sake, you have to hold out hope he puts it together next season. I always wondered why it took him so long to drop the mits. Even when he left the bench in preseason, he didn't actually do anything. I think players like him need to battle to get their head in the game. It's as if he suddenly thought he was a finesse player. If I were him I would go out and get in a clean fight with somebody reasonable so it doesn't make it even worse. He doesn't even have to win, just draw or wrestle the guy down after a few jabs. Show the heart everyone talks about. Be smart about it and do it under the right circumstances because I got news, if Orr isn't playing, Clarksons the official policeman this season.

I think people have different expectations of what "putting it all together" entails. If he's only getting primarily 3rd line minutes and spot duty on the 2nd PP unit then he'll be lucky to put up a 12 goal/30 point season. I don't think we'll ever get a 20 goal season from him considering he'll never be on the first line (unless Kessel is injured).

For me, putting it all together is a 15 goal season with 200+ hits and fighting when necessary. To ask anything more is unrealistic, and it would be better for everyone if Leafs fans only expect this kind of production, contract aside.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I am not excited in any way shape or form about Clarkson and am not looking forward to him at all. This stain needs to be removed from the team asap.

I am convinced this was a Lieweke PR signing forced on Nonis. There is no way Nonis actually wanted this bum it just doesn't add up.

Disgruntled Observer*

How DARE he waste our precious cap space like this.
HOW DARE HE!!!!!

His STUPID contract harmed our ability to get good free agents last week.

HOW DARE HE do this to us. Us fans who pay our HARD EARNED MONEY on the team. And our cap space is wasted on this NOTHING.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
How DARE he waste our precious cap space like this.
HOW DARE HE!!!!!

His STUPID contract harmed our ability to get good free agents last week.

HOW DARE HE do this to us. Us fans who pay our HARD EARNED MONEY on the team. And our cap space is wasted on this NOTHING.

Not sure if you forgot the :sarcasm:

I think the guy sucks too, but this seems overly dramatic. Any one of us would have signed that contract if it was offered to us. Managements fault, not his.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm with DO.

This guy is a prepostor and needs to be jettisoned from this team immediately.

Admit mistakes, correct them asap and move on. This was a mistake.

My only hope is he gets buried on the 4th line or injured. He's a black hole on any line. Those hoping/thinking he will turn it around...umm, there is almost zero reason to believe he will be much better. Not like he was carrying an injury around and not like he wasn't given a chance with good players and on the pp. he was. epic fail.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Clarkson has the right to take the gift contract and the fans have the right to boo him out of town. He's lucky he doesn't live in Europe, whistling is much more annoying than booing.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
He may have thought he had a leg up by structuring his contract to be buyout proof. But whether it's having been on the East coast for so long or just his general stupidity, he doesn't seem to have any idea of the vitriol of so many Leaf fans after this many years of losing and as he keeps sinking further down the lineup and things get really ugly, he's going to wish for a buyout. But for those of us who think this time next year is the real teardown and we're probably too talented on the 1st line wings and in goal to have a good shot at McDavid, Clarkie and Carlyle are our aces in the hole.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I'd take all the Leafs fan vitriol they could throw at me for the lottery win a scrub like Clarkson won. Bet he's enjoying the 5 months annual holiday any player who signs with the Leafs is guaranteed. He must be enjoying this lovely weather in Muskoka with his family spending all that MLSE money.:laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd take all the Leafs fan vitriol they could throw at me for the lottery win a scrub like Clarkson won. Bet he's enjoying the 5 months annual holiday any player who signs with the Leafs is guaranteed. He must be enjoying this lovely weather in Muskoka with his family spending all that MLSE money.:laugh:

If I were in his shoes, I'd feel pretty bad. Yeah the money and lifestyle is great, but if I ever fulfilled my childhood dreams of playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs or even managing them and my mere affiliation was crippling the organization, that's a bad feeling.

officialmark*

If he doesn't come to play this season he will boo'ed out of town. The Alfie treatment.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

I hear ya. If I was in his shoes I would try my best on the ice and cry all the way to the bank if all fails. He hit the jackpot that so many strive for, and good for him. Unfortunately for us, management got caught up in the hype. And the blame should mostly go to them. He was a third line player before he got here, and he will continue to be one. Hopefully we can sucker another GM in taking him.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
If I were in his shoes, I'd feel pretty bad. Yeah the money and lifestyle is great, but if I ever fulfilled my childhood dreams of playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs or even managing them and my mere affiliation was crippling the organization, that's a bad feeling.

I find it hard to believe whenever pro athletes wax poetic about how much they want to play for their hometowns. It's all contrived ********. Ultimately it's about the money for all these guys.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
maybe i'm the only clarkson fan left on this board... but i still like the guy. i think he's a good player if used correctly. i thought he looked good playing with holland and bolland. he didn't work well with kadri.

i know he had a bad season last year, but that doesn't mean he can't have a good season this year.

i think he's going to be a useful guy to have in the line up this coming season. it looks like we wont be dressing any fighters, so i expect clarkson to do most of the fighting and tough guy work.

one thing our game really lacked last season was a good forecheck... and I think clarkson is very good at that. if his linemates just get the pucks into the corners, clarkson is very good at digging those pucks out even if the defender gets there before he does.

it also seems like we're adding tougher and grittier players and I think clarkson fits into that type of system more. clarkson will work much better with a guy like komarov than with a guy like raymond.

i know that most people here would disagree, but i would rather Clarkson at $4.2 for 4 years than Kulemin at $4.2 for 4 years. Now... would I rather Kulemin for $4.2 for 4 years vs. Clarkson for $5.2 for 6 years??? I think it's pretty close. I still think that Clarkson is the type of guy with a lot of heart... and somethings it's things like that, that can make the difference.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So basically, the short version of all this is that Leaf fans hate Clarkson and the crappy contract he has. Do we really need to add a part V that will just be an expansion of what I just wrote?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I find it hard to believe whenever pro athletes wax poetic about how much they want to play for their hometowns. It's all contrived ********. Ultimately it's about the money for all these guys.

How so? Do you not think these guys were fans before they made it to the show? Connor Brown and Matt Finn are both massive leaf fans, do you think they don't care now that they have money?

Obviously the money needs to be right as well (this is a career after all), but why wouldn't a player who was a fan before going pro want to become a hometown hero?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

I think a lot of them really do prefer to play in their hometowns. But it has nothing to do with loyalty to the team or city - it's all about living close to family which is nice if you have kids. If their wives are from another city then they're usually happy to go that place as well.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
How so? Do you not think these guys were fans before they made it to the show? Connor Brown and Matt Finn are both massive leaf fans, do you think they don't care now that they have money?

Right. They don't care. They'll say they do, but it's a fairly minor consideration. Most people once they grow up their priorities shift to family (if they have one), career objectives, and money.

Even if you grew up a die hard Leafs fan why would you want to join the organization with this dysfunctional management? I'd rather go somewhere I have a better chance to win, where I'm paid more, and it would be nice to go somewhere hockey players aren't recognized in public too. Toronto is where I'd want to go to raise kids and retire though, that's why over the years we've been good at attracting veterans who are winding down their careers.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Right. They don't care. They'll say they do, but it's a fairly minor consideration. Most people once they grow up their priorities shift to family (if they have one), career objectives, and money.

Even if you grew up a die hard Leafs fan why would you want to join the organization with this dysfunctional management? I'd rather go somewhere I have a better chance to win, where I'm paid more, and it would be nice to go somewhere hockey players aren't recognized in public too. Toronto is where I'd want to go to raise kids and retire though, that's why over the years we've been good at attracting veterans who are winding down their careers.

I'm not saying it would ever take priority over things like family and to an extent money, cause even if the Leafs were a stellar winning organization, it likley still wouldn't for many players. This doesn't mean that they don't care, and I guarantee some care a good deal. Also, not everyone wants to avoid the spot light, some chase it.

You stated the problem though, players don't want to come to a dysfunctional organization in general so the smarter young players are smart enough to stay away from a team they could likley piss away their career playing for. Look at Kessel for example; this guy could be the Kane or Carter on the Hawks/Kings, winning 2 cups and having many deep runs. Instead he's taking **** from fans and media for failing to make the playoffs (after scoring 37 goals and PPG) because management decided to build a team around him.

When we actually get a good young team, then we will attract all types of players, including those home town players who see an opportunity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad