David Clarkson Discussion Thread. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
This constant ''dont worry he will come good in the play offs'' is starting to get very annoying

You dont spend 5.25 million a year on someone just to play well in the play offs

Wonder what the excuse would be if by some miracle we make the play offs & Clarkson is still god awful :shakehead

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Can someone tell me when fans are going to start booing him? Because I still don't hear it. There should be so many boos and jeers when he's on the ice that he feels it right down to his always falling on his ass bones.

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
Booing him isnt going to get his contract off the books, which is all we want.

What we can hope for at this point is that he scores 30 points next season and plays like a $3mil player next season

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Couple questions for you guys:

Can the Leafs trade Clarkson and send the cash for the rest of his contract as part of the deal to a team that would then amnesty him? Or is there a specific rule against that?

If not possible, whether with an actual rule or because the league would prevent that from happening, would you guys be interested in "selling" him to another team? What I mean by that is what if another team said, "Sure, we'll take him, for two first round picks." What would be the maximum cost you would pay in assets?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
One thing we have to give him some slack on. David Clarkson isn't built to be on a rush team, he is a player for a grinding, defense, puck possesion team.

As much as he has underperformed I put a lot of the blame on management bringing in a player that doesn't fit with the current squad.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Calling up D'Amigo was a smart move. Now all you have to do is bench Clarkson and call up Holland.

Holland-Bolland-Raymond
D'Amigo-McClemment-Bodie

Is a pretty good bottom 6. I would bench Clarkson for the rest of this season, **** the guy. Such a half ass performer, all he does is lose the puck, get into useless fights and put us in ****** situations by racking up minor penalties.

I rarely hate a player, but I actually get a little bit angry every time I see Clarkson on the ice. He doesn't even have character, you can tell everything he does is some phony act.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010

Can the Leafs trade Clarkson and send the cash for the rest of his contract as part of the deal to a team that would then amnesty him? Or is there a specific rule against that?

If not possible, whether with an actual rule or because the league would prevent that from happening, would you guys be interested in "selling" him to another team? What I mean by that is what if another team said, "Sure, we'll take him, for two first round picks." What would be the maximum cost you would pay in assets?

We would probably cover 1M of his yearly salary and add a B level prospect just to get him off the team. He would go to a place where he could have a second chance, like the oilers.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He should get better with a new coach with a system. He's also shown a will to fight (more than can be said for Orr this year), so absolute worst scenario is he can serve as our designated fighter who can also pot a dozen.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
One thing we have to give him some slack on. David Clarkson isn't built to be on a rush team, he is a player for a grinding, defense, puck possesion team.

As much as he has underperformed I put a lot of the blame on management bringing in a player that doesn't fit with the current squad.

Well he isn't any good at cycling the puck, since his passing sucks, he's slow and has terrible balance. He's at his best standing in front of the net while someone else has the puck. I don't know any kind of team that skill is really useful for considering how bad he is at everything else. He's like Tomas Holmstrom without the goalscoring.

Witness him skating into the zone with the puck last game, head down, only to get creamed by Zac Rinaldo, who casually picked up the loose puck afterwards and skated down the ice. It's really hard to be more useless than Zac Rinaldo, but Clarkson manages it.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

And yet he wins fewer board battles than Kessel.

Seriously, every time he goes into the corners, he comes out on his ass.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

We would probably cover 1M of his yearly salary and add a B level prospect just to get him off the team. He would go to a place where he could have a second chance, like the oilers.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. I'm thinking at a minimum we would have to anti up more cash, possibly a lot more cash.

For example, we couldn't move Liles contract, and he had a smaller term and salary. Circumstances/timing were a little different for Liles though of course.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Every ****ing time I see him try to even attempt a cycle he ends either up falling on his ass, giving the puck away, mis-playing it to the opposition or just straight up getting owned physically. I'm starting to think his "cycling prowess" was not even there to begin with. Nikolai Kulemin is 10x better on the cycle than Clarkson, even Holland is way better on the cycle. Raymond and Clarktard are about equal in the regard, and other than that Raymond is better at everything else than Clarkson.

Wildfire81

Mar 29, 2014
Toronto
I could never believe a player could sign such a contract and be as bad as he has been this year. he's been brutal, not cause of lack of goals, pts, he cant even keep on his feet. If you ignored his contract, i wouldnt even start him on the marlies, he's worse than an AHLer.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
There is nothing more that I can say about Clarkson at this point that I haven't already said or others haven't already said....but every once in a while I just need to come into this thread to let off some steam..

HE F***IN BLOWS!!! CAN'T WIN BATTLES, CAN'T SCORE, S**T A** INTANGIBLES...NOT EVEN GOOD ON THE 3RD/4TH LINE...AND DESTROYS WHATEVER LINE HE IS ON AND THEN THE CHERRY ON TOP..WE'VE GOT HIM FOR 6 MORE YEARS AT 5.25 MIL THAT WE COULD USE TO ACTUALLY GET A TRULY GOOD PLAYER!!
EVERYTIME I SEE A COMMERCIAL WITH HIM I CHANGE THE CHANNEL BECAUSE I'M AFRAID I'LL ACTUALLY PUNCH MY TV AND BREAK IT!!

Ok I'm done...thank you

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009

Two firsts is way too ridiculous, that's what it cost to acquire Kessel. Also have to keep in mind that this guy was the #1 coveted free agent just 8-9 months ago with the Oilers being rumoured to offer him even more money (6 mil per). I'd personally give him another year and if he still sucks, then I'd be willing to retain something like 25-30% of his salary and giving up a prospect like Leivo/Finn/Percy just to get him off the team. He's an albatross right now who is neutralizing every line he's playing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad