David Booth III (MOD Warning Post #123)

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Booth is awful.

Useless during team's chase for a playoff spot.

Scores goals when team looks to tank.

No entertainment value, no funny tweets, creepy smile 24/7.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
By some reports, the cap will not go up as high as previously thought due to the weakened Canadian dollar. The Sedins' cap hits will both increase plus some extra cash will be required to resign Tanev, Kassian, and potentially Santorelli. And there's Luongo's retained salary to factor in, too.

And there are some FAs available - Gaborik, Vanek, Iginla, Callahan, Ott, Statsny, Cammalleri, etc. But you will need the cap space to take a run at one of them. Maybe not all are fits, but there are definitely players out there that could improve this team.

And failing that, you give the slot to a young player in the system.
The cap is still going up to ~70m either way, more than enough to cover the roster increases and add a free agent. Of those you listed MAYBE Cammalleri might've signed here when gillis was here, other than that none of those stars are going to choose a rebuilding canucks team.

I don't personally think gifting roster spots to young players is the right move, and definitely not if that cost is buying out a player that could have a bounce back year. In a year when you're not a contender anyhow.

Buying out booth to give his spot to a rookie just makes that a 5m rookie..... Let them play in Utica and develop slowly (cough Detroit cough) and earn a call up or fill in for injuries.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
The cap is still going up to ~70m either way, more than enough to cover the roster increases and add a free agent. Of those you listed MAYBE Cammalleri might've signed here when gillis was here, other than that none of those stars are going to choose a rebuilding canucks team.

I don't personally think gifting roster spots to young players is the right move, and definitely not if that cost is buying out a player that could have a bounce back year. In a year when you're not a contender anyhow.

Buying out booth to give his spot to a rookie just makes that a 5m rookie..... Let them play in Utica and develop slowly (cough Detroit cough) and earn a call up or fill in for injuries.

Such a risk. What happens if they falter? You just going to pick up a free agent halfway through the season?

I don't think we'll be able to spend enough money in FA anyway to force our hand on Booth. He still has an eye for the net (to an extent) and his size and physicality is severely underrated.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012

Not really giving his spot to a rookie. Higgins and Matthias should be fighting for 3rd LW. Booth money would be better spent on improving the 2nd line.

Most of the teams in the league have young players making a difference. Letting them slowly develop on the 3/4 lines (cough Kes/Bur/Kas) allows them develop a more complete game, while rubbing shoulders with better players. IMO, Horvat gets the 9 games; Gauce, Shinks, Fox and any other significant Utica player are given a serious look in the early season. After that, callups distributed to the best players.

I'd really like to see the Nucks drive hard to get Niskanen. He's a puck moving Dman on the rise. This team desperately needs a guy like that. Good on the PP/QB as well. Pits will want to keep him, so he'll need an overpayment to move.

Wetcoaster

Deerly Beloved...

OK we always knew that David Booth was one weird dude - one of the few things that Tortorella actually assessed accurately.

But a wedding ceremony at the spot you bagged your biggest deer (Montana wilderness) and featuring the head of said deer.

It should come as no surprise that David Booth's June wedding will not be an entirely traditional affair.

For starters, it won't be in a church, although Booth and his fiancee, Ashley Durham, are both deeply religious.

Instead, the ceremony will be held deep in the Montana woods at a spot that has significant sentimental value for the Vancouver Canucks winger.

"We are getting married in a field where I shot my biggest deer," said Booth, an avid hunter who recently made headlines when he kissed a Grizzly bear. "I want the deer head in the wedding somehow."
Booth is planning more of a traditional honeymoon.

"I can't do a hunting trip with her," he said, with a tinge of disappointment in his voice.

The couple plans to take a cruise through the Mediterranean.​
http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...ve+dead+deer/9738273/story.html#ixzz2yvCkq9tO

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
He is not a good third liner.

He is a good 4th liner. When you have no other expectation except quality north-south play, Booth looks like a decent player.

The second you put him with players that use spacing, passing and timing, he is a clear detriment. He doesn't have the vision to consistently create quality passes. He doesn't have the technique to consistently execute those passes if he did see them. He doesn't see passing lanes well and he can't work himself free within them at the right times. Putting him with creative players is an excercise in futility and it hampers the players he plays with - you see this with the Sedins in particular but with Kassian too.

He is not good enough defensively for a shutdown role that would keep him earning minutes.

He is a big bodied 4th liner that plays a simple up the boards game. He can gain territory and attack the net. He can create some chaos and capitalize on some chances.

At 4+ million he is an obvious cut. We spent less than 2 million this season on both Santorelli and Richardson. Even without a quality big name to buy, that money could be better invested in camp tryouts.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
OK we always knew that David Booth was one weird dude - one of the few things that Tortorella actually assessed accurately.

But a wedding ceremony at the spot you bagged your biggest deer (Montana wilderness) and featuring the head of said deer.

It should come as no surprise that David Booth's June wedding will not be an entirely traditional affair.

For starters, it won't be in a church, although Booth and his fiancee, Ashley Durham, are both deeply religious.

Instead, the ceremony will be held deep in the Montana woods at a spot that has significant sentimental value for the Vancouver Canucks winger.

"We are getting married in a field where I shot my biggest deer," said Booth, an avid hunter who recently made headlines when he kissed a Grizzly bear. "I want the deer head in the wedding somehow."

"I can't do a hunting trip with her," he said, with a tinge of disappointment in his voice.

http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...ve+dead+deer/9738273/story.html#ixzz2yvCkq9tO

I read that and thought... That man wears the pants... Honestly, who thinks they would get away with that sort of thing for that wedding... Nice.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

He is a good 4th liner. When you have no other expectation except quality north-south play, Booth looks like a decent player.

He had a start that was beyond lousy. But starting to play over the last stretch, he put up almost 20 pts still. If you assume that's his likely production going forward, he's a 4th liner. If he can put up 30 pts (very likely IMO), then he's putting up top-end 3rd line points, and while not a classic shutdown 3rd liner, he does something very handy - he moves the puck up ice, puts the puck on net, and gets a whistle so another line can come out (sometimes he scores two, which is nice).

Those attributes which were so frustrating as a second liner are actually very good attributes to have in a 3rd liner.

I say he gets kept next year, and if the team isn't in the playoffs, then come deadline he gets traded.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
He had a start that was beyond lousy. But starting to play over the last stretch, he put up almost 20 pts still. If you assume that's his likely production going forward, he's a 4th liner. If he can put up 30 pts (very likely IMO), then he's putting up top-end 3rd line points, and while not a classic shutdown 3rd liner, he does something very handy - he moves the puck up ice, puts the puck on net, and gets a whistle so another line can come out (sometimes he scores two, which is nice).

Those attributes which were so frustrating as a second liner are actually very good attributes to have in a 3rd liner.

I say he gets kept next year, and if the team isn't in the playoffs, then come deadline he gets traded.

That's what you want in your fourth line. A truly good team needs a 3rd that is more than getting the puck down the ice... particularly when your 2nd center matches top lines.

It isn't about the points he produces. He limits what his line can do.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The second you put him with players that use spacing, passing and timing, he is a clear detriment. He doesn't have the vision to consistently create quality passes. He doesn't have the technique to consistently execute those passes if he did see them. He doesn't see passing lanes well and he can't work himself free within them at the right times. Putting him with creative players is an excercise in futility and it hampers the players he plays with - you see this with the Sedins in particular but with Kassian too.

He is not good enough defensively for a shutdown role that would keep him earning minutes.

He is a big bodied 4th liner that plays a simple up the boards game. He can gain territory and attack the net. He can create some chaos and capitalize on some chances.

At 4+ million he is an obvious cut. We spent less than 2 million this season on both Santorelli and Richardson. Even without a quality big name to buy, that money could be better invested in camp tryouts.

Just curious, do you think Evander Kane is a good 4th liner?

I ask because a lot of the criticism being leveled here against Booth has been doubly leveled against Kane. Poor vision. Straight line player. Simple game. Not good enough defensively...

I think his style is throwing off your assessment.

-----------------

FTR, I see him getting bought out because I think the Linden will try to leverage every bit of cap space he has at his disposal to turn the team around quickly. If they buy out his contract, they can supplement the top6 with a middling piece from another team, like a Stafford or a Stewart. Gives their top6 a different mix at a low cost.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013

Kudos to him.
I don't care where he gets married and he can have a whole herd of bison in attendance as long as he comes back fit, keeps passing the puck (a minor miracle this season and what was intrinsically wrong with his game) and knocking in the goals, I will be pleased to have him back.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
He is a good 4th liner.

David Booth is a career .5 PPG player. That's the second line, not the fourth.

When Booth has been healthy in Vancouver, that is precisely the pace he has produced at. (6pts in the last 10 games, or 29P/56games his first year in Vancouver). He seems to have good chemistry with Kassian. What's not to like? There's absolutely no reason to buy out David Booth if what we've seen lately is what we get (and in the absense of serious injury, why wouldn't it be?).

You buy out a player if you plan on spending the cap space on someone better (otherwise there's no point), but who is that "somebody better"? With the cap going up and teams having money to spend I'll cheerfully bet that most (if not all) of the free agent forwards who sign for $4m this year will produce less next season than David Booth does.

(If we're looking to buy someone out, we should look at Burrows first.)

Last edited:

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
I'm firmly on the 'keep Booth' bandwagon.

He looked far better the last 2 months, regained some of his explosiveness and was consistently finishing his checks.

The benefits of keeping him to play out the final year of his contract outweigh paying him to go away IMO.

Keep him, see how he does... and maybe he'll show that the last 2 months were no fluke. Maybe he puts up points and re-gains his old form.

If not, trade him / put him on waivers later on. He may even have additional teams willing to take him on if he's only got half a year left on his contract.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm firmly on the 'keep Booth' bandwagon.

He looked far better the last 2 months, regained some of his explosiveness and was consistently finishing his checks.

The benefits of keeping him to play out the final year of his contract outweigh paying him to go away IMO.

Keep him, see how he does... and maybe he'll show that the last 2 months were no fluke. Maybe he puts up points and re-gains his old form.

If not, trade him / put him on waivers later on. He may even have additional teams willing to take him on if he's only got half a year left on his contract.

I've said that TL would want to leverage Booth's cap space because the NTCs restrict what he can do, but he could just bring him back. Booth finished strong and has an offseason of training ahead of him. He didn't get to train last offseason. Maybe he builds on this...?

He's in that Stafford/Stewart/Parenteau/Bourque zone where they are 2nd liners looking for a bounce back next year. All making around 4m per. 2nd line money in a 71m cap. I dunno. Is it worth buying him out and searching for an equivalent value player, or just keeping him and seeing what he can do with another centre?

Tough call but I think they may just bring him back. Contract year.

arsmaster*

I'd bring him back. Might as well tank next year too.

Im not sure how much better of a player we'll get at his cap hit.

Maybe he'd return a late pick?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'd bring him back. Might as well tank next year too.

Im not sure how much better of a player we'll get at his cap hit.

Maybe he'd return a late pick?

You don't think the team would bring him back with the intention of trying to compete?

I'm not sure which way they go with player movement, but it's as you said, there's no certainty with the type of player they get with his cap-hit. If BUF accepted a pittance for Stewart/Stafford, then make the swap. Otherwise, just get him another centre and see what he can do when fully healthy I think...

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
FTR, I see him getting bought out because I think the Linden will try to leverage every bit of cap space he has at his disposal to turn the team around quickly. If they buy out his contract, they can supplement the top6 with a middling piece from another team, like a Stafford or a Stewart. Gives their top6 a different mix at a low cost.

Ugh....replace David Booth with another player who costs the same with just as many issues.

Stewart would be worthwhile for sure. I think he'd be a great fit on either of the top lines.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ugh....replace David Booth with another player who costs the same with just as many issues.

Stewart would be worthwhile for sure. I think he'd be a great fit on either of the top lines.

Hmmm interesting, I actually think Stafford is a safer bet than Stewart right now. Stewart completely checked out of STL. I was able to catch some games and he was terrible. Not just invisible, but hard to watch. Stafford is smarter. He doesn't care, but he's smarter.

Anyways, yes, it's that type of swap the team will have to make a call on.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I read that and thought... That man wears the pants... Honestly, who thinks they would get away with that sort of thing for that wedding... Nice.

Pretty easy to 'wear the pants' when you make 4+ million dollars a year...

Buy him out.

This guy is a hunter, not a hockey player. He just happened to be pretty good at hockey and got this far. He doesn't care about being the best player he can be, he cares about his paycheck and his next hunting trip. He plays like he doesn't care, respect or even understand the sport. Sick of this guy myself, rather see a roster spot open for a guy that wants to be a hockey player.

Another year is just a waste of everyone's time. He's not getting any better, he doesn't care to.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'd keep Booth. If he stays healthy and puts up something like 15/15 (or 20/20 if he gets PP time) and provides his typical good possession numbers, I'd offer to extend him for another 2-3 years. He wants to stay, is willing to take heat and play down in the line-up, and seems to remain positive despite all this.

I like what I saw when he was healthy and don't see a need to buy him out. I think the contracts we see this summer might have people re-evaluating whether they'd be that upset about paying Booth 4 million a year to be a third liner moving forward...

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Cap space or roster spot may determine if Booth stays or goes. The team is loaded on LW with Daniel, Higgins, Matthais, Booth and Sestito while Burrows and Richardson can also slide over. Its unfortunate there isn't an ideal 2nd line option amongst them. It is a lot of depth that can really be hit or miss. Booth sure was skating better to close out the season and was pretty physical and once he start getting his shot on net he potted a couple. I would think Booth's return hinges on what happens with Kesler. If Kes moves, Booth doesn't. If Kes stays, Booth moves.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

Buy him out.

This guy is a hunter, not a hockey player. He just happened to be pretty good at hockey and got this far. He doesn't care about being the best player he can be, he cares about his paycheck and his next hunting trip. He plays like he doesn't care, respect or even understand the sport. Sick of this guy myself, rather see a roster spot open for a guy that wants to be a hockey player.

Another year is just a waste of everyone's time. He's not getting any better, he doesn't care to.

Hahaha what the hell? So he's only allowed to think about hockey all the time just because he plays in the NHL?

You do realise the amount of work and dedication it takes to get there right? Not like he just slipped, landed on the ice, and woke up with 20 some goals one day.

Treefingers

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 21, 2006
Vancouver

Buy him out.

What a load of nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad