Player Discussion David Backes

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Is it even worth it to buy him out? The ducks don't need the cap space next year, so saving cap is not an issue.

The only reason to buy him out is to save the actual cash, which would be at most $1M (not sure if Boston gets 25% of the savings). Whatever the ducks save ends up being spent on Backes' replacement who is probably a 4th liner/rookie.

It seems to me the ducks would be better off just keeping him as a 12/13.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I hope he gets to 1000 career games. Take good care of him for us. :)

He's sitting at 948 right now. It sucks but I don't see him playing in 40-50 games next year (if he's playing). Maybe close to that but that might make it even worse if he's done with 990 total.

But yeah I'd like to see him reach that too.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's sitting at 948 right now. It sucks but I don't see him playing in 40-50 games next year (if he's playing). Maybe close to that but that might make it even worse if he's done with 990 total.

But yeah I'd like to see him reach that too.

If he can play all 12 remaining games this year, he'll need 40 next year to reach 1000. Certainly within the realm of possibility.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If you just focus on him for an entire shift, you can see just how bad he is.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
If he can play all 12 remaining games this year, he'll need 40 next year to reach 1000. Certainly within the realm of possibility.

I agree, it's within the realm thereof. But 40 games is half of the games scheduled. He's one somewhat bad hit away from being sidelined for a while again. (then there's the whole Grant wildcard...).

Again, I hope that he makes it, I really do. But if I were to bet, I'd probably come down on the wrong/sad side of the 50/50 toss up.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you just focus on him for an entire shift, you can see just how bad he is.

Can you imagine if Grant was still here with Rowney and Des running hot? We’d have a 4th line that is more of a 3rd line on most teams. I really don’t care for our 3rd line. Keep waiting for them to score some goals , not happening.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
If he can play all 12 remaining games this year...

This post didn't age well...sigh

(in the grand scheme of things, I fully understand & agree with the suspension, but for cases like this...it's going to suck for various players who needed those games to reach 'x' (did Getz get an assist the other night or did his streak of 30 assist seasons come to an end? - assuming that the suspension will eventually become cancellation when it becomes too silly to have the end of the 19-20 season overlap with the 20-21 training camp))

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In that Athletic's Zegras article it was mentioned that Zegras communicated a lot with both Getzy and Backes. Backes would come down to the dressing room in the games he was scratched, and give Z avice, based on what he saw up there.

Honestly, Backes trade was a great deal for us.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
In that Athletic's Zegras article it was mentioned that Zegras communicated a lot with both Getzy and Backes. Backes would come down to the dressing room in the games he was scratched, and give Z avice, based on what he saw up there.

Honestly, Backes trade was a great deal for us.

That's nice to hear. Too bad that Backes was at the end of his career when he came to Anaheim. Would have fitted the team based on the way he played when he was younger and faster. Good retirement to him.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That's nice to hear. Too bad that Backes was at the end of his career when he came to Anaheim. Would have fitted the team based on the way he played when he was younger and faster. Good retirement to him.
Absolutely. Dude was a warrior, and even though his body kind of fell behind, he left an impression as a really really good guy to have in the locker room, especially around our young guys. Sounds like Comtois, Zegras and others had a strong bond with him. He's a good role model to follow.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he was still solid in just about every game he played. better than grant and deslauriers for sure and seemed like he was constantly getting the puck to the net

really not sure why eakins didn't play him more

Reactions: Paul4587

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
he was still solid in just about every game he played. better than grant and deslauriers for sure and seemed like he was constantly getting the puck to the net

really not sure why eakins didn't play him more

Yeah, but he obviously wasn't the kind of player he once was. That version of Backes would have been awesome to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad