Player Discussion David Backes

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That’s not displacing Steel, though, that’s running out of bodies. Backes was playing 8:33 in Boston before the injury.

Will have to see which roster all the skill kids are on tomorrow at 3
We should send all the kids down to put them in a winning environment with something to play for

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think you guys will appreciate Backes. Honestly. He's not the player he was 5 years ago but he's not bad - although the last concussion is a worry. He was playing 3rd and sometimes 2nd line on a team that came in 2nd last year and went to The Finals. He brings it every night and does whatever he's asked. He's slower than he was - but he's also one of the true veteran leaders in the league which young rebuilding teams can use.

I said for a long time that in the right situation he could still be a valuable member of a team in the right environment. Hopefully it works out for y'all.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
From the comments we're hearing from B's fans, I'm getting a Chris Kelly vibe.
In what way? I don't see the comparison to Kelly.
I have to say that I loved the fact that Deslauriers went after Clifford and made a point of showing other teams/players that the Ducks have David's back. A big issue for me was the lack of response that the Bruins have had when it was time to protect certain players from needless hits like Backes took. The other night for example Brandon Carlo took a nasty elbow to the face from Florida Panther Evgeny Dadanov. At first he was given a 5 minute major but then the refs decided that no, it was a 2 minute minor. The DoPS also didn't give him a suspension. The point being that no Bruin went after Dadanov which to me is a terrible precedent.
Anyway, in regards to Backes I felt that Bruins coach Cassidy takes an attitude of "every man for himself" when it comes to protecting each other because he hates taking penalties even when it's justifiable. Similar abuse to David Pastrnak has been ongoing with the Bruins not having any type of answer for it. Hopefully Nick Ritchie can change that. Glad to see that guys like Deslauriers will stand up and be counted when the need arises.

Last edited:

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
In what way? I don't see the comparison to Kelly.
I have to say that I loved the fact that Deslauriers went after Clifford and made a point of showing other teams/players that the Ducks have David's back. A big issue for me was the lack of response that the Bruins have had when it was time to protect certain players from needless hits like Backes took. The other night for example Brandon Carlo took a nasty elbow to the face from Florida Panther Evgeny Dadanov. At first he was given a 5 minute major but then the refs decided that no, it was a 2 minute minor. The DoPS also didn't give him a suspension. The point being that no Bruin went after Dadanov which to me is a terrible precedent.
Anyway, in regards to Backes I felt that Bruins coach Cassidy takes an attitude of "every man for himself" when it comes to protecting each other because he hates taking penalties even when it's justifiable. Similar abuse to David Pastrnak has been ongoing with the Bruins not having any type of answer for it. Hopefully Nick Ritchie can change that. Glad to see that guys like Deslauriers will stand up and be counted when the need arises.

That's 100% intentional. And the lack of response means he's free to do it again.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Unfortunately, I have not been able to see both David and Danton play yet- got some catching up to do. I miss them both, and I am so glad David is playing again. He is pure heart and soul. Will give you everything he's got and more.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Unfortunately, I have not been able to see both David and Danton play yet- got some catching up to do. I miss them both, and I am so glad David is playing again. He is pure heart and soul. Will give you everything he's got and more.
It’s obvious he’s trying but man is the guy slow. Sadly looks to be done as an effective player:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
It’s obvious he’s trying but man is the guy slow. Sadly looks to be done as an effective player:

Yep, pretty much this. It's unfortunate too because it's one of those situations where the mind is still sharp--he still anticipates the play pretty well--but the body just won't cooperate.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wonder if we consider buying him out.

upload_2020-3-8_21-46-34.png

Would save 1.5 in cap next year, adding only $750K for one additional season

Reactions: duxfan1101

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not a big fan of buying out 1 season. Just keep him around for 20-21 as the 12th/13th forward and let him be a mentor for Steel, Jones, Terry.

Yeah if we aren’t going to spend to the cap anyway it won’t hurt. He’s still as hell but can provide leadership and if he moves to wing on the 4th line I imagine he fares better than he has done playing at C. Boston used him primarily at wing and it masked his lack of speed a bit more.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Yeah if we aren’t going to spend to the cap anyway it won’t hurt. He’s still as hell but can provide leadership and if he moves to wing on the 4th line I imagine he fares better than he has done playing at C. Boston used him primarily at wing and it masked his lack of speed a bit more.
Doubt if he's going to play wing, Deslauriers and Rowney are set there.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’d only want to if we were going to use the space, either to bring someone in or maybe take on another cap dump for an asset

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’d only want to if we were going to use the space, either to bring someone in or maybe take on another cap dump for an asset

It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up getting LTIRed so we may not even need to buy him out anyway. Guy has had like 1000 concussions in recent years, Murray might be able to talk some sense into him to hang them up for his healths sake.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up getting LTIRed so we may not even need to buy him out anyway. Guy has had like 1000 concussions in recent years, Murray might be able to talk some sense into him to hang them up for his healths sake.

They might not even have to try that hard to convince him. He wanted to come here to prove he's still got something, playing low minutes when he isn't healthy scratched and a possible AHL assignment might be enough to convince him to walk away on his own terms, so to speak. On the other hand,like Kesler he could really want that 1000 games.

I'd probably prefer no buyout but that 2nd year cap hit is really super low. Its definitely not as crazy as other ones, its really manageable and you would see the savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad