David Clarkson Discussion Thread. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feenom

Jan 15, 2003
Spliffton
Visit site
The good news is there's no way he can be as bad as he was last year ... Right??

lol, maybe he will start off with a 20 gm suspension, then play 12 games, get 0 goals, gets an injury for 33 gms and then sits in the dungeon for the remainder of the season since Leafs don't make the playoffs again?

Nah, seems too farfetched.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Have to disagree, most were saying to stay away. Just wish that he was from Ottawa.

I don't remember that. I recall the biggest issue was term. Some people were pissed with the amount. I wasn't really concerned with the cap hit, but I definitely thought he was signed for two years longer than he should have been. I'm willing to give him another chance, and I think most people should as well. Encouraging people to do better usually works better than emotionally abusing them. If he doesn't hit 15-20 goals next season, we can admit to having a big problem on our hands. I think you usually need 2 years to determine a contract, though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Haha, Marion Gaborik's cap hit is only 4.875 million, lower than Clarkson's. This deal just looks more and more comically worse.

Yup, you beat me to it.

there's 29 other teams to choose from, why are you waiting for another team to come to Ontario?

as well as - something I think people should be realising. Clarkson got his money on the open market. Gaborik did not. I am fairly certain had Gabby hit the open market he is not getting what Lombardi signed him for.

Um what? On the open market players get more, not less.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
lol, maybe he will start off with a 20 gm suspension, then play 12 games, get 0 goals, gets an injury for 33 gms and then sits in the dungeon for the remainder of the season since Leafs don't make the playoffs again?

Nah, seems too farfetched.

Wouldn't that be an improvement?

A definite yes.Maybe he can't be traded or waived to the Marlies, but at least sit him in the pressbox for 82 games. If Feenom's sequence comes true, the Leafs make the playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
record with/without a player is such an asinine way to judge a player.

A good chunk of Clarkson's GP was when we had Bolland, and Bozak both out of the lineup, and even Kadri for a few games, but of course, we were losing because Clarkson was in the lineup and not because McClement was our freakin 2C.

We had an awesome record with Colby Armstrong, should we bring him back?

There are plenty of other things to go after Clarkson for, don't use record in/out of the lineup.

Kyle Doobas*

A definite yes.Maybe he can't be traded or waived to the Marlies, but at least sit him in the pressbox for 82 games. If Feenom's sequence comes true, the Leafs make the playoffs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
gaborik just singed a 7 year, 4.7M per...

wow ... just wowww

7 Years/$4.9 million for 704 career points and eight 30-goal seasons.
7 years/$5.25 million for 181 career points and one 18+ goal season.

Figure out which player belongs to a recent two-time Cup winner and which player belongs to the Maple Leafs

Tyler Biggs*

David Clarkson had a terrible year, from the get go, a 10 game suspension, trying to do too much, just not finding his place.......give the man another shot Leafs fans, I think he will prove his value this year.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Stop using the suspensions as an excuse. THEY WERE HIS ****ING FAULT!!! He has no one but HIMSELF to blsme for being a ****ing idiot and jumping off the bench to join a fight in a meaningless preseason game. He also has no one but himself to blame for drilling Sobotka in the head.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
there's 29 other teams to choose from, why are you waiting for another team to come to Ontario?

as well as - something I think people should be realising. Clarkson got his money on the open market. Gaborik did not. I am fairly certain had Gabby hit the open market he is not getting what Lombardi signed him for.

Easier said then done...basically brought up in T.O and been here my whole life...hard to start suddenly cheering for another city I have no ties to, for me atleast...but another GTA team...maybe I can rid myself of my addiction to the leafs..

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
7 Years/$4.9 million for 704 career points and eight 30-goal seasons.
7 years/$5.25 million for 181 career points and one 18+ goal season.

Figure out which player belongs to a recent two-time Cup winner and which player belongs to the Maple Leafs
LA won a cup, he'd like more therefore he took a discount

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

Maybe he can be marketed as "The McDavidator" to whichever teams think they have a chance at McDavid if they traded for him.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Anyone ever play with the the CapGeek buyout calculator with the Clarkson contract?

Have a go if you want to know just how bad this contract is not just in dollars and term, but its insane structure (mostly bonus based, more actual salary later in the contract etc.)

It is literally structured to be unmovable and pointless to buyout. Like WTF?!?!?

Anyway, if you enjoy torturing yourself have a go here and type in 2015, 2016, and keep going and notice how little cap hit we would save if he were bought out right to the end of his deal.

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=780&buyout_y=2018&buyout_m=07&buyout_d=20

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Anyone ever play with the the CapGeek buyout calculator with the Clarkson contract?

Have a go if you want to know just how bad this contract is not just in dollars and term, but its insane structure (mostly bonus based, more actual salary later in the contract etc.)

It is literally structured to be unmovable and pointless to buyout. Like WTF?!?!?

Anyway, if you enjoy torturing yourself have a go here and type in 2015, 2016, and keep going and notice how little cap hit we would save if he were bought out right to the end of his deal.

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=780&buyout_y=2018&buyout_m=07&buyout_d=20

:laugh:

I just played around with the lineups and i dont even think i'd want Clarkson in the top 9, yet he still has 6 years left :laugh:

Its starting to look like one of the worst contracts in the history of NHL.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We'd be better off (further ahead cap ease wise) trading him and retaining 2 million in salary per year.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I just played around with the lineups and i dont even think i'd want Clarkson in the top 9, yet he still has 6 years left :laugh:

The Rime of the Ancient Nonis.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's essentially buy-out proof! The only way to move it, would be to trade him while retaining 50% of the salary.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto

Who structured this thing, Satan?

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014

Put him on the 4th line with Holland and Ashton/Bodie. Let them play physical and cycle together. Hopefully he pots a few goals and regains his confidence playing 9- 10 mins/night.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Put him on the 4th line with Holland and Ashton/Bodie. Let them play physical and cycle together. Hopefully he pots a few goals and regains his confidence playing 9- 10 mins/night.

Yea, right. Watch everything go well then Carlyle gives him PP time and he drains it from all its offence. Then Carlyle continues to use him there for 20 games while blaming everyone but him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad